Approximately 2 years ago while driving my CEL came on.  The code reader indicated low oil pressure and the oil pressure gauge was around 17-20 at idle.  I changed the oil and filter and the pressure returned to normal (oil change #1).  On that oil change I did two filter only changes.  When due according to the oil life indicator I changed oil and new filter (oil change #2).  

That oil and filter was changed according to oil life indicator (oil change #3)

Today while driving, once the truck warmed up, (15% on oil life monitor) the oil pressure dropped to 0 suddenly and shut engine off light came on.  I pulled over shut the truck off and waited, checked oil (plenty of it), and started the truck back up.  Oil pressure came back to normal and then dropped back to 0.  I was close to home (<1 mile) and was able to limp home with start-stopping multiple times to maintain oil pressure.  I changed oil and filter (oil change #4) and oil pressure returned to normal.

Can anybody comment on what is happening?  I would like to avoid running into an oil pressure issue on a longer trip, if I am only addressing the symptom and not the cause.  Could the cause really be the filter getting full, or the oil degrading despite the oil life indicator suggesting there is more life?

Could the cause really be the filter getting full, or the oil degrading despite the oil life indicator suggesting there is more life?

The oil life indicator does not actually test or monitor the quality of the oil. It is merely a calculation based on driving habits.

The fact your issue resolved with an oil and filter change suggest that is the source of the problem. How many miles/hours did you have on your oil when it said 15%?

I use a Mobile 1 M1-212A filter.
I also run an Amsoil bypass oil filter.
Current oil is Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic Max Life 0W-20.

I would replace the oil pressure sending unit. I would also change the oil weight to the "heaviest" allowable. Swap out the oil filter to EOM recommended. If that does not solve the problem, I would throw a manual oil pressure gauge at it. If the manual gauge reads intermittently low, I would add an extra 2 or 3 quarts of oil to the crank, to see if the pickup tube seal is the issue. If that didn't work, I would seriously consider replacing the oil pump. You could also start cutting your oil filter open in an attempt to find debris. 

Thank you for all of the replies.  I am now convinced that the root cause is the oil filter.

Now i am out to find one that meets the PSI requirement.

Get an AC Delco PF 63

I don’t think the filter is the issue. Sounds like a bad sensor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Get an AC Delco PF 63

I don’t think the filter is the issue. Sounds like a bad sensor.

Can you please explain why you think it is the sensor?

I could understand the filter because it has happened twice near the end of the filter/oil life where the bypass could come into play.  Follow both oil changes the symptoms disappeared.

Can you please explain why you think it is the sensor?

I could understand the filter because it has happened twice near the end of the filter/oil life where the bypass could come into play.  Follow both oil changes the symptoms disappeared.

Because the sensor reads the fresh oil at the new oils weight so to speak. If the oil at the end of its life on the oil change is thinning as in viscosity changes and the sensor is going bad, it could read it as low oil pressure. The oil filter by-pass pressure has nothing to do with the oil system pressure.

There is a five dollar screen under the oil pressure sender. You tube has several videos on how to change it. The screen is to filter the oil to the DOD lifters. It gets cruddy and soon drops the oil pressure. I took mine out and ran the engine for a second to flush the oil gallery before I put in the new screen.