Cracked instrument cluster cover

The plastic cover over the instrument cluster on my 2016 Silverado High Country cracked in 3 places. I've tried to find a replacement cover online but with no luck. It appears that the only way to replace the cover is to replace the entire instrument cluster, which seems ridiculous. Anyone come across this before? If so, how did you find a find a new plastic cover for the instrument cluster?

Clarke cracked instrument display 5.29.19.jpg

2 hours ago, clarkecoln said:

The plastic cover over the instrument cluster on my 2016 Silverado High Country cracked in 3 places. I've tried to find a replacement cover online but with no luck. It appears that the only way to replace the cover is to replace the entire instrument cluster, which seems ridiculous. Anyone come across this before? If so, how did you find a find a new plastic cover for the instrument cluster?

Well, the digital cluster is calling your name if you can’t find a replacment

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:39 PM, clarkecoln said:

Did it crack by itself, or was it something that you did?

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

Did it crack by itself, or was it something that you did?

I don't know for sure how it happened. I know I did not do it, but I did have my truck in to be detailed. A few days afterward I noticed the cracks. The detail shop said they had no proof either way whether it happened on their watch or not, but they've agreed to help with the repair cost. I ended up getting a replacement lens for $30 from www.SPECMO.com. I haven't installed it yet. Hopefully it fits. 

On 5/31/2019 at 9:00 PM, CCGMC said:

The dealer should warranty that even at your mileage. Jeez, that’s pretty lame. 

I've been around the block with the dealer on another item (the XM radio antenna died and cost $500 to replace) and they were no help. To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed with the nickle and dime things that have been failing on my 2016 Chevy. I've driven GM trucks for more than 20 years - never had issues like this. Starting to question quality a little. 

On 5/30/2019 at 9:50 PM, lapoolboy said:

Lens should be about $30.  Give them a call tomorrow.

Specmo helped me out. Easy to work with, and yes, only $30 for the lens. Received it this week but haven't installed it yet. Hope it fits. Thanks for sharing the info!

15 minutes ago, clarkecoln said:

I don't know for sure how it happened. I know I did not do it, but I did have my truck in to be detailed. A few days afterward I noticed the cracks. The detail shop said they had no proof either way whether it happened on their watch or not, but they've agreed to help with the repair cost. I ended up getting a replacement lens for $30 from www.SPECMO.com. I haven't installed it yet. Hopefully it fits. 

Did they send instructions with the lens? Just so you know how it is attached to the cluster.

If the detail shop is willing to help, might be a good chance to upgrade like mentioned above.

I would say the cracks are consistent with someone hitting the lens with the end of a shop vac while cleaning it.

56 minutes ago, clarkecoln said:

I've been around the block with the dealer on another item (the XM radio antenna died and cost $500 to replace) and they were no help. To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed with the nickle and dime things that have been failing on my 2016 Chevy. I've driven GM trucks for more than 20 years - never had issues like this. Starting to question quality a little. 

Some of the issues I read on here are hard to imagine. It makes you lose your faith in GM but I would imagine if I went on a Dodge or Ford forum I’d read the similar crazy issues.  I try and tell myself this forum is a small subset of owners with corner case issues and most people are satisfied with their GM trucks and have pretty good luck with them. My 2018 Sierra has been perfect and it has 34k miles on it.  

Good luck and try and keep things in perspective. I agree there are some places where they have cut corners but there are some people with some real horror stories out there. 

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 2:28 PM, clarkecoln said:

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but do you remember what the part number it is that you use?

I have a cracked 2016 Denali Cluster and the dealership is telling me they don't sell the clear lens alone and can't give me a part number for it.

That'll I'll have to trade in my old one and they'll send me a whole new cluster for ONLY $400 bucks!!

1 hour ago, Sanramir said:

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but do you remember what the part number it is that you use?

I have a cracked 2016 Denali Cluster and the dealership is telling me they don't sell the clear lens alone and can't give me a part number for it.

That'll I'll have to trade in my old one and they'll send me a whole new cluster for ONLY $400 bucks!!

I don't recall the part number, but just call them 800-545-7910 (www.SPECMO.com). The person I spoke with was Stephanie Leone and she was incredibly helpful. I ended up emailing her a photo of my instrument cluster and their team figured out the right lens that I needed. I bet they can do the same for you, for WAYYYY less than the $400 the dealership wants. Good luck!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 3:06 PM, clarkecoln said:

I don't recall the part number, but just call them 800-545-7910 (www.SPECMO.com). The person I spoke with was Stephanie Leone and she was incredibly helpful. I ended up emailing her a photo of my instrument cluster and their team figured out the right lens that I needed. I bet they can do the same for you, for WAYYYY less than the $400 the dealership wants. Good luck!  

Clark, definately appreciate you posting this!!

so just for others researching wanting to do the same thing.  I called the number you referenced above and when they asked for a part number i just provided them the cluster part number telling them I only needed the "Cluster Lens" which was 30 bucks.  Ground shipping was $6 to TX and overnight was $10 so for $36 bucks I'll replace the lens of my cluster at a way cheaper price than the quoted 400 from the dealer!!

Thanks again man!!

• Like 1