Brand New 2300 Mile '18 Sierra 6.2 Dies While Towing

I have a new 2018 Sierra CC half ton. Has the 6.2 liter engine and the 8 speed transmission. It currently has 2,300 miles. Last week I had the transmission worked on under warranty for a shuttering problem. Service was performed per GM Bulletin 18-NA-355. This was literally seven days ago. After the service the transmission seemed fine, no more shuttering. Yesterday while towing our boat (6000lbs) the truck started making a knocking, clanging, and clunking noise then it just died. Transmission temp was 183 at the time and all other gauges where in  normal ranges.

Today the truck is waiting for service at a different GMC dealer. I do have a loaner so that's nice. I am devastated. This truck is the nicest and most expensive vehicle I have ever owned. It is my 6th GM truck. My garage is all GM with a 2000 Pontiac T/A and a 2010 Chevy Equinox parked in it. My FIL is a GM retiree and we are very loyal GM customers. what a disappointment.

Daryl

I would hold off on disappointment honestly.....It's a machine, and machines break. Sucks it's so early in it's life, but it happens. This is what the warranty is for. Hopefully it's something minor and the fix is quick.

I'm fighting similar feelings though. Dropping my '15 Sierra SLT off on monday for about 10 things to be addressed. Has more miles (73k), but the urger to "What kind of POS is this" is hard to fight.

Take a deep breathe, it'll all work out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2kwik4u said:

I would hold off on disappointment honestly.....It's a machine, and machines break. Sucks it's so early in it's life, but it happens. This is what the warranty is for. Hopefully it's something minor and the fix is quick.

I'm fighting similar feelings though. Dropping my '15 Sierra SLT off on monday for about 10 things to be addressed. Has more miles (73k), but the urger to "What kind of POS is this" is hard to fight.

Take a deep breathe, it'll all work out.

Or if not, there's a RAM dealer just down the road.  

I'm not holding off on disappointment. It is. It is very disappointing. 

I just stopped by the service department. They said it will be next week until they can get to it. I get that. I'm not on the schedule. They said "We can get it to do anything. Won't start. Won't budge."  That actually makes me more concerned.  

We are scheduled to go on vacation in four weeks. Towing a camper. I must admit that I'm concerned this may happen again while on vacation.

I will update this as I get information. Thank you all for your comments.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DP121 said:

I'm not holding off on disappointment. It is. It is very disappointing. 

I just stopped by the service department. They said it will be next week until they can get to it. I get that. I'm not on the schedule. They said "We can get it to do anything. Won't start. Won't budge."  That actually makes me more concerned.  

We are scheduled to go on vacation in four weeks. Towing a camper. I must admit that I'm concerned this may happen again while on vacation.

I will update this as I get information. Thank you all for your comments.

Did they provide you with a comparable rental/loaner or just another vehicle to drive?

Sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your new Sierra. And, like you, I come from a GM family. My dad and brother both retired from GM, both with over 30 years service. My dad passed away several years ago. 

That said, I've had some issues with every GM vehicle I've owned. Some major and some minor, but they all had issues. My 2004 Silverado extended cab is probably the best one I've ever owned in terms of issues/problems. Only needed a new IP cluster and AC fan speed control, both of which turned out to be recalls and I was reimbursed by GM for the cost of repairs. I recently had to replace the throttle position sensor, but after 125,000 miles I'm not complaining. 

I recently purchased a new 2018 Silverado crew cab LT; it has about 1500 miles on it now. I'm currently mulling over some minor body panel fit/alignment issues, but no problems other than that so for. Yet, and still, after going over the new truck with a fine-tooth comb, I must say that I too am a little disappointed in the overall build quality; I expected better. It does, however, run, drive and ride very well, which is encouraging. But I believe the 2004 Silverado was a better built vehicle, and I thought things improved with time, technology and a higher price-tag. 

Wishing you the best of luck with the warranty repairs on your new truck. They will fix it, or give you another new truck.  

3 hours ago, DP121 said:

I have a new 2018 Sierra CC half ton. Has the 6.2 liter engine and the 8 speed transmission. It currently has 2,300 miles. Last week I had the transmission worked on under warranty for a shuttering problem. Service was performed per GM Bulletin 18-NA-355. This was literally seven days ago. After the service the transmission seemed fine, no more shuttering. Yesterday while towing our boat (6000lbs) the truck started making a knocking, clanging, and clunking noise then it just died. Transmission temp was 183 at the time and all other gauges where in  normal ranges.

Today the truck is waiting for service at a different GMC dealer. I do have a loaner so that's nice. I am devastated. This truck is the nicest and most expensive vehicle I have ever owned. It is my 6th GM truck. My garage is all GM with a 2000 Pontiac T/A and a 2010 Chevy Equinox parked in it. My FIL is a GM retiree and we are very loyal GM customers. what a disappointment.

Daryl

Welcome to the site, sorry your first couple of post started out with problems.

Do you think it was the engine or transmission that the noises were coming from?

3 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Or if not, there's a RAM dealer just down the road.  

Considering I personally know at least 2 guys lemon lawing their 2019 Ram 1500's... you might as well head down to that Ram dealer Maverick

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Welcome to the site, sorry your first couple of post started out with problems.

Do you think it was the engine or transmission that the noises were coming from?

It sounded like the engine. After it quit I tried to restart in order to possibly move over out of traffic. It wouldn't run.

3 hours ago, DP121 said:

Daryl

Just remember- Loyalty means nothing in this day and age to most companies. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DP121 said:

No they gave me a Buick Encore.

Ugh. That part sucks. If it isn't working by vacation time I would be standing on someones desk to give me a demo truck off the lot to tow the camper on vacation with.