Does anyone regret getting the 5.3L over the 6.2?

Ive heard the 6.2 is for playing and the 5.3 is for towing.  

the 6.2 might have the edge in every circumstance, but it does seem likely it is not going to be as durable as the 5.3.   An example was cited comparing the 6.0 HD engine to the 6.2. Or even the 6.6 gas to the 6.2.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

If you're concerned enough about power levels to ask the question, and you have the funds to pay the increased cost of the 6.2L, that's the way you'll want to go.  

Otherwise, you'll be like me, always thinking "I should have ordered a 6.2L instead of buying a 5.3L off the lot."  The 5.3L isn't bad, but it's no Hemi and it's certainly no 6.2L.  

The above comment about durability makes no sense to me.  The 6.2L and 5.3L share the same architecture, materials, and assembly methods, and cylinder deactivation systems.  If anything, the 6.2L would be more durable because it would spend less time at full throttle when being pushed hard.  

There's no substitute for bigger bore/longer stroke.  That's what she says, anyway.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Haha 3

I’ve owned 2009 6.2 which I replaced with a 2014 5.3... 

never again, honestly horrible power and towing. I tow max weights. 
Now have 2016 6.2 8 speed Yukon denali

and 2019 6.2 max tow Sierra. Will never drive a 5.3 again. Also the 6.2 mpg was better than the 2014 5.3 6 speed. 
Best $2-3k option you’ll ever spend. 

As far as reliability, never touched the 5.3 in 125,000km. 
2016 6.2 had collapsed lifters which ruined the cam at 25,000km. However fixed in 3 days all on warranty and good as new. Like it never happened. Bad luck? Could it happen to the 5.3? I don’t know. 

Edited by brendon444
  • Like 2

The 5.3 is more than adequate for any driving you need to do on public roads.

The 6.2 is purely for fun/showing off/bragging rights. If you want to pay for the bigger engine, just do it. You don't need permission from strangers online to spend your money.

But you definitely don't need a 6.2. There's a lot of things I don't need that I pay for too, but I don't regret having a 5.3 for 1 second.

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 10

Most don’t regret getting the 5.3, but also, no enthusiast ever regrets getting the big engine either. 

Having driven a couple 19s with the 5.3, they are much more responsive than the previous generation, even though the power ratings are the same. I bet the 5.3 with the 10 speed is even better. The other thing to be aware of is that the Ram, although more powerful, is a much heavier truck that will be down two gears on the 5.3/10 speed. The performance between the two will be much closer than you think.

Driving both the 5.3 and 6.2 side by side is a good start, although I’ll tell you the difference was not all that apparent to me in test drives when the trucks are literally brand new. Both engines will wake up after being broken in, however the 6.2 really wakes up.

If you don’t need ACC you can also consider getting a 2019 with the 6.2 for the same money, or less than the 2020 5.3 10 speed.

It’s depends. If you’re buying an up model already, go for it. Most deals are on packages that don’t include the 6.2. I saved 15K on mine. Enough that my performance vehicle and rainy day beater were covered. Some people keep their vehicles a long time. That also is a no brainer. My wife’s vehicle is a up model, her average is 10 years. Mine is 2-3 years. I buy deals, she doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Having had both, 6.2 is much more powerful than the 5.3 in both the previous and new. Only thing to really consider is that the 5.3 takes regular fuel, the 6.2 prefers super/highest octane the better.
Don’t buy the 6.2 if you’re going to complain about a $5-$10 difference fuel cost when filling up the 6.2. Though the 5.3 is good enough, between the two, I’ll never own anything but a 6.2.

Sent from Above

• Like 4

I've owned several 5.3 trucks. My 19 is a 6.2. The one thing to consider is where previously you could do performance upgrades currently they are very limited. So what you have is pretty much all your going to get. I'm sure eventually tuning will be available but if it's anything like the corvette world the price for tuning is outrageous. Even small performance items like a air intake and cat back can cost you $2000 plus dollars and will still not perform anything like a 6.2. That's not even figuring the 10 speed vs the 8 speed in the equation for the 19 models. The 2020 10 speed 5.3 will perform slightly better than the previous 8 speed models but the 65 hp difference between the 6.2 and 5.3 is still very noticable.

• Like 3

I've owned several 5.3 trucks. My 19 is a 6.2. The one thing to consider is where previously you could do performance upgrades currently they are very limited. So what you have is pretty much all your going to get. I'm sure eventually tuning will be available but if it's anything like the corvette world the price for tuning is outrageous. Even small performance items like a air intake and cat back can cost you $2000 plus dollars and will still not perform anything like a 6.2. That's not even figuring the 10 speed vs the 8 speed in the equation for the 19 models. The 2020 10 speed 5.3 will perform slightly better than the previous 8 speed models but the 65 hp difference between the 6.2 and 5.3 is still very noticable.

You’ll definitely get MUCH more smiles per mile with the 6.2 only thing is that I was told there are NO tunes available, my 18 doesn’t even have a tune for the 8 speed yet, only the motor.

Id highly recommend the 6.2’s but remember, there’s a fuel cost difference and the 6.2 isn’t offered in anything unless you up to the higher end models. So, it’s going to cost you to buy and feed the 6.2’s. A buddy of mine bought the 6.2 GMC AT4 only for the 6.2 that his preference was the Chevy Trail Boss but only came with 5.3. He still prefers the Trail Boss, looks mean and tough lol

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

After trading in my 2017 ZL1 for the 2019 6.2, there was no way I was going 5.3. I added the Borla cat back and adds 15hp to the L87 6.2lL. You can tell the difference in bump of extra hp. The L87 is supposed to have 425 and the L86 420 HP, but the L87 has 10 less TQ. So that would make it right at 440HP in my truck and you can really feel the difference as compared to the 5.3 I drove. 

Plus it is the best engine out there....

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2018/dec/1213-engine.html

425hp

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/04/49203/

Edited by unavailablerado