Car wash preferences

Alright guys, so I'm new to the whole washing the truck extensively thing. I usually just go through a car was and call it good, but this is my first brand new vehicle and am looking to keep it looking as brand new as possible for as long as possible because I paid a lot for it. What are your recommendations for chemicals and tools and whatnot?

Here a good starting point:

I do something similar, but switched to a one bucket wash. Use about 12-15 micro fiber mitts, one for each panel/section and never dipping into the bucket twice. So water stays clean and no floating grime in water.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

You can still go through the car wash, I do all of the time. TOUCH-LESS ONLY! And make sure it’s a newer one that’s in good shape, wide enough to fit your truck, fold the mirrors and you’re good to go.

I rarely have the time/ energy to break out the buckets and hand wash. If you do, get some good microfiber mitts (I use Meguiars), grit guards in the bottoms of the two buckets, and a good quality wash, not dish soap. It’s not rocket science. The goal is just to not rub dirt around on the truck.

For touch ups or to clean up any spots that the car wash leaves behind, I use some nice fluffy Meguiars microfiber towels and a waterless wash solution. Meguiars and Adams both make a nice one. Good luck and congrats on the truck.

• Like 2

Use a good heavy duty cleaner that does the whole job effectively, easily and safely. Don't waste money on all those fancy expensive products that just drain your pocket book. 

All you need is a weed sprayer, a good product (like ZOOM), a soft car wash brush, and a garden hose with a spray gun. Don't use a bucket- it's inefficient and can cause other issues.
The right product will easily clean dirt, bugs, brake dust, road grime, tree sap, bird crap etc. No need for a bunch of overpriced 'specialty' products.

Edited by Nanotech Environmental

Get decent soap like wolfgang coating with SiO2 will clean well and give a nice coating that beads the water off.

two bucket method , micro fiber or sheep skin wash mitt and cloths to dry.

Browse the forums at autogeekonline, there is a ton of good info on good products, simple washes and professional detailing.

• Like 1

I’d suggest you figure out what you want to do as far as paint coating/protection first. You can wax, seal or have ceramic applied or some sort of film/wrap. What you do there will impact what you need to invest for washing and maintaining the coating(s). As far as your cleaning agent/soap - pay attention to what it will or will not remove. You may not want a cleaner that removes something you’ve spent a weekend applying.

The basics of washing are above - it’s mostly about not contaminating your wash mitt/whatever or the water or towels being used. You drop it, you stop using it and get another. It’s easy to get caught up in all the products so ask or do the research before going all out. Also, not all products are intended to keep your paint/clear swirl free. Swirls being the light scratches you typically see on cars that go,through contact car washes. There are products that can cause swirls with the intent that a paint correction (machine polish) will follow later.

Edited by Wheelguy

Get ceramic coating, it’s pricey (~$800) but will make your truck look like new for 2-3 years. When washing, use the two bucket method (google it) - about twice a month. Then repeat the ceramic coating every 2-3 years and your truck will look like new for a very, very long time.

I don't do touchless. I can't see spending $10 to have  my truck just as dirty truck as when I drove in.

I don't do brush or pad contact washes. I like my paint and my trim. 

Bay and wand is okay. Two bucket is better. 

Another fan of Autogeek stuff. We use blackfire soap on the cars, griots for the cleaning and detailing chemicals. Love me some foam cannon.

My 16 yr old sons 11 year old Honda looks brand new because of this and some elbow grease.

Ceramic coat if you can afford it. Wash with the two bucket method and grit guards in the buckets. Wax with a spray on wet wax or get an orbital buffer and go to town with your choice. After a couple years you’re going to end up with some light scratches or swirl marks depending on the color. That’s when you have the truck buffed professionally and it’ll look brand new again. 

Get a PPF on the heavy wear spots (bumper/hood/roof line/front fenders/BEHIND THR DOOR HANDLES!!) and worry less about paint chips.

I've owned many new cars over the last few years.  I'll just say I used to spend 2-3 hours on most weekends cleaning and detailing the cars and now just wash them if they are filthy.  

I use the 2 bucket method, a hose, a Mitt, and Meguiars ultimate wash wax.  When I feel like it (about 1x a year) I'll put Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant Glaze on.  Are my cars clean all the time anymore?  No.  Do they still look good when I want them too or it's time to sell?  Yes.   

The car I traded in when I bought the truck I just keep tidy during the 3.5 years I owned it, and the day I was getting it appraised and trading in I did a vacuum, wash, wax, quick detail spray.  Car looked great, dealer gave me top dollar.

• Like 2

I would highly recommend getting or doing yourself the ceramic coating on the paint itself. This will greatly cut down the PM needed on the paint. Most coatings if done properly last 5+ years with a yearly exo coating. 

This leads me into washing, when washing I personally use chemical guys soaps...I've had great success with them and no issues. If you don't want to use x amount of microfiber mitts you can purchase a grit guard. You place it in the bottom of your 5 gallon and it sorts MOST of the grit out of your mitt. 

Heck if you're interested I would also say you can get a foam cannon for your pressure washer or garden hose as well. I would at all costs avoid any sort of car washes.