Frustrated with Xpel PPF

Well, what I had feared since the day I had my Xpel paint protection film applied happened this morning.  Going down the highway, a truck kicks up a rock.  It happens in slow motion as there is nothing I can do but watch it careen towards me.  Thud, it hits the front of the truck.  Whew, I was afraid it was going to hit the windshield but thankfully I have Xpel on the entire front of the truck so it will be protected.....nope.

A you can see below, the rock caught the edge of the film and the film just tore away.  Mostly I'm truly frustrated because of how the film doesn't wrap the edges of the panels and even comes up short of the edges a bit.  I questioned this after the install and my installer said that was the way it was because that's how the patterns are cut.  I just knew this would happen at some point and sure enough....boom.  I'm also not too happy with how easily the film tore.  I get that it's a think film but it shouldn't peel back like that.  

I know, I'm ranting and complaining and blah blah but after dropping $1K to try to protect the tricoat paint, this does irk me a bit.  I know many folks out there have used Xpel and it's had held up fine but I just wanted to vent a little and give people something to consider.  I guess I'll have to contact the installer or Xpel direct to see what they will do.

O7x_zU7_fT2fWTodP0XB9aUgcS3pB2PUY6x8X3ZESW6wLo2BW6muRJktXNH-NBeGNbtOxCCAGUN4YS59udocBZMHsEE6p7Xmw_uRsP81BSGgGWh7HzJptGVJ

wow.. 1k.. and it tore like that?.. figured it should of repelled that rock.. and i'm sure thats exactly why you purchased it.... man sorry!.. .hopefully someone will chime in..

I have xpelon my 2017 Sierra and other trucks over the yes surprised it tore thru lifting on edge yes have seen that and  xpel  replaces no questions asked  take your warranty card to any xpel installer 

what version of xpel do you have they have 3 versions 

Edited by CDNSS

I have xpelon my 2017 Sierra and other trucks over the yes surprised it tore thru lifting on edge yes have seen that and  xpel  replaces no questions asked  take your warranty card to any xpel installer 

what version of xpel do you have they have 3 versions 
Xpel Ultimate I believe. I have emailed the installer with the above photos but haven't heard back yet.

Having a warranty on the film is great but only if it actually works. I believe it was the movie Tommy Boy that had a great line about guaranteeing a piece of crap auto part.

Getting the film replaced is one thing but what will they do about the chip in the paint?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The Ultimate is rhe self healing which I use not the toughest one they have but does not show  scratches etc and heals if you get any Ive never had a problem getting warranty when it bubbled or peeled back but I would say your installer should have wrapped it under the edge I know they say a template but a good installer will and can wrap the edges I made sure they did that in my hood.   Sounds like an installer issue to me Good luck  

I have rock chips in the paint on my bumper. The film isn't damaged but the paint is. If the rock is big enough and going fast enough it doesn't matter what you have. Its the unfortunate side effect of taking any vehicle out of the garage and driving it. 

Your chip is on the grill anyways, you wont have any rust

Edited by M1ck3y

Yeah, I hear ya.  This wasn't a big rock, just a piece of gravel, maybe marble sized (hard to say for sure) but going 70+ it does have some force.  Still though, for what they charge and claim, I expected better.  And, I've had the film for 3 months.  I just fear this will be an ongoing issue.

I am interested to hear from other people to see if their film wraps leading edges or comes up short like mine did.  Pictures would be fantastic as well.

I have a ceramic coating on my truck but no film.  I did see some of the stuff my installer was working on at the time and he was wrapping the edges of all his stuff.  I would see if  your installer would do anything to help you out.

Also, the film is flexible.  It may protect against the typical dirt and grim scratches, but a rock at highway speed would most likely do some damage underneath.  Even if the film didnt peel up, I would think that force could be transferred underneath.

I have ultimate on our daily drivers and had a similar issue, larger rock tore through the Xpel and scratched the tricoat white paint. I was told it was not covered under warranty, if you hear differently, please let me know!

While it is frustrating, I can say the Xpel does help but its not 100%.  I drive 40,000+ miles annually (mostly highway) and after 1 year, my old car (brand new) was covered in road rash on the front end, definitely hurt the resale value.  Current vehicle is just over 1 yr old (Xpel ultimate applied immediately after purchase) and only have 1 small scratch on the front end from the rock that tore through.  The chrome grill does not have Xpel and it does show some rash on it already, but bumper look good.

My wife's car is black and definitely helps keep it looking nicer, added rocker panel pieces on hers as well. 

I was debating on whether or not to spend the money on the silverado, but I'll be handing that down to the kids next year and I'm sure they will do more damage than I care to know, so Im not investing more money into protecting that paint. 

I have been using PPF films since the early 2000's. They have gotten a lot better in some categories. The early films had several issues. Hardening, yellowing, cracking, scratching, ect. They have gotten a lot better, they stay clear, smooth as paint,  self healing. I found some early ones to be more protective of gouging, tearing and chips. They were thicker. But then you had the downsides as stated. They new films (I like Suntek) are fantastic and address all the former complaints....but I have also had a gouge and chip in my corvette hood. I still use the film because there is no downside to how the car will look 4 years later in comparison to no film. It definitely is great at all the normal stuff and the sandblasting. But when the "big one" comes it doesn't do as well as we would want strength wise. BUT every year they all get better. As I hear tick tick tick hitting the front on the highway...I couldn't imagine NOT having the film. I have it on all my cars with no regrets. I do rocker panels and door sills too because of the kid and dog. 15 years, many cars, only two penetrations....that maybe nothing could have prevented?? Its always a selling point when I sell. The paint is so thin on the new trucks and cars I don't see any choice. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thats too bad the stone managed to hit that exact spot. Another 1/4 higher up and you would just be left with an imperfection in the film. I have worked with the PPF films (mainly 3M Pro Series PPF Films) and learned that where you can wrap the film around a panel it is always better - hoods, trunks, fenders etc. However not all panels and pieces can be wrapped around the edge easily. If you told the installer to wrap that panel around that edge you would hope that he could modify the file to include an extra inch or so in that area so it would wrap around the edge before being sent to the vinyl plotter where it is cut. Otherwise he may cut corners and start from a large bulk piece and then trim with his knife right onto the body of your car which as an installer we always try to avoid. If the panel is not metal he may be able to get away with it and not harm to body of the truck. Knife pressure and a few nifty tools that have been designed can help an experienced installer get the job done right. In my experience applying these films perfectly is not easy and it all comes down to how experienced the installer is. The PPF films are very thick and do not like to conform around edges like the colour wrapping vinyl films do- however they do have a very strong adhesive so a couple inconspicuous stress cuts can help. If you brought this specific area to his attention before hand perhaps the installer could have given you an option to add a piece or film or redo the piece of film in this area so it covers the edge better. Such a frustrating scenario - the "Paint Protection Film" has not protected the paint!