Powertrain Warranty and Transmission Service

I have almost 45,000 on 2016.  So I check the manual for recommended services. For Normal operation it does not even list transmission service. For Severe conditions it recommences Transmission service at 45k.  I have the 8 speed trans with the infamous Clunk.  So I'm wondering if I should service the transmission to protect my Powertrain warranty, even though I do not  use my truck in Severe conditions? 

It's probably just a filter and fluid change, you could get a quote by calling around a few places and see.  I am curious as well, I have done this myself in the past, but haven't looked into what it takes for these trucks.

I do not abuse anything I own, but I do use it. I find fluids and maintenance to be cheap, and my vehicles do not have the issues other do. I do live in a harsh environment and it is Africa hot here, alot of the year so I always follow the sever schedule. I had a problem '15 8 speed and now have a no issue '17 8 speed. They did upgrade and change the fluid after '15.? I would definitely do it and make sure you have the new recommended fluid they are using. I also wouldnt let any trans shop just do this, I am told there is a specified fluid at a certain temperature, with a special fill procedure. 

Edited by seamus2154

mine was changed out about 30k as part of the clunk in my 8 speed... they flashed the computers and changed the fluid in the tranny... 

Great question. There is no mention (that I see) for 'normal use' transmission fluid changes.  I tend to favor the severe use schedule but I also consult my service adviser on such matters.  (I know, I know)   I won't waste money if there is no preventative value but I believe a fluid change will help with the longevity of you transmission.

Yeah, manual I think pretty much has no info on 2016 series for 8peed other than @ 5years along with coolant?  Yeah, Joke!  Stealerships are now using Mobil Dexron HP equivalent.  I just had mine done for the 2nd time @55Kish.  I paid 300.00 bucks for the Filter and 8qts drop the pan replacement.

2 hours ago, djw88 said:

actually not a bad price

I was thinking the same thing, I'll pay that for the service when I need it.  It's not worth messing about if that's the cost, then the dealer can deal with the (probably finicky) fill procedure.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, Dr Awesome said:

I was thinking the same thing, I'll pay that for the service when I need it.  It's not worth messing about if that's the cost, then the dealer can deal with the (probably finicky) fill procedure.

Yeah, the fluid replacement without dropping pan is 180.00-200.00 ish?  It's pretty decent price