Updated 2020 GMC Acadia Has Added Features And Shifter Delete Feature

Gorehamj

2020-GMC-Acadia-Denali-001.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2-19-2019

GMC has updated the Acadia for 2020. The biggest news is the drivetrain lineup. The familiar 2.5L I-4 and the 3.6L V-6 engines remain standard or optional equipment for the 2020 Acadia dependent on the trim level selected, but GMC is adding a new 2.0-liter turbocharged engine to the lineup. The engine is has a GMC-estimated 230 horsepower (172 kW) and 258 lb-ft of torque (350 Nm). The turbo is a dual-scroll design developed to enhance low-speed torque delivery. Peak torque is available from 1,500 to 4,000 rpm, for an exceptional feeling of responsiveness, which means that in normal driving more torque will be available than from the V6, which has 271 lb-ft, but at a much higher RPM point. GMC is also adding a "tripower valvetrain" that complements the turbocharging system to make the most of the engine’s available power at all speeds. The turbo four can actually run on just two cylinders under light loads courtesy of GM's now ubiquitous active fuel management. It will be interesting to see how the fuel economy numbers pan out for this new turbo. 

The engines are coupled to a new 9-speed automatic. GMC has removed the gear shift lever and instead, the Acadia now has Electronic Precision Shift, which enables more storage room in the center console by replacing the conventional transmission shifter with an electronically controlled gear selection consisting of intuitive push buttons and pull triggers. GMC specifically mentioned that all of the engines have auto stop-start, but there is a switch to turn off this annoying feature most drivers don't like. GM did not mention if the system will stay off.  

2020-GMC-Acadia-Denali-003.jpg

In addition to a new interior style, the 2020 Acadia has a lot of new tech improvements. Here they are in bullet-point format:

- Personal profile allows users to tailor the infotainment system to their preferences, including audio, available navigation (requires subscription to compatible Connected Services) and climate settings, and even transfer those preferences to another GM vehicle with a compatible infotainment system. Up to four profiles can be assigned to the system and they can be assigned to the Acadia’s key fobs, automatically resetting the preferences for the incoming driver.
- All-new Navigation interface with “one shot” destination entry feature, improved Route Guidance functionality and personalized settings.
- Connected Navigation offers real-time updates, as well as Predictive Navigation and additional information provided by a cloud database. (Feature requires a Connected Navigation trial or subscription and connectivity.)
- USB-C ports. Two new USB-C charging ports are integrated in the front and rear of the center console. That brings the number of ports in the Acadia to five, including a USB-A charging port for the third-row seating area.

- Next-generation, 15-watt wireless charging (available).
- High Definition Rear Vision Camera upgraded to digital (standard on SLT, AT4 or Denali and available on SLE).
- New Rear Camera Mirror available on Denali.

- Head-Up display (later in the model year)

2020-GMC-Acadia-AT4-004.jpg

An AT4 trim will have all-terrain tires, standard AWD, and some design cues to lure those who want an off-road look. 

The new 2020 GMC Acadia goes on sale this fall. It will be assembled at GM’s Spring Hill, Tennessee, assembly plant.

Am guessing all those on here who demand a gear shift lever :driving: are gonna be mightily disappointed in the future. 

I don't mind Ram-style shift knobs, but I'm not crazy about all of the important buttons and knob down low by the cup-holders on the console on this.  I'm foreseeing expensive service work having to be done after someone dumps a Starbucks down there and some important electric thingamajig shorts out, causing the associated computer to take a dump.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Sad 1

Knobs and electric shifting things are great and all for those that want them.  I tried helping some kid with a BMW at a gas station, his electronics were going haywire.  I was going to push him into a parking spot so he wasn't sitting at the pump while he waited for the tow truck.  We couldn't shift the car into neutral to move it between the push button start not working and the "gamer" electronic floor shifter thingie.  Granted there might be some override buried in the manual to shift when nothing is working, but I wasn't about to go that route.

Looks good, no shift lever BAD I prefer the good ole column shift levers, don't know why those aren't standard on all SUV's and sedans... I can reach the shifter on my truck with the same hand that is running the steering wheel.. I can see the value in not having a shift lever in the center console for extra storage space but, it's foolish to not have an actual lever... I am looking at a Equinox, Terrain or Acadia for the wife this year along with CRV's and Cherokees but, I'm having a tough time getting past the push button shifting bull crap in the Terrain... Give me a damn column shifter like god intended it.  At lease the dial on the Fiat trucks is something you don't have to hunt for several different buttons on..

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 9:44 AM, mookdoc6 said:

I drove one of these recently with 6 Adults and the V-6 recently.  I will say it drove very,very good?  I think the new Traverse from what I have been told drives and handles top notch too!  

A prototype/pre-preoduction 2020, are was it the previous generation 2019?

7 hours ago, richamor said:

Am I the only one who remembers these? I owned one and so did my parents. I don't recall any problems with it.

dodge.jpg.3792ad3282971a3050376d7454f651f3.jpg

Growing up there was a neighbour one of those....

There were also cars back then that you could unlock the ignition and then remove the key...

(before gear shifter lock was available)

2 hours ago, redwngr said:

Growing up there was a neighbour one of those....

There were also cars back then that you could unlock the ignition and then remove the key...

(before gear shifter lock was available)

LOL!! You could also crank it, floor it, and slam it down into Low without touching the brake pedal. Ahhhh..... those were the days. 

2 hours ago, redwngr said:

Checked out a Terrain with the push button gear shifter at the autoshow this weekend, both the wife and I were not fans.. We prefer the styling on the Chevy Equinox anyways so that will be an easy choice if we decide on a small crossover for her next vehicle.. The rotary knob on the Ram doesn't bother me as much as the push button stuff..

On 2/21/2019 at 6:26 PM, Juniorss said:

GM is heading in the right direction with the refresh, I just wish they would put a v8 in it..

V8s are a thing of the past in these things and for most other things going forward.  Time to start liking turbos. 

• Sad 1

On 2/19/2019 at 6:44 AM, mookdoc6 said:

I drove one of these recently with 6 Adults and the V-6 recently.  I will say it drove very,very good?  I think the new Traverse from what I have been told drives and handles top notch too!  

I agree.  We have a 17 Acadia Denali AWD and had a rental 18 Traverse LT V6 2WD recently, both are great drivers.  I do wish our Acadia had the 9 speed and a bit more space, but my wife loves it.  The Traverse was very roomy, and the added gears made it feel more peppy.  If I thought I could get a reasonable trade, I might upgrade, but I really doubt that.

Glad to see they are allowing stop/start to be switched off. Hopefully an option so you don’t have to select it every time you start the engine. Maybe someday they’ll get rid of it all together.  We have a 2017 Equinox without it and don’t want to upgrade because the new Equinox has stop/start and it can’t be switched off.