Fuel additive/cleaner for DI?

Guys,

I am going to be installing a catch can and after I do that I want to run some cleaner through the tank and manifold.

What are you guys using for the tank and to run in the manifold?

I found GM fuel additive part number 88865595. It had some good reviews, but nothing specific about DI. There may not be a difference in formulas for DI, but I wanted to check.

Thanks.

I like the seafoam DI cleaner mainly because of the design. It has a tube that inserts between the throttle body and air box so your not running with out the MAF and getting closer to top of valves. In fact I hope someday one of the catch can guys just adds an intake port for cleaner right at the vacuum port. 

For tank, anything with PEA (Techron, Gumout, etc) seems to work well for me. I use Amsoil injector cleaner now. 

Seafoam. 

I used Royal Purple Max Clean last time and it worked. All DI cleaners are pretty much the same and have the same ingredients

dont worry about shooting it in front of the throttle body. Just use the hose from the outlet of your catch can that goes into the side of the intake. Much easier

Like everyone else I just run a cleaner through the vacuum line coming from my catch can, usually right before I do an oil change...although I haven't done it the last two times. But I've used 3M, CRC and Seafoam. Not sure any of them have actually done a thing. 

My plan is to send a boroscope down the intake and take a look at the vales to see just how good/bad they look after 28,000 miles. The problem I have with cleaners is that it's a very quick thing and to really CLEAN carbon off of anything takes time...takes effort. I've never seen a cleaner remove carbon, even if it's soaked over night. It still requires some scrubbing, and obviously you don't get that from spraying something into your intake for five minutes. Someone mentioned to me a water infusion system, I guess some people used to have a can of water that would allow a mist to be introduced into the intake continuesly under certain vacuum/throttle/cruise conditions. But it involved some work...checking the water supply and adding an agent to prevent freezing in the winter. Sounded kind of interesting. A harmless mist of water to clean carbon continuously. 

I used Lucas Oil DI cleaner just yesterday.  I didn't get any smoke out of the exhaust like I was assuming, as I have with Sea Foam before on another vehicle. My truck has 56k miles, and has AFM turned off since 19k.

I am using Redline S-1 in my Traiboss 1600 miles 3oz to a fill up 24gal every time at the pump I use Sunoco 87 n Exxon just for a maintenance dose. Even though we have DI and I know this treatment will not even touch the intake valves I am after keeping the top end and rings clean, plus the added detergent and top tier fuel can't hurt.

Thanks guys.

My main concern now is to get any oil in the manifold out as best I can. I should have thought about the catch can a while ago. I have about 6k miles on the truck, so hopefully it isn’t terrible.

In my Trans Am I actually ran methanol through the intake the same way you would Seafoam, I just ran it slow through the entire bottle. My buddy had an STi with meth injection and his heads looked brand new when he tore it down. I normally get the motor hot and run a slow bleed through a home made feed line. I figured Seafoam was good for the intake, wasn’t too sure what to run in the tank or even how necessary it may be. 

1 hour ago, 14 gmcl83 said:

Ya does e85 help clean the valves in Tennessee it’s a lot cheaper than 87 by 30 cents or more now so I just been running e85 .

E85 will clean up the combustion chamber but do nothing for the back side of the valves since these engines are DI.  Now for non DI engines it can clean up the back of the valves as well.

9 hours ago, jaxcam02 said:

None of these do a thing. Only way to really clean these components is to take everything apart and soak/scrub.

I have never seen any proof.

Unfortunately I agree with you 100%, however I do use something every 5-10k miles (and I should know better, I'm a tech). I know exactly how difficult it is to really remove carbon buildup. Even the videos of "proof" in cleaner comparisons in which they send a scope down in there and show before and after "results" isn't really proof (not that any of them show much in terms of results). Run any engine for a few minutes and a number of things/factors will indirectly effect carbon on piston heads or the back of valves (moisture, heat, fuel). You might get a little "clean" spot or section and five minutes later the surface is prepped to add more soot and carbon...then it's covered again.

I'm planning on sending a scope down my intake in a few weeks - figure it's been long enough since I've owned the vehicle and installed a catch can - I have 28,000 miles on it...if it's clean then maybe, just maybe I can say the catch can and cleaner solutions I've run did a little something. Truthfully we do this stuff because it makes us feel good, we feel like we're at least trying to help the situation...we believe, we buy the products. It's more mental than anything.

• Like 2

I was wondering if we added E85 in about a quarter of a tank and the rest super (being that I’ve got a 6.2) unleaded, whether that would be enough to help clean just the areas it does get to?

Sent from above