Whipple Supercharger 2019 Truck

On 10/11/2020 at 6:45 PM, Fuelie said:

Did you try a Whipple?

If son what problems did you have?

Tom

Yes, I installed a Whipple kit.  Albeit, it was on my 2017 but the experience has soured it for me and I will NOT be trying one on my 2019.

The "canned" tunes from Whipple just weren't dialed in for me.  The truck would buck, stutter, surge, you name it.  I must have tried a dozen tunes from Whipple and none worked.  Driveability was horrible.  I spent several hours of my life removing the kit and several hundred dollars returning it for only a partial refund.  Whipple made no apologies but I guess a partial refund is better than a $6500 chunk of metal sitting in my garage.  

Good luck.

The problem is that on a 17+ GM the trans really needs tuning when adding an SC but its not something Whipple can easily offer canned. The 18-19 trucks with SC run much better with custom engine and trans tune using an unlocked TCM.

The 19+ T1 trucks need an unlocked ECM to even get in and Whipple supplies a canned tune for that but trans tuning is not available at all for the Bosch T93 TCM.

The canned tune is also write only on these newer trucks so if the truck is modified beyond the sc kit with supplied pulley you will have to start from scratch with a stock truck file generated from the server.

These need a proper tune thru a tuner who can do a few dyno pulls and do driveability.  That way its all done correctly.  Until this can be all done its not worth doing, not for that kind of money...

For instance..I have a 2300 magnuson on my 03 2500hd, the tune they even give wasn't good. Its a night and day difference to have it done in person. Now its a forged  408 stroker, meth injected and at 12 psi a complete animal.

6 hours ago, Transient said:

It appears Hennessey Performance has all of this stuff figured out, and is getting more power. I may look into going that direction instead.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I thought I saw a article when Hennessey had trouble tuning the new stuff. I'll see if I can find it.

Tom

It said 2022 Silverados. Right now we're talking 2019-2021. In 2022 the Silverado also gets the new interior. Coincidence???

I'm pretty sure you need to have the vehicle done totally by them...won't be cheap.
Right now I'm dealing with another issue that's best discussed elsewhere. Talking to Hennessey is pointless if things go badly. And, no, there's no mechanical issue with my truck at this time.