Too many issues for a newer well maintained truck

So when the truck was newer I used 4x4 a few times and it would make almost a metallic grinding noise when turning. I took it into the dealership multiple times trying to get a fix and they kept saying there was no fix. So be it. It works still even with the noise. This truck was always maintained by the dealership until 80k miles. At 72kmiles the check engine light came on almost out of no where and I took it to the dealership to find out the injectors were bad! What the heck!  Then andother 8k later the rear differential started leaking oil and I had to replace that. That was fun 4K into a 2015 truck in the same year in repairs that shouldn’t have happened that early in the trucks life. Thennnnnnnnn at 104k the transmission went out!!!! What in the heck! All of these repairs were done in a 9 month period. 10k into a 4 year old truck. I’m very disappointed in this truck. I always kept up on oil changes and most maintenance. I did not flush the transmission at 60 but that still should not have put my transmission out at 100k. I have towed about 4K max behind this truck less then 8 times for no more then a total of 200 miles so I’m not rough on the transmission. I’ve also only had it off-road 1x early on in its life so definitely not had a rough life. Almost 60% of the miles are freeway miles. These problems should not be happening to a Chevy truck. I’m really disappointed. All my ford friends have given me so much Crapp and honestly, I may as well have bought a cheaper not as well designed truck and saved myself about 10-15% on the ford truck. 

Not sure if there’s any possibility of gettting any of that 10k covered from Chevy but that would really make me think a lot higher of the brand. 

I feel your pain my 2014 4x4 CC LTZ w/ 5.3 with 86k miles has had the following:

85.6k - AC condensor replaced, oil cooler lines replaced.

79.9k - Brake Vacuum Booster replaced.

43.7k - AC compressor failure/replaced.

41.k - Rack and Pinion assembly replaced.

This is my 4th Silverado the others being a 2002, 2006, 2010 and this has been in the shop for more mechanical failures than the others.  The 2006 was the best with 160k and no visits to the dealer other than a water pump leak within the first 3k.  You can see the pattern that I get a new truck every 4 yrs and this year is no exception.  With the out of warranty issues that I have had so far I havent had a lot of confidence to keep this one any longer and being that this could be related to a new model year(2014) I am not willing to chance it with the new 2019's.  I really dont want to be paying out of pocket for a motor or trans.  I am going to give a ford a shot this next time around and see how it goes.  

• Sad 1

I’m not sure exactly what they did. They changed out some parts in the rear diff and now it’s binding a little. Could be their poor workmanship. The first time they worked on it, it was leaking worse then before when they were done with it. Now I have to take it back in and have them fix their repair again. 

I had the dealership do the injectors and they had done all the maintenance to that point. I got in a minor fender bender that put my truck in the shop and I asked the shop to change the brakes while it was there. They took it to the mechanic that worked on the rear diff.horable experience with them, I will never use them again butt it’s their warranty that covers their repairs so I have to take it back to them. I will not be putting another dime into this truck in repairs. It will be in a ford dealership if there is another issue getting traded in. 

On 1/8/2019 at 10:11 PM, Micah johnson said:

Thennnnnnnnn at 104k the transmission went out!!!! I always kept up on oil changes and most maintenance. I did not flush the transmission at 60 but that still should not have put my transmission out at 100k. 

So it still had the factory tranny fluid in it at 104,000? When were you planning on changing it?

Why do you think they recommend changing the fluid ?

You didn't change it and payed the price. Sorry but I just call them like I see them. 

Have fun with your new Ford

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 1

It was going to be flushed at this oil change coming up. I’m no mechanic but old fluids shouldn’t make a component like a transmission break at half it’s life expectancy. I’ve had multiple other vehicles that I have waited until 100k to flush the transmission and never had a problem with them. 

I hope you learned a lesson here.

Maybe be more conscious about your driving habits and maintenance requirements?

Maybe the Furd will be better, maybe worse. 

:)

A few things to consider:

1. There are guys in Ford and Ram forums who have and will be posting this exact same thread about their respective trucks. They'll even proclaim how they're going to one of the other brands, just as you have. Unfortunately, they all have their issues. Earlier this week I was getting my truck washed and detailed when I noticed the guy in front of me had a beautiful 2018 Silverado 1500 All-Terrain. I struck up a conversation with him and guess what, he had just jumped ship from Ford. He had 3 different F-150's, all with problems and he got sick of it. Said he's put on about 5k miles on the Silverado and couldn't be happier - he specifically called out how the Silverado rides much better than any of his F-150's.

2. You say your truck is 4 years old so it's either a 2014 or 2015. Any time you purchase within the first year or two of a complete redesign you are going to see the most problems. This goes for ALL brands. As the years go on within that design, they engineer out most of the problems.

3. I agree with some of the issues happening too early (like the injectors), but you didn't change out your tranny fluid when it was recommended. Instead you went almost double the amount past the recommendation. While that may not always cause complete failure of the transmission, it certainly doesn't help and is a possibility.

4. As others have pointed out, the dealer you work with does not sound like they are treating you fairly. Ignoring the 4X4 grinding sound and then replacing your entire rear end for a leak sounds off to me. Also the price you paid for their work is astronomical, even for a dealer. Sucks you're stuck with them for warranty work, but anything outside of that go elsewhere. 

Whatever you decide, wish you nothing but the best.

• Like 2