I did not want to be the first to post in this section, however here I am. I took my truck to get an xpel and ceramic coat quote and lone and behold we found some paint defects. The worst being the hood. It looks like there was either dirt in the paint, a run or both on the front of the hood. Second is multiple areas where the bed liner material was over sprayed onto the bed side. 

I dropped it it off to the dealer yesterday, the entire hood is being repainted and the bed liner material is being removed. 

Having the hood hood repainted one week after ownership isn’t exactly ideal, but may be a blessing. The factory clear coat is now water based, which is soft. There is a good chance that the repainted hood will have a harder finish. 

I did not want to be the first to post in this section, however here I am. I took my truck to get an xpel and ceramic coat quote and lone and behold we found some paint defects. The worst being the hood. It looks like there was either dirt in the paint, a run or both on the front of the hood. Second is multiple areas where the bed liner material was over sprayed onto the bed side. 

I dropped it it off to the dealer yesterday, the entire hood is being repainted and the bed liner material is being removed. 

Having the hood hood repainted one week after ownership isn’t exactly ideal, but may be a blessing. The factory clear coat is now water based, which is soft. There is a good chance that the repainted hood will have a harder finish. 

Any pictures of the bed liner problem?
How the heck do they remove the spray in bed liner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for your troubles CJ.  Hope they match the paint well on your Trail Boss.

As for removing spray liner overspray a clay bar may do the job if not too thick.  Otherwise one could use gasoline on a cloth to lightly rub out the material.

Either way it will be necessary to apply a paint sealant or wax afterwards.

8 hours ago, Loco Diablo said:

Any pictures of the bed liner problem?
How the heck do they remove the spray in bed liner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have pics but fortunately the bed liner doesn’t stick well to an un-prepped area. It comes off pretty easy. 

On 8/19/2018 at 11:55 AM, Cmillerjr said:

Factory paint has been water based since at least 2005 ish +/-, you can thank Democrat tree huggers / the EPA but, we probably saved some endangered gnats or horse flies by making the switch to water based, it's better than it was when it first came out... The paint they use to repair will be the same stuff used at the factory....

Edited by Imcrazy

On 8/20/2018 at 7:15 PM, Sierra Dan said:

Water based clear coat?

Sheesh..... is that durable?

It's much better now than it was when they switched in the mid 2000's... I had an 08 Civic that was pathetic...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

Factory paint has been water based since at least 2005 ish +/-, you can thank Democrat tree huggers / the EPA but, we probably saved some endangered gnats or horse flies by making the switch to water based, it's better than it was when it first came out... The paint they use to repair will be the same stuff used at the factory....

Yep, they are using PPG Waterborne clear coat. 

On 8/20/2018 at 6:15 PM, Sierra Dan said:

Water based clear coat?

Sheesh..... is that durable?

No it’s not, especially with black. Ceramic coating really makes a difference though. It adds a level of hardness that the clear coat lacks. 

On 8/22/2018 at 12:55 PM, woyster_00z71 said:

Which ceramic coating are you going with?

cQuartz Professional, by car Pro. I’m having the Xpel PPF installed on the hood and bumper as well. 

Edited by Cmillerjr

The paint defect/hood saga continues. The sent the truck out to have the hood painted and the end product didn’t go very well. Rather than send it out again my dealer is going to pull a hood off of one of the three black trucks in stock. 

This is where it gets interesting. Each of the black trucks seem to have a blem on the drivers side front of the hood. Almost like where the hood was hung when it was sprayed at the factory. None of the other colors on the lot have this blem, just the black. 

There is one of the three that the blem is minimal and isn’t visible. I was there after hours so I haven’t brought this finding to the dealerships attention yet. I’m courious to how this will play out. 

Man Chuck...

Im sorry to hear about your troubles and hope you have resolution soon!

There have been others who special ordered new 2019 trucks and they were pulled for QC

issues. The new RAMS have also had several QC problems.