Lower the rear of my Trail Boss

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but just got myself an LT Trail Boss. Looking to go the safer route with dropping the rear. Anyone else do this and what block did you use? Also, does the block have to be tapered because most 1” I find is pretty much flat. 

Also curious how you like it.  Would rather lower the rear than raise the front even more to achieve level or closer to level.  Where did you get your 1" blocks if you don't mind sharing?

Bought mine on eBay I think it was about 27 dollars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but just got myself an LT Trail Boss. Looking to go the safer route with dropping the rear. Anyone else do this and what block did you use? Also, does the block have to be tapered because most 1” I find is pretty much flat. 

Mine are flat 1” the factory 2” were flat also on a custom trail boss

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I went with a 1” rear block in place of the stock 2”. Not perfectly level, about an inch difference. I’m happy with that, didn’t feel comfortable removing the block completely.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282178911788

That’s what I bought. Solidly built, however, had to make some modifications for them to fit perfectly. First, the hole the pin sets into is too small, even though it say they fit. Had to have it machined out to 3/4”. Second, the pin itself is too long. So it had to be ground down about a 1/4”. Then hit it with some paint to keep the rust down as they are solid steel.

e51730deb17b598326ccb71c35c93ec9.jpg

On 8/31/2020 at 8:21 PM, tlhayes said:

So I went with a 1” rear block in place of the stock 2”. Not perfectly level, about an inch difference. I’m happy with that, didn’t feel comfortable removing the block completely.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282178911788

That’s what I bought. Solidly built, however, had to make some modifications for them to fit perfectly. First, the hole the pin sets into is too small, even though it say they fit. Had to have it machined out to 3/4”. Second, the pin itself is too long. So it had to be ground down about a 1/4”. Then hit it with some paint to keep the rust down as they are solid steel.

e51730deb17b598326ccb71c35c93ec9.jpg

Is there a concern with bottoming out the stock trail boss rear shocks now that a shorter lift block is being used?  I assume the shocks in a trail boss are longer then a non-trail boss rear shock correct?  How about bump stops on the trail boss  vs. a non trail boss?  Seems like these two items would be different between the trail boss and non-trail boss. I plan to level my 2019 trail boss custom by reducing the lift in the rear but want to know how it will all function after if I don’t change out the rear shocks and bump stops. I would assume ideally I could just find someone with a non-trail boss pickup that’s looking for a 2” lift and we could just trade parts.  Or maybe my shocks and bump stops on my trail boss will function just fine without any other modifications then swapping my stock lift blocks with 1” blocks?  What are people finding?

Is there a concern with bottoming out the stock trail boss rear shocks now that a shorter lift block is being used?  I assume the shocks in a trail boss are longer then a non-trail boss rear shock correct?  How about bump stops on the trail boss  vs. a non trail boss?  Seems like these two items would be different between the trail boss and non-trail boss. I plan to level my 2019 trail boss custom by reducing the lift in the rear but want to know how it will all function after if I don’t change out the rear shocks and bump stops. I would assume ideally I could just find someone with a non-trail boss pickup that’s looking for a 2” lift and we could just trade parts.  Or maybe my shocks and bump stops on my trail boss will function just fine without any other modifications then swapping my stock lift blocks with 1” blocks?  What are people finding?

I haven’t noticed any issues since switching out the block. The bump stop I quite large on the Trail Boss. The day after doing the swap I went on a 1300 mile round trip for vacation. No weird sounds, our anything different than the day before. I also don’t plan to really “off-road” my truck other than some dirt back roads. This is daddies baby chariot. Lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 2:45 PM, tlhayes said:

I haven’t noticed any issues since switching out the block. The bump stop I quite large on the Trail Boss. The day after doing the swap I went on a 1300 mile round trip for vacation. No weird sounds, our anything different than the day before. I also don’t plan to really “off-road” my truck other than some dirt back roads. This is daddies baby chariot. Lol

Have you noticed any difference in ride quality, comfort ?

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2020 at 4:35 PM, tlhayes said:

Not at all man. Still the same as the day I drove it off the lot. emoji1303.png

Have you hauled or towed anything since replacing the block?  Sounds like this is a decent alternative to raising the front.  Curious if you bottom out easier if loaded down.  Thanks!

On 7/18/2019 at 10:59 AM, saber said:

I took out the 2" and installed 1"

Looks right now

How do you feel about the swap now a year later?  Sounds like this is a decent alternative to raising the front.  Have you hauled or towed anything since swapping the blocks?  Curious if the suspension bottoms out sooner/easier with the smaller block and stock bump stocks and rear shocks.  Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

There was some "guessing" at the beginning of this thread. Of course this thread started when the new body style had just arrived so understandable. I was thinking my journey may further help someone. I did this mod 9 months ago. 

The jacked up rear of my AT4 bothered me. And the tailgate height was awfully high when down. The stock AT4 rear spacers are 2" thick cast iron. Removed the 2" spacers completely. Made it a bit lower in the rear than the front. Looked all wrong. My 2016 Denali had the same tail happy rake when new as the AT4. Denali had 1.1" cast iron spacers that I removed and were sitting on a shelf.(The Denali needed additional modifications but that's a story for another thread). Put in the Denali spacers(exact fit). Still has a rake but now it looks just right to me. And the tailgate height dropped about 2" at the rear when down.

Original U-Bolts worked fine. I did pull the lower shock bolt and tested for shock travel. No issues there. Headlight aim wasn't changed enough to be a concern but I did lower their beam a ½ inch as measured on my wall. I have a lift but using it wasn't necessary. Made the swap as it sat on the garage floor with the help of a floor jack. Simple as it gets.

Ride is slightly smoother. And I like how the truck handles rough roads now. The rear stays planted a little better. Dropping the rear ⅞" transfers enough weight off the front that the front height increased a solid ⅛". That means the truck has better weight balance front to back. 

Nine months later, no issues and very happy. Towed an old Corvette. Hauled a lot of 300/600 lb loads and a pair of speakers weighing 1150 pounds in the bed. Surprised at the small amount of rear sag with that much weight. Again, no issues at all. I know most are happy with their Tail Bosses and AT4's as is and I get it. But this mod was well worth it for me.