Trailer rear camera - 5th Wheels

So it seems there is very little info out there yet about how people are using the integrated rear camera.  Anyone have experience with it pulling a fifth wheel?  I have a 40' 5th wheel and I wonder how good the factory system is, difficulty installing, etc.  I think I found that the 2019 camera works for the 2020 ( 84580657 ) but not 100% certain.  can't find the 2020 part number reference yet.

9 minutes ago, powerhaulic said:

Scheduled to pick up my camera and other accessories tomorrow, will report back.

going on a 41' Montana

Great!  Please do keep us informed!  I have about a month until my next trip to figure this all out.  Ha!

I would not recommend putting trailer cameras on fifth wheels over 35 ft in length.  The cables are not long enough if you are using the 2019 camera version.  I can check if the 2020 version is longer.   

I would caution you to be extremely careful installing on fifth wheels.  You need a really large loop at front of trailer or you are going to rip the connector off when you turn.  With the trailer camera hookup in the bumper not in the bed, you can't zip tie the camera wires to seven way connection.

If you are mechanically inclined and only using trailer cams on fifth wheels and GNs, I would recommend seeing if the coax cables are long enough to move from bumper to box location.  Then you can swap seven connectors between box and bumper.

#iworkforGM 

4 hours ago, powerhaulic said:

Scheduled to pick up my camera and other accessories tomorrow, will report back.

going on a 41' Montana

I have been trolling the forums to get as much info as I can re the trailer cameras. I got some photos on the cable and the ends where the plug in is at also the camera is at. Could you measure the entire length as some say its 56 feet some say its 65 feet. Also if you can determine IF the corrugated cable is hollow with the conductors inside is free floating or if it is molded in the entire length. I am curious as I want to fish it into a 1/2"  EMT tube. It would require that I remove either the plug end or the camera end. Does the camera have screws on one side of the case to allow the case to be opened? If the cable can be spliced or some how opened to be worked on would be great info. Please take additional pictures please.

Thanks 

Chuck

19 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

I would not recommend putting trailer cameras on fifth wheels over 35 ft in length.  The cables are not long enough if you are using the 2019 camera version.  I can check if the 2020 version is longer.   

I would caution you to be extremely careful installing on fifth wheels.  You need a really large loop at front of trailer or you are going to rip the connector off when you turn.  With the trailer camera hookup in the bumper not in the bed, you can't zip tie the camera wires to seven way connection.

If you are mechanically inclined and only using trailer cams on fifth wheels and GNs, I would recommend seeing if the coax cables are long enough to move from bumper to box location.  Then you can swap seven connectors between box and bumper.

#iworkforGM 

Great info and thank you.  That explains the large loop hanging underneath the 5th wheel I was seeing on the youtube videos.  That could prove difficult.  If only GM had gone wireless!  Furrion makes it work.  :)

2 hours ago, es2020HD said:

Great info and thank you.  That explains the large loop hanging underneath the 5th wheel I was seeing on the youtube videos.  That could prove difficult.  If only GM had gone wireless!  Furrion makes it work.  :)

To get HD images, you need to go with a wire right now.  

Going to see if I have time today to swap the plug positions, ridiculous to have the 4pin connector in the box!! requiring an adapter for lighter trailers

And I don't foresee any need for the camera plugs on the bumper as we have a 5th wheel and plan to get a gooseneck equipment trailer

2 hours ago, powerhaulic said:

Going to see if I have time today to swap the plug positions, ridiculous to have the 4pin connector in the box!! requiring an adapter for lighter trailers

And I don't foresee any need for the camera plugs on the bumper as we have a 5th wheel and plan to get a gooseneck equipment trailer

Let us know how this goes.  And if you get any pics, please share!

3 hours ago, powerhaulic said:

I agree.  I have destroyed 4 trailer cams already trying to make the bumper connection work on fifths or GN.  I would move the coax to bed if they have enough room.

4 hours ago, es2020HD said:

Let us know how this goes.  And if you get any pics, please share!

The plugs will interchange positions, no problem.

The issue is the video cable length in the truck, am currently researching an extension cable to make this happen easily.

2 hours ago, powerhaulic said:

The plugs will interchange positions, no problem.

The issue is the video cable length in the truck, am currently researching an extension cable to make this happen easily.

Can you just plug the camera into the bumper connections and the trailer into the bed?