At4 Concerns, potential buyer

Getting a truck at the end of the year, my concerns with AT4, which is what I want are the rear end hopping and seat comfort. 

For those of you that have had them a while, are you having issues with the rear end hopping when it shouldnt?

I've also heard from multiple people the seats are really uncomfortable.  I drive about 200 miles per day, how bad are they?

Thanks. 

I have an AT4 and I love it. I think the seats are fine! As far as the hop, my 2015 2 wheel SLT crew cab would hop when taking off quickly. This truck, I leave in auto 4 wheel, and it doesn't do it one bit when getting on it. I highly recommend this truck.

18k miles on the truck so far.

Edited by mattsvtcobra

I absolutely love my AT4. I drive close to 100 miles a day and have no complaints about the seats. As far as the rear end hop over certain bumps, every truck I have owned has had this issue. While it seems to be a bit worse with this truck, I have never felt unsafe because of it. 

Have been several threads about the wheel hop, chatter, and rear end side displacement on rough roads on the newest 1500 generation. Has me wondering if the lighter composite materials used in parts of the bed to reduce overall weight haven't contributed to the already poor front to rear weight bias inherent in p/u trucks since their very inception. Would be interesting if one of the automotive/truck rags that has the $ and time did a test on certified scales about p/u front to rear weight bias, different brands, generations, etc.

• Like 1

First truck OP? There isn't an issue with the rear end hoping around. All live axles can do that under a particular/unique circumstance. The few that complain just aren't used to it, have unrealistic expectations or came from another truck set up differently where it wouldn't do it in one spot but may have somewhere else. No issues though, you won't crash if you find the 1 in a thousand spot that makes the axles bounce around a little, the stability systems keep that in check. As for seat comfort, that is on your, each person is different. A nice CUV with an IRS would be less prone to rear end movement...

Tyler

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

First truck OP? There isn't an issue with the rear end hoping around. All live axles can do that under a particular/unique circumstance. The few that complain just aren't used to it, have unrealistic expectations or came from another truck set up differently where it wouldn't do it in one spot but may have somewhere else. No issues though, you won't crash if you find the 1 in a thousand spot that makes the axles bounce around a little, the stability systems keep that in check. As for seat comfort, that is on your, each person is different. A nice CUV with an IRS would be less prone to rear end movement...

Tyler

I had a 2017 f150 I had to lemon law. Never had any issues with rear end hopping outside of normal rwd biased fish tailing that happens with any truck or rwd sports car. That isn't a problem, I know how to drive a truck. I was referring to the numerous posts I've seen talking about the rear end hopping way worse than that to the point it is a safety issue.  

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

28 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

There isn't an issue with the rear end hoping around.

Do you own a T1? 

10 minutes ago, Mikedfw said:

I was referring to the numerous posts I've seen talking about the rear end hopping way worse than that to the point it is a safety issue.  

These reports are accurate. I've had it happen on my RST Z71 a few times. It's never been "unsafe", per se. It has, however, been alarming and unsettling each time.

Extended test drive is a very good idea and not an issue at most dealers. I own a 6.2 AT4 and at first had some of the exact same concerns. I don’t think the truck rear end and bounce is much different than any other truck i have owned but remember it is 2 inches taller and the center of gravity is much different. The seat took some getting used to but now i prefer it to my 2017 Z71 Suburban. Just had to find the right position. Think it was more of a distance issue for the pedals and steering wheel for me vs actual seat comfort. Took some time for me to figure out where i wanted to be now that the pedals are not adjustable. 

I will chime in. I have the AT4 and have also experienced the bounce some here are talking about. In my case, this is my first ever truck so it sort of surprised me as i wasn't expecting it being used to a sedan and all. If you are already used to driving a truck, maybe it won't be as bad. My 2 cents. There are also some other small issues as no vehicle is perfect. In general, i love my AT4. 

I put about 40k miles/ year on my vehicles. At4 seats are great. I’m a really big guy (6’4, 300lbs), and have had no issues with the seats- in fact, have thought on several occasions that these seem to be more comfortable than my 15 Silverado. Come to think of it, this could also be why I haven’t experienced the back end chatter of the wheels ??

Edited by Schmoe

Gravity....make the truck 400 lighter and less weight holding it down onto the road.

Rear end hopped more than my '16 Z71. Pulled the two Swing Away saddlebags when I traded the '16 hoping to remount in the '19....didn't fit because of the welded hooks, different shaped wheel wells and would block the bed lights. Replaced the 100 lbs of crap each (weight cracked the saddlebags anyway) and loaded into two milk crates behind each wheel.......no hopping. Plan on adding another 50 lbs. each, could care less about small reduction in gas mileage.....also better rear end handling on hairpins using the 22"s.

• Like 1

Seats are fine for long distance drives.  My lower back is an issue but not in the AT4.  My back takes a beating after 3 - 4 hours in my C7 Corvette but not in the AT4.

As far as "hopping", a set of traction bars will eliminate the issue....

image.jpeg.fb93ddc0f71a3c58226d7c0a1d63d2fe.jpeg