Whipple Supercharger 2019 Truck

Does anyone know the real reason for the delay of the release of whipple supercharger for 2019 GMC AT4 6.2?  Also has anyone heard when available? I can not get straight answers. 

I have been told a few different things like this Sierra has new computer from 2018. The air filter is on opposite side than last design so the redesign is taking longer.

I ordered my AT4 2 weeks ago and wanted to time it to have it all to install when truck arrives. Not looking good atm.

Any info helps. Thanks!

This is starting to be the public's answer. I'm starting to believe it. When I asked whipple they do not mention this at all except that the computer is different this year. Not that they are having issues. Thanks for the info!

This is starting to be the public's answer. I'm starting to believe it. When I asked whipple they do not mention this at all except that the computer is different this year. Not that they are having issues. Thanks for the info!

Its the truth. I would expect a system to be released shortly after tuning is available but that may be a while and it will be more costly then a 14-18 supercharger because of it.

Magnuson, Whipple, Procharger are all in the same boat.

1 hour ago, SILVER SLED said:

You could get a 19 Chevy Custom Trailboss with a 5.3 and a 6 speed and put a supercharger on it. 

How?

The 2019 custom trailboss still use the same computer as his GMC truck, same computer as the LT, LTZ, RST and High country.

Only the 2019 LD Silverado's from what I gather carry over the same E92 computer as the 2014-2018's.

2 hours ago, CamGTP said:

How?

The 2019 custom trailboss still use the same computer as his GMC truck, same computer as the LT, LTZ, RST and High country.

Only the 2019 LD Silverado's from what I gather carry over the same E92 computer as the 2014-2018's.

I was told by a local tuner the Custom trimmed 5.3 with the old afm and a 6 speed can still be tuned.  Maybe I’m/they’re wrong.  

So, I am not a GM engineer, but this has me thinking.  From what I understand about a GM engine computer, it is looking at things like air temp and pressure under the hood, listening for spark knock, reading the oxygen level in the exhaust via the 2 or more oxygen sensors, etc.  All for 2 primary purposes:  (1) to maintain a set air/fuel ratio and (2) to prevent spark knock in the engine.  

If this assumption is basically correct, then it should still be possible to mount a supercharger and larger fuel injectors and see a significant hp/torque gain.

Why do I think this?  Well, logically, if you add more air to the engine, the computer will adjust the fuel and ignition curves to maintain that desired air/fuel ratio and prevent spark knock.  So, you should still see a 100 or more hp gain even without computer tuning.

Granted, being able to tune the computer would give you greater gains...  But just bolting on a supercharger and installing larger injectors and possibly a larger throttle-body should still yield a gain.

Am I missing something here?

Not even remotely.... you are now forcing air into the engine above that of atmospheric pressure...  Desired afr is not the same on a blown truck as a one that's n/a.  Spark advance would be too high.  The fuel map and air map don't have infinity for adjustment... it's very little as there is a desired afr for every map reading and rpm.  The ecm needs to see injector scaling to even run properly at idle so if you can change out the injectors on these dfm things with like an LT4 it wouldn't even idle lol.  That's just a small tidbit...

Bolt on a blower with no tuning and give it a whirl... be fun to see how long it lasts before a piston comes apart lol. 

Won't surprise me if tuning support just takes longer and longer to achieve until it ends completely.  It's coming for these trucks.. just might take a few more months or a few years... who knows.

Edited by SierraHD17

So, I am not a GM engineer, but this has me thinking.  From what I understand about a GM engine computer, it is looking at things like air temp and pressure under the hood, listening for spark knock, reading the oxygen level in the exhaust via the 2 or more oxygen sensors, etc.  All for 2 primary purposes:  (1) to maintain a set air/fuel ratio and (2) to prevent spark knock in the engine.  

If this assumption is basically correct, then it should still be possible to mount a supercharger and larger fuel injectors and see a significant hp/torque gain.

Why do I think this?  Well, logically, if you add more air to the engine, the computer will adjust the fuel and ignition curves to maintain that desired air/fuel ratio and prevent spark knock.  So, you should still see a 100 or more hp gain even without computer tuning.

Granted, being able to tune the computer would give you greater gains...  But just bolting on a supercharger and installing larger injectors and possibly a larger throttle-body should still yield a gain.

Am I missing something here?

You are missing everything. That wouldn’t even be true on older models but with the 14+ trucks your throttle would never open because the torque model would be so far off not to mention running larger injectors without changing the data in the tuning would potentially cause damage. Maxed out fuel trims are not the way....

My buddy tunes vehicles. He said he can ship the ecu off to get unlocked but there's no tuning support for the new trucks right now. I doubt it will be as easy as just plugging a programmer into these new ones.

I do too. The tcm can be unlocked but the ecm is not unlocked or tunable yet on the new body style 19 V8s using dfm.
  • Like 1