Is 5w-30 mobil 1 safe to run for a 2014 5.3L Sierra?

Is it safe to run 5w-30 mobil 1 in a 5.3L sierra all year, even in the Wisconsin winters?

Too much confusion above.

2014+ up 5.3 and 6.2 engines require 0w20 engine oil. Run 0w20.

Safe? Yes. Ideal? Possibly not

I'm no petrochemical engineer, but I've seen some pretty detailed and factual posts here explaining how the differences are negligible at most operating temperatures we see here in the continental US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is fully safe to use a 5w30 in that engine. Sure, it may not be warranty safe, but even that is likely not really an issue. Many fleet buyers use the same 5w30 even in the new Ecotec 5.3 as they do in all their other fleet vehicles with nary a problem and no grief from GM. Even the tightest oil galleries are hundreds of times larger than the molecules of a 30 wt oil. Even bearing clearances, even under pressure, are several microns larger than even a 30w motor oil. And a 5w20 flows just as easily at start up as a 0w20 unless one gets in the double digit below zero temps. A 5w20 and a 0w20 are virtually identical. And there is no dealer or OEM on the planet that can tell the difference if they took a used oil sample.

There are too many other things in life to worry about than whether a 5w30 can be used in a engine that calls for a 0w20. And in Wisconsin, a 5w30 will work fine down to -23F. If one is expecting colder than that, a 0w30 would probably be better. I live in Iowa and use 10w30 year round. But my vehicles sit in a heated garage during the winter when not in use. Someone is going to have to find the memo that a 10w30, even a conventional one, will not work in the 3.6L engine in the wife's 2006 Cadillac CTS. GM felt that only M1 5w30 synthetic should be used. Somehow, that engine never got the memo, and that the Pennzoil 10w30 conventional won't work. Runs like a champ and we are keeping that 12 year old car for a lot longer.

And what it really comes down to, regarding dealerships, is treat them just like you would the police. Don't open your fat mouth and proclaim you are doing anything else but following the recommendations. And as for receipts, just explain that you buy oil in bulk and don't have the receipt. I buy all of my oil thru my commercial account with my oil supplier and there is no way they could tell what oil I put in the pickup from that invoice if they wanted to. Any invoice I would present them would have a bunch of different oils shown in the purchase. And my GM engines have never seen a official dexos1 approved oil in their life outside of the factory fill.

I have been using 5w-30 full syn dexos bulk oil since first change (900mi).

The only thing that is different is the engine is now silent on cold start, vs using 0w.

Engine used 1/2 qt or a bit more in 5000mi when new, now at 13000mi it used no oil at all at last change.

it is amazingly quiet at hot idle even after a full day towing 9000#

What does GM know, I sure wouldn't go buy their recommendation. It's not like they built them. I follow the manual till the warranty is up.

What does GM know, I sure wouldn't go buy their recommendation. It's not like they built them. I follow the manual till the warranty is up.

I would not "buy their" recommendation either, I got enough bills. Lol.

What GM does know is CAFE. That, above all else, is what is driving the trend to thin oils.

Archived