Catch Can & Warrenty

Sorry if this has been discussed before. Did a search and found nothing.

Has anyone had any issues with warranty work after installing catch can. Was about to order one but wanted to check here before spending money.

Thanks

This has been discussed ad nauseam.  Some love them, some hate them.  I am of the opinion that they can only help by trapping the junk circulating through the PCV system.  After all, it is just a "filter" placed inline in the PCV hose.  If/when I have to take my truck in while under warranty, I will remove the can.  The one I have uses quick connects and I can have it installed/uninstalled in a couple minutes.

• Thanks 1

My philosophy with mods is this: If you're worried it could cause warranty work to be denied, don't do it until warranty expires. If you don't care about the small chance of a warranty claim, then just do it.

Here's the latest intelligent catch can conversation from earlier this month:

If your truck is new or low miles i would get one. Dealer has to prove that the mod caused the warranty needing service to deny it.

For example if you have a catch can and your Head light or something electrical goes, then cant say oh you have a CC so no warranty. 

Edited by Ozer

Meh, not sold. Any time a warm air circuit expands into an unheated chamber, you get "rain out" (think of sweat on a cold beer can opposite since warm is inside). Thats the "proof" cc people use to justify the efficacy (murky fluid in the can). I would save the money and buy a walnut blast if you actually do get valve deposits - that way all your issues will get completely resolved...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 5:17 PM, Texas Daddy said:

Meh, not sold. Any time a warm air circuit expands into an unheated chamber, you get "rain out" (think of sweat on a cold beer can opposite since warm is inside). Thats the "proof" cc people use to justify the efficacy (murky fluid in the can). I would save the money and buy a walnut blast if you actually do get valve deposits - that way all your issues will get completely resolved...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

You nailed it. Catch cans are a joke and people buy them thinking they work. Can sweats with oil residue inside means murky water at the bottom people say Hey it must be working company that sells them say hehehe yeah they work buy another one for your other car. 

Edited by Silverado4x4

36 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

You nailed it. Catch cans are a joke and people buy them thinking they work. Can sweats with oil residue inside means murky water at the bottom people say Hey it must be working company that sells them say hehehe yeah they work buy another one for your other car. 

This is like Republicans debating Democrats.  ?

I've seen the "with can" and "without can" results on the inside of an intake manifold and the backside of the valves.  I'm judging the effectiveness of the catch can by how my engine internals look - not simply by the presence (or lack of) material in the can.  I will run one from now on based on my own eyeballs.

As for the can "sweating"....that's exactly correct.....that's why there is material with lots of surface area inside them (stainless mesh, perforated baffles, etc)....so the vapor can collect, cool, and condense.  What is the harm in putting a simple "filter"; i.e. catch can, inline in the PCV hose to catch crap?  Is it the money?  I've seen lots of people spend a couple hundred dollars on frivolous things for their trucks and no one bats an eye....but spend it on a catch can and out come the wolves!  ?

• Like 1

I purchased one for my truck, even posted about it here.  There is little to anything in the Can after 5k miles.  My L87 appears to run pretty clean compared to my old 8.1L.  My old Avalanche2500 used to fill the can every 2.5k miles.  But I used to dog the hell out of it, and was at WoT alot.

19 hours ago, lapoolboy said:

This is like Republicans debating Democrats.  ?

I've seen the "with can" and "without can" results on the inside of an intake manifold and the backside of the valves.  I'm judging the effectiveness of the catch can by how my engine internals look - not simply by the presence (or lack of) material in the can.  I will run one from now on based on my own eyeballs.

As for the can "sweating"....that's exactly correct.....that's why there is material with lots of surface area inside them (stainless mesh, perforated baffles, etc)....so the vapor can collect, cool, and condense.  What is the harm in putting a simple "filter"; i.e. catch can, inline in the PCV hose to catch crap?  Is it the money?  I've seen lots of people spend a couple hundred dollars on frivolous things for their trucks and no one bats an eye....but spend it on a catch can and out come the wolves!  ?

Heynow, Im all for them.?

OP if you want info on the how's and why's of a can check the tuner car boards.

That is the only place I found for a real discussion with problems (Oil soaked intercoolers and gunked turbos) and solutions you seek.

As far as warranty, there are good dealers and there are shady dealers, but removing it before needing major warranty repairs is simple enough.

I'll be buying a Mighty Mouse can as soon as they release the new bracket for 2019/2020.

Been talking to them about this. I think one of the Duramax brackets will fit on the battery bracket by the AC line and let you mount the can there. I need to order one and try it.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brianc636 said:

Been talking to them about this. I think one of the Duramax brackets will fit on the battery bracket by the AC line and let you mount the can there. I need to order one and try it.

Thanks, please let me know if it works out.  I contacted them a week or two ago, and they said they were working on getting one fabricated... But I hate waiting.  If it works, please post the part #, and I'll be right behind you.