2015 Sierra 1500 Lifters Failed.. Again

On Sunday March 8th I was driving my Sierra home from my parents-in law. I pulled out from a stop sign and was just getting up to speed when there was a loud bang followed by loss of power, Loud ticking noise,  vibrations and a sulfur smell coming from the exhaust. I knew this was lifters instantly as it Happened to me in August of 2018, a short 11,000 miles ago. So, I took it in to my dealer who ran diagnostics and gave me the news That I would need lifters replaced yet again. Unfortunately, my power train warranty ran out December of 2019, so they told me I would owe a balance of $2900+ tax. Of course I was very upset with this news as I would have imagined the dealer would talk to GM and get this issue sorted out.. I mean it was only a few months over a year and less than 11,000 miles since they replacedall of the lifters and the cam shaft. I contacted GM myself and over the course of the last week have been working with the dealer and trying to talk to someone at GM who could help. Finally I reached a “senior analyst” who is apparently the top tier of customer assistance and she told me there was absolutely nothing they can do and I am responsible for the entire bill. I insisted that GM must know about the issues this engine has By now and should acknowledge and help their clients, but she offered no help.

How can I trust this engine again? I have read many posts people have put on this forum alone with this issue of failing lifters. How can anyone be expected to pay this much for an issue that is derived likely from GMs design of the afm system? Especially after we pay $50,000+ for the truck to begin with! I do not pretend to be an Mechanical or financial expert,  but I feel I have been severely wronged in this situation. I have no choice but to eat this cost and sell the truck before the lifters have a chance to fail again.

I would suggest anyone doing research considering buying one of these trucks (I believe Sierra and Silverado 14-18 at least) that has the active fuel management system to rethink it. I would also go out on a limb and suggest my friends with 14-15 year Silverado and Sierras (with expired powertrain warranty’s) to consider selling them before the lifters fail on yours and you are stuck with a $3000-$5000 bill. Good luck all. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, newdude said:

$200 and grab a Range AFM disabler.  No more active AFM.  

I actually have one. The red glow to match the red stitched leather interior. Apparently keeping the truck in 8cyl wasn’t enough to save my lifters.

• Sad 1

This is the reason I always recommend installing an aftermarket cam and lifters as its the same cost to have gm "fix" the defective parts. It's just a waiting game with factory parts...

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Same here I had one stick at 125k miles.  So it tore it down a installed TSP cam and LS7 lifters with DOD delete kit.

AMF Dis-abler won't save you.  I had all my AMF turned off and I still hurt a lifter.  I have HP tuner so I turned it off my self several thousand miles before it happen.  If the lifter wants to go it goes,  You have to swap them out to not worry about it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JONBLARC7 said:

Same here I had one stick at 125k miles.  So it tore it down a installed TSP cam and LS7 lifters with DOD delete kit.

AMF Dis-abler won't save you.  I had all my AMF turned off and I still hurt a lifter.  I have HP tuner so I turned it off my self several thousand miles before it happen.  If the lifter wants to go it goes,  You have to swap them out to not worry about it. 

Oh yeah I had that afm/dod delete Kit with the oil blockers, new trays, new head gasket with new head bolts, cam, ls7 lifters and a tune to turn the afm off. Spent about 900$ on parts and 600$ labor with Fluids. 140/150 for a tune

Edited by Frankielozano214
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, EDeller said:

On Sunday March 8th I was driving my Sierra home from my parents-in law. I pulled out from a stop sign and was just getting up to speed when there was a loud bang followed by loss of power, Loud ticking noise,  vibrations and a sulfur smell coming from the exhaust. I knew this was lifters instantly as it Happened to me in August of 2018, a short 11,000 miles ago. So, I took it in to my dealer who ran diagnostics and gave me the news That I would need lifters replaced yet again. Unfortunately, my power train warranty ran out December of 2019, so they told me I would owe a balance of $2900+ tax. Of course I was very upset with this news as I would have imagined the dealer would talk to GM and get this issue sorted out.. I mean it was only a few months over a year and less than 11,000 miles since they replacedall of the lifters and the cam shaft. I contacted GM myself and over the course of the last week have been working with the dealer and trying to talk to someone at GM who could help. Finally I reached a “senior analyst” who is apparently the top tier of customer assistance and she told me there was absolutely nothing they can do and I am responsible for the entire bill. I insisted that GM must know about the issues this engine has By now and should acknowledge and help their clients, but she offered no help.

How can I trust this engine again? I have read many posts people have put on this forum alone with this issue of failing lifters. How can anyone be expected to pay this much for an issue that is derived likely from GMs design of the afm system? Especially after we pay $50,000+ for the truck to begin with! I do not pretend to be an Mechanical or financial expert,  but I feel I have been severely wronged in this situation. I have no choice but to eat this cost and sell the truck before the lifters have a chance to fail again.

I would suggest anyone doing research considering buying one of these trucks (I believe Sierra and Silverado 14-18 at least) that has the active fuel management system to rethink it. I would also go out on a limb and suggest my friends with 14-15 year Silverado and Sierras (with expired powertrain warranty’s) to consider selling them before the lifters fail on yours and you are stuck with a $3000-$5000 bill. Good luck all. 

Stuff happens, it is a mechanical part, rogue failures occur. Maybe you needed to spend more than $50,000 to not have an issue since what you pay determines your level of satisfaction and lack of repairs/issues? By your last comment are you saying all trucks are going to have this happen and everyone with a 14-18 truck should sell or plan for this to happen sooner rather than later? That is much different than the decimal percent that actually have this failure. Think of the millions of engines that have been produced with this tech, then think of the past 15 years with them and how few of failures there have been. It is quite uncommon. Sucks it happened to you, could have very easily been an error on the install or contamination. You have had some of the worst luck, but you are also in a very very small minority here. 

I would open a case with GM and reach out to customer care, they should be willing to help. The dealer you bought the $50k truck from should have some say as well considering it happened twice. My dad just had GM replace the steering rack on his Canyon out of warranty for less than half the original quoted price.

Tyler

I have the Diablo Tuner had AFM disabled and took out 4 of my lifters. Dealer replaced under warranty. I’m in the same boat as you considering selling prior to it happening again. To anyone who has done the delete kit would it throw a CEL for any reason? 

13 minutes ago, Sean D said:

I have the Diablo Tuner had AFM disabled and took out 4 of my lifters. Dealer replaced under warranty. I’m in the same boat as you considering selling prior to it happening again. To anyone who has done the delete kit would it throw a CEL for any reason? 

I haven’t had a CEL since I did the Afm/dod delete/cam swap, been close to 20,000miles since I’ve done it. 

On 3/22/2020 at 10:32 AM, Frankielozano214 said:

I haven’t had a CEL since I did the Afm/dod delete/cam swap, been close to 20,000miles since I’ve done it. 

I know there are variables but ball park how much does that cost to do the delete cam swap?

Parts were about 820$ (I ordered my self from Brian Tooley Racing) 

Labor Was 500$ found a guy locally that use to work at Chevy dealer 

Oil and antifreeze another 100$ 

Tune was 140$ (not the most expensive or best but decent that I haven’t had to get it retuned)

1 hour ago, Sean D said:

I know there are variables but ball park how much does that cost to do the delete cam swap?

CAC09214-4ACE-43FE-8859-01524264B4E2.jpeg

A8507B0F-F47F-4F7C-BCA7-B679189E0255.jpeg

3C318C75-ACAB-4FEE-B264-350993AEF633.jpeg

355F9E80-59DF-4B0E-A12F-850D5E362F18.jpeg

5F58020A-9211-44FF-BA3B-ABCD704532EB.jpeg

0A92FE9E-01E2-422A-9A37-F74109A698A9.jpeg

685BC484-1484-4A01-87BA-E1F1AF824CC4.png

12 minutes ago, ze3bar said:

I live in Alberta Canada, I was told the delete would cost 1800 for parts by my tune guy lol you guys are paying 900 American?

I paid alil less then 900$ for parts, 100$ for fluids, 500$ for labor and 140$ for tune 

labor was cheap because the dude had just quit working at Young Chevrolet Dealership, everywhere else they wanted 2500$-4000$ For parts and labor together plus 500$ for the tune on top of that 

• Thanks 1