2019+ leveled trucks

16 minutes ago, RadoPhan said:

If money and downtime wasn’t an issue than I would hands down go with Kings again. Avoid Icons if you’re looking for a good balance between on and off road. They have digressive valving which means they are stiffer at slower speeds then soften up. Fox and Kings are progressive which is somewhat of the opposite. They ride way better on road and to be honest I would say off-road too. I’ve mainly experienced all of these setups in Toyota Tacomas and Tundras and there was a significant difference in brands. Fox and Kings were pretty close when it came to the 2.5s with adjusters. I have a few friends that have Kings on their GM 1500s and they swear by it. You have to remember that when you see the off-road racing scene, who are you most likely to see racers run? Kings. I’ve never seen a built professional off-road vehicle with Icons. Obviously my opinion and others may think differently but it makes somewhat of sense. All shock companies have issues here and there but if you look up Icon shocks you’ll see way more than others (i.e. leaks, corrosion). Personally, I would only recommend Kings. And about the downtime part, I meant rebuilding them. You have to take them off and send them somewhere to get rebuilt every 50k miles and it can take on average 2 weeks. I really don’t have that time for my daily driver. Also when I was building the Tacoma, I didn’t have a little one yet but now my daughter is 3 and growing so needed a balance between a truck and family daily vehicle and the Trail Boss was a good in between. Sorry for the long response. Hope that helps. Oh and I think the KO2s will ride better than the stock Wranglers. The difference will be stiffer for BFGs only because it’ll be E rated tires vs C rated for the Wranglers but the weight of the truck might balance it out.

No, this is fantastic. Thank you for your input.

• Like 1

I would definetly go king if I was gonna spend "the money".....

I hoped you scrapped out suspension b4 sale of taco

Edited by Dunn

I would definetly go king if I was gonna spend "the money".....

I hoped you scrapped out suspension b4 sale of taco

Unfortunately didn’t have the time to pull apart and trade for OEM parts since I dumped all original parts. It was easier to sell all together with my truck. I was able to sell my truck for 5500 more than a stock one would so it wasn’t too bad. I would’ve probably been able to squeeze out 2k more if I parted it out but too much of a hassle and wanted to take advantage of the current rebates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya....I have done this numerous times so am little more careful how I spend my money...mostly tho with racebikes, I built them up and sold them but always for less than what I put in but more than stock.....really I was moments away from going to get these kings, I mean literally on the road and it just hit me of all times I did before....and I know they are nice, and now am looking to trade out for 2500 (which originally I wanted just no deals at time)….so if this works out glad I didn't do it......but if 100% going to keep truck for awhile, I don't think you can do better than these.....ive ridden in king setups...granted they were a lil different but one thing I can say about kings is PLUSH....very controlled and super smooth....if you have coin and plan on keeping the vehicle w/o question I wouldn't hesitate....yeah its bit of inconvience to take em off after 50-100k but you will get essentially brand new set back for fraction of cost, and can tweak it if you prefer it a bit different......throwaways are in a different category....if your not that sensitive or care save your money, but if your very articulate and want the best and can notice subtleties its totally worth it.....like saying goes

the best you know is the best you've ridden.....and its so true

• Like 1

I hear ya....I have done this numerous times so am little more careful how I spend my money...mostly tho with racebikes, I built them up and sold them but always for less than what I put in but more than stock.....really I was moments away from going to get these kings, I mean literally on the road and it just hit me of all times I did before....and I know they are nice, and now am looking to trade out for 2500 (which originally I wanted just no deals at time)….so if this works out glad I didn't do it......but if 100% going to keep truck for awhile, I don't think you can do better than these.....ive ridden in king setups...granted they were a lil different but one thing I can say about kings is PLUSH....very controlled and super smooth....if you have coin and plan on keeping the vehicle w/o question I wouldn't hesitate....yeah its bit of inconvience to take em off after 50-100k but you will get essentially brand new set back for fraction of cost, and can tweak it if you prefer it a bit different......throwaways are in a different category....if your not that sensitive or care save your money, but if your very articulate and want the best and can notice subtleties its totally worth it.....like saying goes

the best you know is the best you've ridden.....and its so true

Good luck on the 2500. That’s what I wanted originally too but with similar options it was way too expensive. Totally agree with you on Kings, they are totally worth it!! But this time around I won’t be able to convince my wife about the logical purchase for a “family” vehicle. We’ll be towing a travel trailer and going on long road trips so I can live with not having a really capable off-road truck. And that’s where the Can-am will come in lol

that's ok man you have a family.....they aren't that pricey really( unless diesel) just not many rebates or incentives until end of year...but maybe now with all that is going on its already starting and end of the month as well....you know dealers tho until its not final til its final so....but i have already had my 1500 sacked out more than few times

yeah i had a sweet deal for kings on all 4 corners and UCAs for 3k  cash no tax.....and i walked away, lol..whateves

LT TB was my first choice but they wanted too much back than and custom was kind of a joke

whats your comparison of ranchos vs kings?....i had ranchos b4 but along time ago

that's ok man you have a family.....they aren't that pricey really( unless diesel) just not many rebates or incentives until end of year...but maybe now with all that is going on its already starting and end of the month as well....you know dealers tho until its not final til its final so....but i have already had my 1500 sacked out more than few times

yeah i had a sweet deal for kings on all 4 corners and UCAs for 3k  cash no tax.....and i walked away, lol..whateves

LT TB was my first choice but they wanted too much back than and custom was kind of a joke

whats your comparison of ranchos vs kings?....i had ranchos b4 but along time ago

3k for that is really good! As far as the Ranchos, they are ok. Too soft for my liking but on the road it feels more like a car and the rebound is soft. It’s comfortable for the family but I have a feeling it won’t handle off-road terrain as well. Any quality aftermarket coil over will stiffen the ride a little since you’re more than likely to put preload on it but you will feel more in control of the truck both on and off road. But it will swallow up any bumps and dips like a champ. I tried gassing it over a dip and speed bump on my stock Trail Boss and it’s just not the same and now I don’t feel comfortable with it where I slow down for them. It’s a give and take, if you want a comfortable “car” like ride, Ranchos are decent and I’m sure I can take it on trails!slowly. But if you want to feel more in control, Kings are the way to go and trust me, you can decently gas it and go at a good speed off road. I’ve gone through some decent terrain hitting 45mph+ with Kings and it’s super plush!

Again thanks above on the info regarding coil overs (king/fox/icon)... This is why I take a lot of time thinking and doing research before big purchases, like a new truck or major suspension upgrade. I started with wanting Fox because that's what I've known - moved onto Icon - now I'm back onto Fox and King added (due to the valving which should be better on the street and at slower speeds vs. Icon ).  I am correct on that, yes?! ?

My issue with the Kings, and I know this sounds petty, but I just can't get past all the blue color. Like, I don't like it for me and my truck. I'm going for a very clean OEM-style look with largely Black some grey some silver/chrome on my truck overall. Today I learned that you can get some color changes done on the King parts but not the coil springs. Those will always be blue. This is because if you put the springs on and they're not the right specs you wanted, you can replace them no problem - just shipping.

There was mention of taking the coils to an aftermarket shop and have them spray the springs the color of your liking. I would want them done in black. What's involved with taking them to a place to do this? With the springs compressing - are they even able to be sprayed or dipped in quality material where they won't flake off?? 

My problem is I can't do this install myself, so putting them on then taking them off then putting them back on is a no go for me. I ain't paying that much service costs!!

Edited by Duramax3oh

http://www.buykingshocks.com/coilovers/index.html

FYI this is the video I partly watched which is phenomenal for anyone wanting to just get better informed like me. This guy does a real good job of explaining things in other videos as well. 

It's a long video and you can click just below it to skip to different sections. I watched the Shock Options section and he shows some good examples.  

Edited by Duramax3oh

yeah and filthy motorsports has a couple good videos too explaining differences between shocks, valving and why upper end coilovers are better.....also has a good one on UCAs as well and different type of ball joints.....very informative stuff

• Like 1

Again thanks above on the info regarding coil overs (king/fox/icon)... This is why I take a lot of time thinking and doing research before big purchases, like a new truck or major suspension upgrade. I started with wanting Fox because that's what I've known - moved onto Icon - now I'm back onto Fox and King added (due to the valving which should be better on the street and at slower speeds vs. Icon ).  I am correct on that, yes?! [emoji16]   My issue with the Kings, and I know this sounds petty, but I just can't get past all the blue color. Like, I don't like it for me and my truck. I'm going for a very clean OEM-style look with largely Black some grey some silver/chrome on my truck overall. Today I learned that you can get some color changes done on the King parts but not the coil springs. Those will always be blue. This is because if you put the springs on and they're not the right specs you wanted, you can replace them no problem - just shipping.

There was mention of taking the coils to an aftermarket shop and have them spray the springs the color of your liking. I would want them done in black. What's involved with taking them to a place to do this? With the springs compressing - are they even able to be sprayed or dipped in quality material where they won't flake off?? 

My problem is I can't do this install myself, so putting them on then taking them off then putting them back on is a no go for me. I ain't paying that much service costs!!

Just like [mention=208424]Dunn[/mention] said, Filthy Motorsports has great info and they can order special colors for you. Accutune Offroad are knowledgeable too and has great videos on valving. Personally I like the blue bling but if you want more subtle color specifically the coils, powder coat is the best route but can chip/flake. Good thing is all King coils are from Eibach so you can just tell whoever you order from to get the standard silver Eibach spring with the same length/spring rate and the quality will hold better since it’s from the manufacturer vs small shop powder coating it. I recommend not going too high on the spring rate, it’ll get stiff so get whatever is recommended from King at the lowest rate. My guess is 600lbs unless you plan to add a lot of weight up front (i.e. steel bumper, winch, etc). 

• Thanks 1

I posted in another thread I thought eibach made the springs.....they aren't that far away from each other and eibach custom makes springs as well I believe

that thing flashing with the model and price is very annoying, lol.....idk how many appreciate that when your trying to just look 

I dig the blue as well, would have no issue running those bad boys....

and correct on spring rate....want to run softest rate possible, spring just holds the truck up so shock can do its job, if you have winch, bumper, etc than obviously need heavier

its funny because theory of suspension is probably same or similar in all motorsports....for motocross its exactly same....the spring is for riders weight.....shock dampening does all work....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ETA I don't know how to embed youtube videos but (it automatically does it!) came across this when I went down the ol' youtube-rabbit hole.  Comments on the video appear to show people have had issues with the lift though. 

Really just posting for visuals and reference specs.

I think the lift size/tire combo is really sharp looking - good clean, proportional, balanced look to it.

3" lift

295/55R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Edited by Duramax3oh