Jingle jingle underneath only in 2wd

Update, they attempted to repair my truck according to the PIP but they weren’t able to remove the stub from the front diff to complete the repair. Apparently there is a specialty tool that is need that no dealer has in my area. The tool is also on back order for the next 30 or so days. They may just send a new front diff but who knows at this point.

Called GM and asked a collateral transfer to a new truck that does exhibit this specific issue. Don’t see it getting approved anyway though. I’m going to reach out to a lemon law attorney depending what GM comes back with.

any feedback is welcomed!

Mine goes back in shop on Monday. Gm told dealer to replace stub shaft and parts associated with 5653 in the new diff., that was replaced last time. Said it had the wrong stub shaft in it and that this has fixed nearly all of them. We'll see. This will be the 3rd attempt of repair and I think here in my state, it has to be 4 attempts before considered a lemon.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

They offered me a trade a few months into purchasing my truck due to issues. I was all in until they told me I would be taking a huge hit on the truck. They were definitely not helpful so I got a lawyer. Still waiting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They offered me a trade a few months into purchasing my truck due to issues. I was all in until they told me I would be taking a huge hit on the truck. They were definitely not helpful so I got a lawyer. Still waiting

So here we are day 10 with the truck still at the dealership, no replacement parts in sight. Going to be reaching out to Chevrolet to do a collateral swap. I did the trade out on my 2018 5.3 for transmission issues

The trade is the way to go, if you do the buyback they will charge usage and you can still be on the hook with GM to payback the additional wear and tear.

Pretty sad, 2 lemons in 2 years!

I pulled a bunch of Trail Boss build sheets in my area and all of them have the AAM SU4 front axle (meaning they also have the corresponding AAM SU7 rear axle). Some here have asked why they don’t just swap the whole front axle but I’m guessing (this is just a guess) it’s because of the different fluids used in the axles... dealerships often have a hard enough time putting the correct oil in already. Imagine having 2 different axles from 2 different manufacturers and requiring different fluids for service. 
Since AAM is “American Made” I’m guessing it’s good quality. If this problem is just a noise during certain speeds and not actually doing any damage to the truck, then maybe most can live with it - especially if they enjoy Christmas music haha!

On 5/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, EricTheRed said:

The dealer near me has a Trail Boss on their lot that I’m interested in but it has the SU4 front axle. Is there anyone here with the SU4 axle that HASN’T had any issues?

Mine has been great. 13000 miles and no issues. I’ve even been driving in the AZ 110 degree heat the last couple weeks. No issues. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IdahoElevation said:

I have the SU4 axle in a 2020 March build. No noise noticed at 600 miles. 

You may not have enough miles on yours yet. I first noticed, or I should say, my son noticed it when I had a little over 5000 miles on it, it may have been there before that and I just didn't hear it. It is a real faint jingling sound and we only heard it when the stereo/radio wasn't playing.

Funny thing too, is my last trip was about 2 hrs long, and the outside temp was about 80°F same conditions as when I have heard it before, only this time I could not hear it, I now have 9800 miles on it. I will listen for it again before I take it back into the service department.

Hopefully they've corrected the problem and yours is good.

My 2020 replacement also has the same SU4 built last week in November no sound. They must have figured it out and fixed it late in the year of 2019. 6800 miles so far so good.

Edited by ILSilverado

On 6/2/2020 at 9:45 AM, EricTheRed said:

I pulled a bunch of Trail Boss build sheets in my area and all of them have the AAM SU4 front axle (meaning they also have the corresponding AAM SU7 rear axle). Some here have asked why they don’t just swap the whole front axle but I’m guessing (this is just a guess) it’s because of the different fluids used in the axles... dealerships often have a hard enough time putting the correct oil in already. Imagine having 2 different axles from 2 different manufacturers and requiring different fluids for service. 
Since AAM is “American Made” I’m guessing it’s good quality. If this problem is just a noise during certain speeds and not actually doing any damage to the truck, then maybe most can live with it - especially if they enjoy Christmas music haha!

For some reason, I was under the impression that the TBs don't suffer from this. Even though they have an SU4 axle, could the 2" lift change it enough that the noise isn't there? 

35 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

For some reason, I was under the impression that the TBs don't suffer from this. Even though they have an SU4 axle, could the 2" lift change it enough that the noise isn't there? 

Not true, I have an AT4 with the SU4 front axle that made noise...

Dealer was finally able to get the stub shaft out with a wedge. They had to pull the diff cover, and put the wedge between the center pin and stub shaft to get it out. When the shaft was reinstalled with the PIP parts, the shaft went right back to touching the center pin. Me and the tech saw it first hand and it didn't look right. Oh well, the noise maker 7000 is put back together and still making noise, just not as loud... Yet...

• Like 1