Will Venmo $ if you can solve my Instrument Cluster Issue.

Cluster will work (1/10 times from start up) for about 15 minutes until all gauges drop and other indicator lights come on.  Truck was working fine with no issues until a few weeks after my local dealer replaced the fuse junction box. (Check engine light was not showing up when I turned the key so would not pass inspection).  

Recently had a local shop try and fix it with a used ebay cluster I bought but that cluster didn't work either. After I picked up my truck, the cluster worked fine for 2 weeks no issues then back to acting up like before. 

Is there something that is shorting or coming loose that I should check?

Today leaving work, cluster was working until I hit my high beams and without skipping a beat, gauges dropped.  

PHOTOS: truck is being driven.

Thank you in advance. 

20230123_163816.jpg

20220823_172421.jpg

Youre going to have to find someone who actually knows the electronics on this truck, not an internet guess. Its going to require some diagnostics, not just opening the parts cannon on it. 

• Thanks 1

Just like @Snowcamo mentioned, start with your grounds. There is a ground for the negative terminal that bolts to the frame just behind the passenger front wheel well/splash shield. Check to make sure it’s clean and on tight.

Also, what year is your truck? If it’s an older K2, pull the small front cover on top of the dash where your DRL sensor is. On the driver side, you’ll see a ground there. If there is insulation bolted down with the ground, unbolt it, snip the piece of insulation away and bolt the ground back down snug. Let us know if this fixes it.

• Like 1

@Snowcamo@steelerdude15Copy that. A few buddies said the same about the ground. I will try myself to find a bad connection, If I can't find anything I will have someone look at it. Unfortunately not very mechanically inclined. Will definitely post up any news. 

Its a 2015 1500 5.3.

@64BAwagon I figured I'd have to go that route. I just wanted to reach out on here and see if anyone else might have had this same issue so maybe I could try and fix myself or atleaat give a mechanic a starting point. 

Appreciate the reply guys. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steelerdude15 said:

Just like @Snowcamo mentioned, start with your grounds. There is a ground for the negative terminal that bolts to the frame just behind the passenger front wheel well/splash shield. Check to make sure it’s clean and on tight.

Also, what year is your truck? If it’s an older K2, pull the small front cover on top of the dash where your DRL sensor is. On the driver side, you’ll see a ground there. If there is insulation bolted down with the ground, unbolt it, snip the piece of insulation away and bolt the ground back down snug. Let us know if this fixes it.

On the early to mid 2000's trucks it was almost always the ground at the frame/body mount right under the drivers feet. I had a friend that went all the way to Colorado to go hunting, got into the mountain snow and then couldnt get his truck into 4wd. I told him to take a socket and tighten that ground strap screw and sure enough it worked. Come to think of it he still owes me a few beers for that heads up.  LOL

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, H.w.H. said:

Cluster will work (1/10 times from start up) for about 15 minutes until all gauges drop and other indicator lights come on.  Truck was working fine with no issues until a few weeks after my local dealer replaced the fuse junction box. (Check engine light was not showing up when I turned the key so would not pass inspection).  

Recently had a local shop try and fix it with a used ebay cluster I bought but that cluster didn't work either. After I picked up my truck, the cluster worked fine for 2 weeks no issues then back to acting up like before. 

Is there something that is shorting or coming loose that I should check?

Today leaving work, cluster was working until I hit my high beams and without skipping a beat, gauges dropped.  

PHOTOS: truck is being driven.

Thank you in advance. 

20230123_163816.jpg

20220823_172421.jpg

There is a ground that is right near the driver's side dash speaker.  Its called ground G218.  Check that out and see if its loose or anything has interfered with that ground.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...