4.6 vs. 5.3- potential buyer

I''m looking at the 2018 Silverado LT, and my dealer has one with the 4.6 (V6) and 5.3 (V8). I'm also not sure which speed transmission comes with each, so any insight as to which direction I should lean would be greatly appreciated. I'm not planning on towing much/if any with the truck, and if I did it would be a small trailer. I'm also curious to hear what everyone has to share regarding gas mileage on both.

Thanks!

Should be a 4.3 for the v6. I had a 15’ dbl cab 4.3. Is did just fine towed our 27’ camper all around MI. I would not have wanted to take it thru the mountains for sure. I just traded up to a 18’ max tow and the 5.3 with the 3.73 rear gear tows a lot nicer.  Oddly enough I get nearly identical mileage with the 5.3

If you're towing, make sure it has at least 3.42 gears. They also offer the truck in 3.08 and 3.73. The higher number the better from a towing perspective. All three gear ratios can be offered with the 4.3L V6 and 5.3L V8. Not sure what is offered with the 6.2L but I'd guess at least the 3.42 and 3.73. The 6 speed transmission is offered on the V6 and V8. I think the 8 speed transmission is only offered on LTZ trims or higher. Unsure if you can get the 8 speed with the 4.3L. If it were my money, I would get the V8 without hesitation. Hope this helps!

I'd get the V8 Everytime.  Have you ever had a vehicle and thought to yourself " this thing just has too much power"?  No, me neither.  But I have wished for more power many many times.

• Like 1

If your driving style really doesn't demand the v8, there is nothing wrong with the v6. If you are concerned with fuel mileage and don't tow, you want the 3.08 gears.

The fuel mileage isn't a huge difference, it's so hard to tell since it varies so much from person to person. There's people with a 6.2 that can average several notches over 20 mpg. Just like you could get 15 if you have a lead foot. Both engines will use v4 mode while cruising, so its similar.

If you are interested in the lower purchase price and you really don't need the v8, that's the route I would recommend. Just remember that any savings from buying a v6 will also be reflected in trade-in value later. Most truck drivers prefer the extra power even if they only rarely need it.

I had a loaner with the v6, single cab, 6 speed, base model. SLOW! And I'm in flat Florida. Couldn't imagine going up a steep grade with that motor, especially in a double cab with passengers. Accelerating onto highway and passing was difficult and required 100% throttle at times. I would only purchase a V8, even if I did not need to tow. The extra 70 horsepower helps A LOT.

Edited by ChristopherDB

Fourth post down. RCSB 4.3 on 87 pump gas. Actual time slips

http://www.silveradosierra.com/ecotec3-4-3l-v6/real-world-0-60-t483914.html

Browse the equivalent ET and Speeds for such cars as the 87 Ford Mustang GT or 76 Corvette L48. I've owned both and consider neither a one a toad. No not the quickest cat in the house but not a toad either. Neither one would take my 4.3 by enough to matter. 

https://www.zeroto60times.com

The 4.3 Ecotec3 isn't a slug when paired to the right truck and gear and quite economical as well if driven as an adult would. A little gear and E85 and you have a 14 second ride. 

This crap that it can't take a freeway ramp is just that, crap. 

I came from driving a v6 Colorado and I just bought 17 5.3. I love it. It's great in traffic and fun to drive. I tested a v6 and it just didn't have the pep I was looking for on the hwy or city.

Your just going to have to test drive both and see if you can tolerate the v6 vs the V8 or not.

Edited by jaxcam02

Like others have said, I'd go with the V8. Not saying the V6 is terrible but if I had to chose I'd pick the 8. If you're careful you should be able to get similar - or better - gas mileage out of the 8 because it won't be working as hard.

I wouldn’t have a problem buying a V-6 if the price point was different enough. I’ve had many (performance) vehicles since the seventies when 300 HP was the exception. My 17 Camry will out run my, 383 road runner, 74 Nova SS, all my SS impalas even my 94 to name a few. My wife’s 11 Genesis V6 R spec will out run my 06 LS2 powered Trailblazer SS. The V6 powered GM trucks are just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/1/2018 at 12:11 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Fourth post down. RCSB 4.3 on 87 pump gas. Actual time slips

http://www.silveradosierra.com/ecotec3-4-3l-v6/real-world-0-60-t483914.html

Browse the equivalent ET and Speeds for such cars as the 87 Ford Mustang GT or 76 Corvette L48. I've owned both and consider neither a one a toad. No not the quickest cat in the house but not a toad either. Neither one would take my 4.3 by enough to matter. 

https://www.zeroto60times.com

The 4.3 Ecotec3 isn't a slug when paired to the right truck and gear and quite economical as well if driven as an adult would. A little gear and E85 and you have a 14 second ride. 

This crap that it can't take a freeway ramp is just that, crap. 

It's going to take a lot more than "a little gear and E85" to get into the 14's with that drivetrain. Car and driver ran the 1/4 on E85 and had the same time as that slip you mentioned. 15.7 seconds at 89 mph. At that point you might as well purchase the V8 instead of trying to mod the v6. The $1200 additional for 70hp more on the V8 is a deal. You can't add anything to that truck short of a 100 shot nitrous to get 70hp more for under $1200.

1 hour ago, ChristopherDB said:

It's going to take a lot more than "a little gear and E85" to get into the 14's with that drivetrain. Car and driver ran the 1/4 on E85 and had the same time as that slip you mentioned. 15.7 seconds at 89 mph. At that point you might as well purchase the V8 instead of trying to mod the v6. The $1200 additional for 70hp more on the V8 is a deal. You can't add anything to that truck short of a 100 shot nitrous to get 70hp more for under $1200.

Not the point. Even 15 seconds is more than enough to negotiate any on ramp you have to contend with. I didn't say it did 15 on 87 octane. The driver of the truck produced the time slip. Evidently he is a better driver that C&D OR more likely it's a different truck package. KARNUT adds to my 'real life' examples at 383 Roadrunner to my 350  Corvette these RCSB V6's will dispatch with ease.

Are you confusing 'want' with "need' or maybe with 'greed'?  

4 hours ago, Doublebase said:

Like others have said, I'd go with the V8. Not saying the V6 is terrible but if I had to chose I'd pick the 8. If you're careful you should be able to get similar - or better - gas mileage out of the 8 because it won't be working as hard.

Now this is a realistic statement. If you going whole hog CCLB 'Top O' the Line" 6.500+ pound optioned out school buss AND hauling/towing then the V8 makes not just sense, it actually may be more efficient. I've experienced that myself. But for a WT there is simply not need past greed that demands it. I'll add this. Ain't a 5.3 on the planet that will use fuel more efficiently than Peppers 4.3. 

On 5/29/2018 at 12:36 PM, bamafan76 said:

I''m looking at the 2018 Silverado LT, and my dealer has one with the 4.6 (V6) and 5.3 (V8). I'm also not sure which speed transmission comes with each, so any insight as to which direction I should lean would be greatly appreciated. I'm not planning on towing much/if any with the truck, and if I did it would be a small trailer. I'm also curious to hear what everyone has to share regarding gas mileage on both.

Thanks!

I personally prefer the 4.3 but if the other truck is better equipped, then I'd choose the V8. You will read  claims by some forum members about the V6 lacking power.  It is an exceptionally good engine and the only time you may wish for more power is if you're on the dragstrip or pulling well beyond your limits.  I currently own a '15 4X4 CC Std.box Sierra with the 4.3.  I also pull a 22' travel trailer through hilly terrain and I've never "wished for more power". 

• Thanks 1