Jingle jingle underneath only in 2wd

1 hour ago, Aycock1987 said:

I have had my truck for 8 months and have had 5 major components replaced to figure out this noise... Axle, Differential, Exhaust, Brakes, and then Transfer-case (not in any order). The only thing that fixed it was the replacement of the transfer-case... It only fixed it for about 1,000 miles and the noise returned. I am fed up with it and am in the middle of GM buying my truck back.

I am wondering if the build date has anything to do with it. My truck was built in September 2018. I've driven several other 2019's as a loaner vehicle which did not make the noise.

Mine is a late October build. So far the noise has not returned after they changed out the differential. I was told the noise is solely caused by the excessive  in and out play in the differential bearing on the drivers side just as Limelight's video shows.  The drive shaft should be tight in the differential.

Edited by ILSilverado

15 minutes ago, ILSilverado said:

Mine is a late October build. So far the noise has not returned after they changed out the differential. I was told the noise is solely caused by the excessive  in and out play in the differential bearing on the drivers side just as Limelight's video shows.  The drive shaft should be tight in the differential.

I appreciate your response. It makes sense. I just wished I saw Limelight's video so I could show them before GM started replacing all of these parts

36 minutes ago, Aycock1987 said:

I appreciate your response. It makes sense. I just wished I saw Limelight's video so I could show them before GM started replacing all of these parts

Well the problem is GM. The Dealer has to get instructions from GM what to replace not the other way around this is what I ran into. GM engineering tech center is the only one that can approve or disapprove a requested repair so im told. The Dealer calls them with the issue and they go to there flow chart of approved fixes smallest like grease the boots first then on it goes. I would assume by the time I got my truck in by trial and error GM had already zoned in on the differential issue. They (GM) don't even have an official TSB on this yet. So essentially we are the beta testers for this issue. The real puzzle is not all the differentials have this flaw. If you already had your differential replaced and you still hear the sound you might have been one of the "lucky" ones to get old stock and another one from the bad batch. GM is not the maker of the differential Eaton is. GM must be working with Eaton on the issue but the bottom line is its Eatons issue not really GMs.

Edited by ILSilverado

22 minutes ago, ILSilverado said:

Well the problem is GM. The Dealer has to get instructions from GM what to replace not the other way around this is what I ran into. GM engineering tech center is the only one that can approve or disapprove a requested repair so im told. The Dealer calls them with the issue and they go to there flow chart of approved fixes smallest like grease the boots first then on it goes. I would assume by the time I got my truck in by trial and error GM had already zoned in on the differential issue. They (GM) don't even have an official TSB on this yet. So essentially we are the beta testers for this issue. The real puzzle is not all the differentials have this flaw. If you already had your differential replaced and you still hear the sound you might have been one of the "lucky" ones to get old stock and another one from the bad batch. GM is not the maker of the differential Eaton is. GM must be working with Eaton on the issue but the bottom line is its Eatons issue not really GMs.

I agree. I have no complaints over the dealership. They have bent over backwards for me. When GM came back saying they need to replace the exhaust and the brakes, I was 100% certain that wasn't going to fix the issue. I've told them several times that it quits doing it in 4WD or AUTO so how could GM possibly think it's the exhaust or brakes...

Is there not an easier way to fix this issue without having to replace to whole differential?

9 minutes ago, Aycock1987 said:

I agree. I have no complaints over the dealership. They have bent over backwards for me. When GM came back saying they need to replace the exhaust and the brakes, I was 100% certain that wasn't going to fix the issue. I've told them several times that it quits doing it in 4WD or AUTO so how could GM possibly think it's the exhaust or brakes...

Is there not an easier way to fix this issue without having to replace to whole differential?

Im told no because its a first year vehicle GM has a replace policy because they want the bad parts back so they can tear them down and find the root cause or common denominator to the flaw. I think once they are 100% sure of the fix needed they will be just repairing the differentials in the future.

53 minutes ago, ILSilverado said:

Im told no because its a first year vehicle GM has a replace policy because they want the bad parts back so they can tear them down and find the root cause or common denominator to the flaw. I think once they are 100% sure of the fix needed they will be just repairing the differentials in the future.

That's understandable. I am not going to be a happy camper if my new Silverado has the same issue.

Dropped off my truck at dealership today. Took a ride with the tech. I thought for sure he was going to say he didn’t hear it but he did. The tech agreed he hears the play coming from the front drivers side. I told him others are having this issue with the diff/half shaft. We actually heard it perfectly with the windows up right before pulling back in from the test ride. He said that’s where he thought it sounded like it was coming from. Hopefully, this isn’t a back and forth thing but I feel like there’s hope. Thank you guys for the input. I feel this helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay all you jinglers and janglers...

Hot off yesterday's press: 

#PIP5653: Squeak chirp noise from front axle in 2wd - (May 29, 2019)

Some customers may comment on a squeak or chirp noise in 2wd that goes away in 4wd. Some people may also describe it as a metallic jingle, ringing, click or tick. Condition is easiest to duplicate in warmer ambient temperatures, after approximately 30 miles of driving and is barely audible. Technician may notice that the noise seems to be from the front left axle seal area. This information only applies to the SU4 axle. 

At this time G.M. engineering is currently validating a repair. Please do not attempt any repairs at this time as current replacement parts could exhibit the same concern. There is no durability issue associated with this complaint and a repair should be available soon. 

This PI will be updated when a repair is available.

This ONLY APPLIES TO TRUCKS WITH RPO CODE SU4 Front Differential, which are the AAM supplied 8" front differential. 

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lebag335 said:

For those of us who don't know, what's an AAM front differential?  Would that be on a Trail Boss LT??

Axle supplier.  GM uses AAM and has for a long, long time.  GM used to even own AAM until 2002 or 2003 when they sold them off. 

On T1 pickups, GM is using two suppliers for front and rear axles.  AAM and GM in house built.  They do have different fluid specs.  GM added RPO codes to identify the axles in the trucks as built.  As for visual difference, the GM axles have the "GM" Logo (the Mark of Excellence) stamped on to the housings. 

Axle RPO Codes:

Front

SU4 - AAM

SU5 - GM

Rear

SU7 - AAM

SU8 - GM

• Thanks 1

So is it only happening to the aam ones or both? If both, why only the bulletin for one? And if they’re replacing the gm ones why not replace the aam with the gm’s instead of wasting customers time going back and forth? Mine is in the shop now for it but I don’t know which diff I have.

1 hour ago, Thejet07 said:

So is it only happening to the aam ones or both? If both, why only the bulletin for one? And if they’re replacing the gm ones why not replace the aam with the gm’s instead of wasting customers time going back and forth? Mine is in the shop now for it but I don’t know which diff I have.

RPO code SU4 ONLY, so the AAM one.