Trailer rear camera - 5th Wheels

15 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

Here's the front cap routing. I have left it loose underneath after fastening at corner with the slack for attachment to bumper. 

IMG_20191009_183227.jpg

One question, do you need to have the camera mounted a certain distance off of the ground? I have a window on the back of my fifth wheel so I was thinking I would mount it just below the window and then run the cable on the under side of the trailer. Do you think that would work? Also, what is the part number for your system? I tried to order it from my dealer and they told me that the number that I had was for the 1500 trucks and that the HD system isn't out yet...

Someone posted that for best results with the invisable trailer feature the camera should be around the same hight as the tailgate camera. I mounted mine on the roof of the toy hauler and have had calibration issues with the feature. I ordered the 1500 version and the instructions did not talk to that. Interested if anyone has recived the HD version and what the instructions say for mounting. 

Link to HD version

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/trailering/2020-silverado-2500-invisible-trailer-camera-auxiliary-trailer-camera-models-with-cwm-pdm-uvn/84580657-p-92305265.html

Edited by sdelam

2 hours ago, sdelam said:
2 hours ago, MrChips said:

One question, do you need to have the camera mounted a certain distance off of the ground? I have a window on the back of my fifth wheel so I was thinking I would mount it just below the window and then run the cable on the under side of the trailer. Do you think that would work? Also, what is the part number for your system? I tried to order it from my dealer and they told me that the number that I had was for the 1500 trucks and that the HD system isn't out yet...

I have it mounted up where the factory camera prep location was. Maybe 5-6" from the top.They recommend not running the wire underneath due to debris, snags, etc. If you have a safe pathway, it may not be an issue, however. My part number is 84580657. That is the one GM has for the 2020 HD trucks.

2 hours ago, sdelam said:

Someone posted that for best results with the invisable trailer feature the camera should be around the same hight as the tailgate camera. I mounted mine on the roof of the toy hauler and have had calibration issues with the feature. I ordered the 1500 version and the instructions did not talk to that. Interested if anyone has recived the HD version and what the instructions say for mounting. 

Link to HD version

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/trailering/2020-silverado-2500-invisible-trailer-camera-auxiliary-trailer-camera-models-with-cwm-pdm-uvn/84580657-p-92305265.html

Yes, that is the one I have. It only mentions having the camera mounted up high. They say the invisible trailer feature doesn't work well with 5th wheels due to the tailgate camera pretty much looking directly on the storage hatch. When I have mine hooked up, it had a 3-camera view on the screen. The main view was the rear trailer camera, then it had the mirror camera views on each side of that. Not exactly invisible, but it should do all I need it to do when maneuvering the camper. The true invisible camera feature works best with tow-behinds, per GM. The premise is the same using those same camera views as well as the one of the back of the cab to create the silhouette. I may change some settings to try and get the invisible camera option to calibrate and see what it might look like.

Edited by ShotgunZ71

Looking through some specifics in the manual, it states the trailer must be less than 32' long. If any of your information is outside the parameters, the feature will be unavailable. So, I guess one could toy with the dimensions and see if it lets you get a transparent view. Like I mentioned earlier, the 3-camera view that it does give will be fine with me. Heck, even my TT was 36', so that would be out of speck also.

Transparent trailer will not work on fifth wheel or GN.  The system will not calibrate.  

If you have a conventional trailer over the maximum length around 33 ft (10 meters), set your dimension 1 to the maximum.  Transparent will work if you fake the actual length.  Some of the images may not be ideal but, most people won't know the difference.

Most people have issues with the dimension from center of ball to front of the trailer.  This is dimension 5 or 6.  I can't remember for sure.  You need to measure this if the trailer had a flat front.  So if trailer is rounded or pointed, don't measure to point closest to truck.  Measure to where the trailer box ends.

#iworkforGM 

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2019 at 7:39 PM, es2020HD said:

Looks great!  When you hook it up to your truck again, can you snap a shot of how you handled it from front cap to bumper?  Trying to visualize how that would work for turns.

Thought that I would add what I did.  Had to mount the camera just above the license plate due to the length of the trailer. I ran the camera cable inside the belly pan to the front, came up the front under the tongue and horizontally all of the way to the tongue box.  I hooked up the trailer to the truck, plugged the light plug into the connector in the bed and the camera plug into the bumper connection.  I then got into the bed of the truck and under the tongue.  Zip tied the camera cable to the wiring harness until there was a minor amount of play over the tailgate for the camera cable.  This keeps the camera harness in the bed of the truck while turning and there are no issues with it wrapping around the outside of the truck bed. 

20191107_164559[1].jpg

1 hour ago, Rtritter said:

Thought that I would add what I did.  Had to mount the camera just above the license plate due to the length of the trailer. I ran the camera cable inside the belly pan to the front, came up the front under the tongue and horizontally all of the way to the tongue box.  I hooked up the trailer to the truck, plugged the light plug into the connector in the bed and the camera plug into the bumper connection.  I then got into the bed of the truck and under the tongue.  Zip tied the camera cable to the wiring harness until there was a minor amount of play over the tailgate for the camera cable.  This keeps the camera harness in the bed of the truck while turning and there are no issues with it wrapping around the outside of the truck bed. 

20191107_164559[1].jpg

Thanks, Ron!  I'm trying to visualize the setup in the bed.  If you get a chance sometime, please do share a pic of that!  Thanks so much!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for an extension from the connector under the bed, I take my tailgate off for my RV and that makes the camera system unusable. Buying the factory extension that plugs into the rear dual sockets won't help as I need to use the pickup after I reach my destination and remove the RV. I bought an aftermarket camera that will plug in to that under bed connection, but it requires me to craw back under the pickup each time. I need a 3 or 4 foot extension Male to Female coax that when I remove the tailgate, I can route it through the opening at the license plate area, and then hook up the aftermarket camera. I could also easily unplug when going to a store or after I launch my boat. Has anyone come across a part like this? It can even be longer.

Morgan

On 3/25/2020 at 10:24 AM, Morgan Swisher said:

I've been looking for an extension from the connector under the bed, I take my tailgate off for my RV and that makes the camera system unusable. Buying the factory extension that plugs into the rear dual sockets won't help as I need to use the pickup after I reach my destination and remove the RV. I bought an aftermarket camera that will plug in to that under bed connection, but it requires me to craw back under the pickup each time. I need a 3 or 4 foot extension Male to Female coax that when I remove the tailgate, I can route it through the opening at the license plate area, and then hook up the aftermarket camera. I could also easily unplug when going to a store or after I launch my boat. Has anyone come across a part like this? It can even be longer.

Morgan

Following.  Would like one as well if they are not going to to offer a wire harness to the box mount.