Ford 6.2 VS GM 6.0

I had a 2500 with the 6.0L for the last 10 yrs - 07 with the first gen 6sp transmission. I towed a 6000lb travel trailer all over Oregon and even a trip to Glacier Park the truck performed great. Most all hills were conquered in 4th gear at 3500-4000 RPM (about 55-60 MPH).

Yes I have watched the FLT Ike Gauntlet and while that is a newer truck, I think the results would have been the same for my old truck - as far as the downshifting goes, the transmission was only trying to protect itself - shifting while at peak torque could be damaging to the transmission - so yes it waits until the RPM is down in a safer range. Also these trucks are not made for long bouts of wide open throttle. They even eluded to it in the video by saying that GM wants you to let off and re-romp the throttle to get the downshift to occur.

In general I have found that Ford may have the best numbers, but GM puts more power to the road. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol safe is stock.  Drive the hell out of it with horsepiss for gas and never blow it up.  The trans shifting faster and firmer does not stress it.. adds longevity to the clutches if anything.  Not to mention you can lessen the hunting and bs they do stock.  Fuel economy... please... It's a 7000 lb truck with the aerodynamics of a brick so in short no it's not going to improve.  

Did you mean to safe as stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Summit15101 said:

Did you mean to safe as stock?

No... pretty obvious.  If you are concerned to death about your longevity leave the truck 100% bone stock. It has all the safeguards in the world to keep you from hurting it.  

15 hours ago, i82much said:

I definitely considered the Ford.  I did not consider the Ram, after my Jeep experience.  FCA needs an enema.  

Curious what your Jeep experience was. 

7 hours ago, 4wdriver said:

Curious what your Jeep experience was. 

Constant trips to the dealer and issues left unresolved.  A lot of Wranglers have heater issues, apparently due to casting sand or some other gunk in the heater core.  I had to go back to the dealer way too many times to get them to replace the heater core, I actually had to threaten a lawsuit.  

Oh, and I had death wobble, and the dealer kept trying to tighten the track bar bolt.  Finally they relented and replaced the steering stabilizer and it got better.  

There were other minor issues, too.  I've had five new vehicles and only Jeep had me going back to the dealer over and over again to get the same stuff fixed.  

14 minutes ago, i82much said:

Constant trips to the dealer and issues left unresolved.  A lot of Wranglers have heater issues, apparently due to casting sand or some other gunk in the heater core.  I had to go back to the dealer way too many times to get them to replace the heater core, I actually had to threaten a lawsuit.  

Oh, and I had death wobble, and the dealer kept trying to tighten the track bar bolt.  Finally they relented and replaced the steering stabilizer and it got better.  

There were other minor issues, too.  I've had five new vehicles and only Jeep had me going back to the dealer over and over again to get the same stuff fixed.  

Obviously Jeep Wrangler is a popular vehicle and one my wife has expressed interest in. What year did you have if you don’t mind me asking? My wife likes the unlimited. I know with any vehicle someone has gotten one they have few complaints about while others have a bad experience. It’s disappointing because Jeep is an iconic vehicle and should be bulletproof. 

1 hour ago, 4wdriver said:

Obviously Jeep Wrangler is a popular vehicle and one my wife has expressed interest in. What year did you have if you don’t mind me asking? My wife likes the unlimited. I know with any vehicle someone has gotten one they have few complaints about while others have a bad experience. It’s disappointing because Jeep is an iconic vehicle and should be bulletproof. 

2013 Rubicon Unlimited.  It was a lot of fun.  Ultimately I wanted something bigger to road trip with two kids in car seats and two large dogs, so I traded it in on my 2016 gasser crew 2500HD.  

Honestly, I would consider a Wrangler Unlimited again once the kids are older.  They are so much fun, removable doors and top, and there is no comparable vehicle on the market.  Unlike the Wrangler, Ram trucks have more or less equivalent alternatives available from Ford and GM, so I don't see any reason to buy a Ram truck.  I really wanted a stick shift and that can be had in the Ram HD trucks, but the quality issues with the Jeep pushed me to the GM instead.  

On January 16, 2018 at 11:43 PM, Summit15101 said:

Sorry I have only owned diesel trucks. So used to tuning with them. Not gas engines. Has anyone had issues with tuning the 6.0?

Both the 6.2 and 6.0 are great engines. I went with the 6.0  for the proven track record. My '15 6.0 pulls trailers and plows snow most of it's life.. I was stock for 37,000 miles Put a CZIPAR custom tune on it. I'm now at 49,000. No issues. The truck responds so much better. Perfect shifts. No down shifts on small grades. Down shifts perfectly when needed. The 6.0 is a work horse and with a mild tune it's unstoppable. My mileage stayed the same. I average around 8-10mpgs around town with loads. If you live in the midwest I can get you squared away with CZIPAR 380$ for a custom tune is a steal. I very rarely drive my 05 LLY Dmax anymore. 

On 16/01/2018 at 7:08 PM, 2017HD said:

Also these trucks are not made for long bouts of wide open throttle.

Actually These trucks and this engine combination are designed for long bouts of wide open throttle. Gm went through some extreme testing on the development of the 6.0. In all variations that are in the HD trucks.   This is why it is the Only gas option for HD>  Also another reason why the 6.2 is not an option from the half tons. The 6.2 is basically a hot rod engine. Meant for the Camaro and Vette that made its way into the light duty trucks to keep with the competition.   The l96 make peak torque at 4200RPM  and Peak Horespower at 5400RPM. It will tow its best if kept right around 4500 to 5000. In between the peaks etc.  This is how it was designed and should be run. You can pull anything with it. You just have to keep it happy in its rpm range and correct gear. Any big load and big hill under 4000rpm and you will start to drop speed and rpm will fall. Then all you do is shift up then down etc etc etc. pick a gear that keeps rpm in the range and you can hold that for a very long pull without issues.   Just my 2cs.       Id like a little more power. 450+ lbs and 400+ hp would be a nice improvement, But I dont think we will see a new gasser till 2020?

I work for a large fleet, and we have a lot of '07-up Chevy 6.0L's and a good number of Ford 6.2L's.  We don't tow a lot with these trucks (3/4 ton) other than arrow boards, small welders and air compressors.  The performance between the 2 is very close, but I would say the Chevy's at least feel a little faster.  The L96's are extremely reliable, the only problems I see with then are broken exhaust manifold bolts and water pumps once in a while.  The Ford 6.2L's are a lot better than those junk 5.4L 3 valve mods., so far so good.  Considering the whole truck, I think 2011-up L96 GM 2500's and 3500's are the best all-around large pickups.  

There's a lot of talk about the upcoming Ford 7X engine, it will be interesting to see what it is.  From what I understand, it will replace both the 6.2L V-8 and the 6.8L V-10.  But, what is even more interesting are the rumors I am hearing about a new large V-8 from GM.  Story is it will be used in the next generation HD's and the new Silverado 4500 and 5500.  My guess is it will be direct injection and will have the new 'Random Skip-Fire' AFM system, which should be a lot better that currect AFM systems.       

6 hours ago, C/K Man said:

There's a lot of talk about the upcoming Ford 7X engine, it will be interesting to see what it is.  From what I understand, it will replace both the 6.2L V-8 and the 6.8L V-10.  But, what is even more interesting are the rumors I am hearing about a new large V-8 from GM.  Story is it will be used in the next generation HD's and the new Silverado 4500 and 5500.  My guess is it will be direct injection and will have the new 'Random Skip-Fire' AFM system, which should be a lot better that currect AFM systems.       

I've read of few things about the 7x and latest I got was it'll be a twin cam 7.0. My initial thoughts would be typical Ford building a more complex engine to make the power but I'll at least wait to see what both GM and Ford do with this segment. GM can build a V8 better than anybody and I'm assuming they'll stick with a simpler push rod engine and create a more efficient and competitive package without a bunch of add ons from the parts bin. 

The rumor with the Ford is it actually will be a pushrod engine and not overhead cam at all... could be interesting.  If GM adds any sort of afm garbage with collapsing lifters and solenoids that's just going to be a fail like the current junk.  It honestly sounds like with the half tons all they did is made all 8 cylinders the same shitty afm lifter they currently only use on 4.  Fail.

7 hours ago, magnum74 said:

I've read of few things about the 7x and latest I got was it'll be a twin cam 7.0. My initial thoughts would be typical Ford building a more complex engine to make the power but I'll at least wait to see what both GM and Ford do with this segment. GM can build a V8 better than anybody and I'm assuming they'll stick with a simpler push rod engine and create a more efficient and competitive package without a bunch of add ons from the parts bin. 

You will not see a new engine that does not have all the garbage we all hate. The current gen GM 6.0 and Ford 6.2 is as good/safe as it will ever get.

Archived