Have you always driven a truck?

GPGuy

Just curious about everyone's experiences with this. I have heard from many that once you own a truck, you can't go back to a car and if you do, most end up buying another truck again in a somewhat short time-frame. 

What are your experiences with this? Are you one of these that has experienced this or have you always just stuck with trucks?

If you've purchased another type of vehicle at some point, what was it?

Mostly, yes.  When I was 16 I was primarily driving an 05 Chevy Equinox but also began to "steal" the 02 Chevy Avalanche that my mom drove.  By the time I was a senior in High School I was pretty much always driving the Avalanche since my dad bought a 07 Charger RT for my mom drive.  Through my 4 years of college I alternated between the Equinox and Avalanche to keep miles off the truck, and when I did drive the truck, it was a nice sunny day LOL.  Fast forward to 2015 I officially bought my own first truck which I still have.

So, i guess you could say I have pretty much always driven a truck? Heck, I was driving them when I was 13 on private land :-) 

I started off when I was 16 with a 1968 Chevy Impala Custom.  Then got a 1988 Chevy Beretta and then my parents gave me their old 79 Rabbit diesel.  Loved that car for the 50mpg economy.  When I got married I got a 1992 GMC Sonoma regular cab 4x4, then upgraded to my 2002 Silverado which I still have and now also a 2019 Silverado.  I feel if you own a home you need a truck.  :)

• Like 2

I worked my way up to a truck. My first car was a 1998 Oldsmobile 88. Then I sold it for more than my dad bought it for as my graduation present and upgraded to a 2004 GMC Envoy. Then that truck was upgraded to my current 2014 Silverado.

I really wanted to get a Tahoe instead of my Envoy but the driveway was small and they were too expensive so I saved money and bought the Envoy instead. I would only ever get rid of my truck if I no longer need to haul things around on the occasion otherwise I plan to eventually get a crew cab and hopefully a standard bed.

Yes. Always.

My first vehicle at 16 was a 1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Regency (pimp mobile) :).

I had that for 2 years then purchased a brand new 1994 Silverado RCSB Z71

After that I have had 3 other Chevy trucks and 1 Avalanche (still considered a truck) then this '14 Sierra.

Although my daily driver is an old 2000 Ford Taurus I purchased for $1300 in 2010 and it is still running strong today.

Has A few issues but allows me to keep mileage off the Sierra :thumbs:

Like the others, I started with hand me down beaters in high school. 1988 Dodge Aries Wagon was my first pimp mobile. Then I got to drive my dad's 1994 Dakota with the V8 when it was available. He just got rid of that thing last fall.

I didn't buy any vehicles during college due to lack of parking or need for a vehicle, but since 2007 I've always had a truck and a daily driver. My current truck is the first and only vehicle I've ever bought brand new. My current DD is a 2004 grand am with 203,000 miles.

Learned to drive and took my license test on an 83 Suburban Diesel.  Shortly after had a short stint in an 85 Bronco.  Then wasn't in a truck again until I bought my 04 Silverado.  Sadly after nine years in that I totaled it and wasn't in a truck for 6 years until I just bought my 2018 a couple of months ago.  

I started driving a '78 Toyota Celica, 9 months later got into a '74 Chevy Nova, from there I had multiple cars at the same time. '73 Chevy Camaro, '72 Lemans, '75 Caprice Classic, 77 Laguna S3 and an '83 Regal. Then my dad bought a Toyota Pickup and gave me his '78 C10 step side. I loved that truck. several years on and I was in a '94 Sentra SE-R, then a '97 Altima followed by an '03 Impala. Finally I bought a 2005 Silverado in 2008 and I traded that in in June of 2018 for a 2015 Silverado. Will I ever go back to a car? yes if it's a secondary vehicle. Otherwise I will stay in trucks. I plan to keep this one another 9 years. That's my MO buy an off lease CPO truck and keep for 10 years. I hope the 2025 is good looking truck, lol

Edited by Sinkhole

I had both for many years, drove car in summer and truck in winter.  My first new truck was a 1972 El Camino SS350 and have owed one since.   Since 2015 I only drive a truck.  Don't have a need for a car anymore and the extra expense. 

I don't always drive a truck.  But when I do (now), it's a Silverado.  Ha

But it needs one of those bumper stickers that says "Yes, this is my truck.  NO, I won't help you move!"

Learned how to drive in 3/4 ton manual transmission trucks. 

Prior family fleet vehicles include: Bonneville, Caprice, VW Bug, 2 Impalas, Marquis, F-250, LTD, 2 F-150s, C1500, K1500, Grand Marquis, Exploder, Rainier, and Trans Am, with Taurus and Charger company cars thrown into the mix.  It kinda goes in car-truck-SUV cycles.  Would not own a truck or SUV anymore that was not 4WD or AWD.  

Current perfect 'car' would be Jeep Trackhawk and perfect truck would be Ram Power Wagon.  Problem is, FCA and I are only about $150K apart on those right now.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

Always drove Heavy Duty's or larger for work couldn't stand to drive another truck home...the bouncing, the noise, the smell...etc. The K2's reminded me like the 800's but better all around especially LT engine and technology.  I have driven the T1's and I will say they are even better as a daily driver which is great because I would like one with the 3.0 Duramax!  Lost track of how many cars and probably don't care other than some old Bonneville's I had and really liked!

I’ve probably owned 30 trucks for work a performance vehicle for a toy and the wife’s car for kid hauling and personal use. In my 40 working years never had to personally pay for gas in my trucks so that wasn’t a factor. Gas or diesel they were rarely stock. Now days I have a Camry for trips a truck for a toy. My wife has a sports sedan and a sports car for a toy so the bases are covered. The most used by each of us is the Camry, it’s the mule. The others are fair weather rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva sedan was my first.  Drove it senior year in high school.  Engine went about august 2009 on my way to college orientation.  Loved that car, minus the occasional flooded floor from a mystery water leak.  Trucks since then however.  Honestly, I'd love to find another one just as a 3 season commuter (western NY).  Just a super clean, low mile garage queen.  Some pop up once and a while.     

First Car was a BMW E36 318tds.

Then, i bought an Opel Astra G Coupe with my "Army Money".

After that, i bought and drove about 20 Cars, most of them were BMWs (M3, 530d, 635csi, and other)  ( some of them I still have today).

2 Years ago I bought my first US Car, a Jeep Cherokee XJ. That got me into US Cars, as i noticed parts were cheap and these cars don't need that much "special tools" that german cars need.

So I bought a 2001 Tahoe for almost no money and used it for towing.

And today, as the politics in europe are getting more and more "green", and some countries even banned the sale of cars with combustion engines after 2030, i thought this will be the last time in my life i will be able to own a fullsize pickup truck in europe. Thats why i bought one, and will drive it as long as you're not going to jail or into bankruptcy for driving one.