USB ports in the truck, can they be upgraded?

1 hour ago, Texas Daddy said:

Of course. I put a QC 3.0 panel in a truck jump seat I put between the captians in my burb. All you need is a single socket. 2 wires...r

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's not upgrading the USB port.  Doing that prevents you from using Android Auto (or CarPlay forr the Apple Sheet), so a very certain no-go.

Fortunately, my LG G7 ThinQ, even with Waze, streaming spotify, Android Auto and a Hotspot going can do it without the battery draining further, but it doesn't charge much.

I am curious if it's possible to increase the USB to the 2.1 amps instead of 1 amp? My phone while using navigation will drain faster than it can charge so I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

May I suggest something may be wrong with your phone. I use navigation and I heart together when I travel my phone charges. That’s through several different automobiles. That’s an I phone tho, that could be the difference? I never heard of this, the only reason I bring it up. I did have a phone get stubborn about taking a charge be before I up graded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

May I suggest something may be wrong with your phone. I use navigation and I heart together when I travel my phone charges. That’s through several different automobiles. That’s an I phone tho, that could be the difference? I never heard of this, the only reason I bring it up. I did have a phone get stubborn about taking a charge be before I up graded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your phone is taking a long time to charge, it's ready to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

I've now gotten in the habit of always charging my phone on low power mode as it charges quicker. 

However, the USB ports don't charge as quickly as using a regular car charger I have noticed but I've never had the phone die quicker than it charges. I usually don't use the USB ports because they will turn off after all the computers in the truck go to sleep, and when changing a song on my playlist there is enough of a delay when the phone is plugged up it annoys me. Wish that could be changed. But that's off topic... ?

did you try a different cable? maybe your cable is faulty.

you didn't mention what type of phone you have, what plug does it have? if type-c or lightning, try flipping the plug, sometimes it'll kick it to a faster charge cycle.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 5:53 PM, Rock1500 said:

I am curious if it's possible to increase the USB to the 2.1 amps instead of 1 amp? My phone while using navigation will drain faster than it can charge so I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

i too would like to know if there is a way to upgrade the factory usb ports to a higher amp# w/o loosing factory options?

• Like 1

They are built on the USB 2.0 standards and they are probably only operating on 0.5A. The manual says that they are not for charging but for data transfer from HDD, flash drives, and the like. While 0.5A is pretty anemic, it is enough to run an HDD or a flash drive. I cannot find anywhere what charging standard they are operating under, if it is 1.2 then the USB should be rated for 1.5A.

What radio RPO code does your truck have?

I also keep a charger available that uses the 12v plug.  This will allow me to charge when the truck is off and you can buy one with a higher amp rating.  I seldom leave the house without a fully charged phone so I don't need to fuss with the phone when driving.   Law enforcement here is pretty strict with the use/placement of phones and I keep my phone out of sight to avoid any issues.