Ford gets sued for lower mpg

Joe's 2017 Silverado

I felt GM has always been conservative in giving out rated mpg on their cars and I have hit the mark or even get better mpg on my truck based on the window sticker.

https://driving.ca/ford/f-150/auto-news/news/ford-sued-for-allegedly-falsifying-fuel-economy-ratings-on-f-150-trucks

That has got to be the dumbest law suit I've ever heard of. The EPA number is not a guarantee or a contract. It's hardly an indicator. The very premise of the test is flawed and well known. IF there is fault it lays at the door of the EPA for calculating instead of testing....wait....they do test and the number isn't calculated at all! What am I missing here? And why FORD? GM stickers have shown over 20 for quite a few years now and yet the GOV site shows 17 mpg the actual consumer 'field' proof number. Should GM be sued as well for failing to anticipate the public? I love "anonymous plaintiff" law suits. 

No reasonable person would …… well these are not reasonable times, are they?  :shakehead:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

I’ve seen plenty of posting here of people beating the sticker mileage. I routinely beat the sticker mileage of my Camry. I’m sure you’ll find the same on the Ford enthusiast site. Every ad on tv says you’re mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only point one could argue is that the EPA tests do not accurately represent real world driving. Their "highway" tests are done far below the speeds most people travel on freeways, so that number is inflated. If a consumer understands that, then there is no reason to sue.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aseibel said:

The only point one could argue is that the EPA tests do not accurately represent real world driving. Their "highway" tests are done far below the speeds most people travel on freeways, so that number is inflated. If a consumer understands that, then there is no reason to sue.

Freaks like me that drive a bit under as the rule and get better than sticker...can I sue too? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I usually expect my car to have identical mileage as EPA figures. If nobody's able to beat EPA figures, then we got a problem. Prius had that problem too.

That being said, I was able to regularly beat EPA numbers on my 2012 F-150 but I found it much, much more difficult to do that on my 2016 F-150. Sometimes, I'd match EPA's numbers even after hypermiling and using all kinds of strategies to improve gas mileage.

My 2019 Silverado is incredibly easy!