Did You Get A Great Deal On a Truck? Was It White? Here's Why We ask.

Gorehamj

2019_Chevy_Silverado_Zane Merva.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
10-7-2019

The likelihood of finding a great deal on a new truck depends on the color you opt for. The researchers at iSeeCars.com analyzed over 4 million new vehicle transactions to determine which color vehicle is most likely to be offered as a deal. They define a deal as 10% better than the average asking price for that model, year, and trim. When it comes to trucks, buying a white one is likely to result in the best chance of a deal.

iseecars truck colors.png

As you can see from the chart above, white is the color most likely to be offered as a deal.  “White is the most popular color for pickup trucks, because they are often used for work purposes and white makes it easier to post recognizable signage on the vehicle,” said Phong Ly, CEO of iSeeCars.com. “Because they are so common, the supply is higher for these color trucks in the used car marketplace, which could make dealers competitive with their pricing.”

Shulman Chevy 1200.jpg

Truck fans will be glad to hear that the most common color is also the one that is most likely to be discounted. We took a look back at some dealership images we snapped and noticed that ALL the vehicles shown were white.

Chevy commercial.jpg

Chevy also advertises white trucks quite a bit.

beige toyotas crop.jpg

With regard to other vehicles, beige is the color that is most likely to be discounted. Include in that group tan, gold, sand, and "champagne," Toyota's oddly popular color. 

iseecars colors.png

You can check out more on this study at iSeeCars.com here. If you have owned a white truck, tell us in the comments below if you found it to be offered at a great price.  

Chevy dealership image Merva for GMT only.jpg

I have a Silverado LTZ Crewcab and a Tahoe. They are both Iridescent white. 

They look nothing like commercial, fleet or work vehicles. They get plenty of looks and comments all the time. At night in a store or shopping center lot, they even glow from the lights. Easy to keep looking clean. LOVE THEM!!!!

• Like 2

My trucks have been red the last five purchases because of the beautiful paints now being used.  My favorite color is white normally but the metallic reds that glow day and night have taken control , my Canyon Denali has such a rich look to it white is totally overshadowed by comparison.   Maybe next year I can go back to white....

F96DE0A1-9BEE-484A-92EA-4031E8E3989A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ibmikey said:

My trucks have been red the last five purchases because of the beautiful paints now being used.  My favorite color is white normally but the metallic reds that glow day and night have taken control , my Canyon Denali has such a rich look to it white is totally overshadowed by comparison.   Maybe next year I can go back to white....

F96DE0A1-9BEE-484A-92EA-4031E8E3989A.jpeg

You dog looks like he might prefer white. 

• Haha 1

Don't I know it. Way up in the Northeast, and black still gets hot. I've got black leather inside, too. When my wife jumps in with shorts on, it makes for a good laugh. ?

Thing is perpetually dirty, too. Winter, summer - doesn't matter, but especially winter with the road salt.

Thing is already starting to rust out at 98k miles, even with 12 years of garaging every night. For the past 10 years, she's been garaged most of its life. Still got rust coming through the rear fenders, and the rocker panels.  Was the first new vehicle I ever bought in my life, so she got washed and waxed regularly, too. ?

post-65085-0-14168300-1457050994_thumb.jpg

The pearl white is sharp IMHO.

Not the older GM White Diamond color (yellowish ting) but the newer

pearl white which does not appear yellow in certain lighting conditions.

Another great information post John!

Keep up the good work ?

Yuup, bought White  ( Summit White )....and it was a great deal, but had never heard of or seen this statistic about colours of trucks !!!! Actually, second white truck in 25  years.....

Edited by Hobey
Grammar error

ep - avoid white, because in 5 years everyone will see the rust stains over the rear wheels, and along the rocker panels to the cab corners. ?

Gotta hand it to GM - at least they're consistent ... 

Its in every color where I live.

black has an awesome longevity.. assume its the way it stays drier in the sun after storms.

I set up my metal hobby for my 96.. plasma cutter etc.

can even make a different weight class out of them if motivated.

I hate white trucks. Reminds me of a work truck. I used to get a new company truck every two years back in the 80's when I worked for a decent sized home builder. Guess what color? White. 

Plain Jane 1/2 ton longbed 2wd Chevy. 3 on the tree six banger. All they had to do was haul me and my tools around from job to job. I had a 80, 82, and a 84. Boring as a truck could be.

White would be my last choice.

I don't hate white. White lacquer on my 70's Vette looked killer. Ditto the heavily cleared white on my 2010 Buick Lacrosse. 

Summit White on the wife's 14 Terrain has got to be the cheapest paint ever made and precious little of it is on this vehicle. What was put on it won't stay on it. Most of it is under 3.5 mills thick and as far as I can tell the clear is IN the color IF there is any clear whatsoever. More like a single stage.  You could clay this thing twice a day and it would feel like 5K paper 10 minutes after you finish. No wonder it's cheaper. 

I realize it may sound goofy, but white is the preferred color if one lives on rural gravel roads.  It actually shows dirt less.  I have a white 2015 2500HD and a white 2017 Equinox. And I got very good deals on both.

As for any rust that starts in the rear section of the 2500, it will give me the justification to yank the box off and go with something else, like an aluminum flat bed. 

On 10/12/2019 at 12:10 AM, Cowpie said:

I realize it may sound goofy, but white is the preferred color if one lives on rural gravel roads.  It actually shows dirt less.  I have a white 2015 2500HD and a white 2017 Equinox. And I got very good deals on both.

As for any rust that starts in the rear section of the 2500, it will give me the justification to yank the box off and go with something else, like an aluminum flat bed. 

Living on a gravel road in rural Vermont, i'd argue that my gray stays much cleaner than any white vehicles ive seen. 
But that's just my opinion.

• 2 months later...