2500 crew 4x4, 6.0, 35” Tires what is normal MPG?

Posted in another area but was recommended I post here as well.  I didn’t see an option for a 2014 2500 which is why I did not originally :) But most there are 5.3.

Chevy 2014 2500 Crew 4x4 has a 6” lift with 35” tires, Mickey Thompson AT if that matters enough to mention. 4.10.  I also carry 2500 pounds of weight on a daily basis. The topper is  8 inches taller than the cab but this was calculated before I installed it. Funny thing is I haven’t noticed much difference even though it’s creating some wind resistance...

I’m getting a horrible 8 mpg. Now a 2500 isn’t best in the world to begin with, loaded down with a commercial topper and constant weight was getting 11-12 city with a heavy foot. Trailer 10. And always had 1 to 2 sizes up in tires. 265 was 275 or 285. 275 was always a nice median. But 8 is just crazy land!!! 

But this is the first time I’ve ever driven a lifted truck with big tires. So first, is this normal? And if it is, is it even worth my time / cost to go down to 34’s?  I wouldn’t think so but I also remember going from 285 to 275 and there was a huge difference across the board.

Normally I wouldn’t care but I happen to be taking off on a 2 year road trip cross country and I can already feel my budget shrinking

In terms of mpgs yes. Otherwise you still have a bada$$ truck! In your future trucks look for one with a 6.2L. Those due to the engine build and drive train combo get the best mpg when it comes to our trucks. I get 14 maybe 16.5 with a level, 20x10s and all- terrain 34s. My neighbor with a Denali lifted 6 inches, 35 muds and drives like a batt... 14.5ish, so no brainer there. I do believe guys on here with the 20+ mpgs...

19 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

In terms of mpgs yes. Otherwise you still have a bada$$ truck! In your future trucks look for one with a 6.2L. Those due to the engine build and drive train combo get the best mpg when it comes to our trucks. I get 14 maybe 16.5 with a level, 20x10s and all- terrain 34s. My neighbor with a Denali lifted 6 inches, 35 muds and drives like a batt... 14.5ish, so no brainer there. I do believe guys on here with the 20+ mpgs...

Is it a 2500????  Because that is just mind-boggling mileage with 35 mudders!!!!  You all have a 5.3 or the 6.2??? That SHOCKS me! 

How much do you think I will gain if I cut the cat out?

Cutting cat= 0 mpg gain. Idc what anyone says. Tuining will be your best bet for a better gain.
I have the 5.3 he has the 6.2 1500. Idk what you use your truck for but the 6.0 came off the lot with like 13-14 mpgs iirc. I could be wrong, but that bad mpg rate was why I didnt get one myself. I really was all for the hd mainly the hd suspension as I wanted to throw 22x12s and 38s

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Well that makes me feel MUCH better because yes, the 1500’s will do much better on gas then the 2500’s. They suck from the get go. As I say, mine have always gotten about 11-12 fully loaded with commercial topper and tons of tools, about 2500 pounds daily.  Towing a trailer 10.

But again, largest tires I have ever run was 285 from 265, so I have zero experience with these concrete blocks!!!  Still I would have guessed around 10 miles per gallon based on my experience and I have one hell of a lot of it.

I own a plumbing company and used 2500 crew cab 4 x 4’s exclusively for 12 years up until now, but about 3 years ago I started mixing in and buying 1500’s with a 6 banger.  

My gas bill went down dramatically.  But the 1500s are CRAP compared to the 2500. The 2500 will simply last forever and they are bulletproof. Use them and abuse them and you can do no harm to them.

The 1500 as soon as it hits 100k miles the problems start pouring in from the wear and tear of those miles, trannys go out, brakes are all shot, suspensions give out.

The 2500’s drive the exact same as the day you drove it off the lot. Yeah, It’s not even a close race... LMAO!!!

As for other plumbers that make fun of me for buying the 2500 4 x 4 Crew wondering WHY i use those beasts for plumbing repairs, it’s an easy answer.

RESALE!!!! The 1500 resale? CRAP. Nothing. Nada.

The 2500’s I can sell with 120k miles anywhere from $20,000 to $24,000!!! Hell I only pay $35,000 NEW. 

To me??? That’s a FREE TRUCK for 4 years :)

Edited by Plumber101010
  • Like 1

I think you found the pipe dream. You either haul like a 2500, spend $$ on a diesel, or get MPG in a 1500.

I'll open a can here - but the MPG difference in my opinion doesn't equate to the cost for a diesel. Love diesels, but I'll stick to my gasser unless I get a huge 5th wheel.

I miss the MPG's I got in my 1500, but I'll never go back when it comes to towing/hauling.

• Like 1

Get a diesel. I've had several 1500's with both 5.3 and 6.2.

Both got the same mileage. Then I got a crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel l5p.

Gas.                                             Diesel

Stock and empty 23mpg.         22 mpg

Loaded with 33's 20mpg.         22 mpg

Towing mower 15mpg.             18 mpg

Towing my camper 4mpg.        11 mpg

Guys who are deleting the diesels are seeing upwards of 25% increase in mpg. This last year I've saved $1540 in fuel and maintenance by switching to a diesel. Resale more than makes up for the added sticker price. If all you do is commute then gassers are great. If you use the truck like a truck, the new diesels are soo great that it's just stupid not to get one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, i82much said:

did u calibrate for 35’s?

I had a 2015 Duramax crew diesel but it got totaled right after I had completed every possible thing you can think of as my dream truck!  Going a different route this time!

But honestly Cooley,  that kind of advice isn’t really practical do you think? Let me go out and buy a $65,000 diesel to get better gas mileage than the truck I own now? LOL!!!! 

I have another thread I started called what can you tell me about this truck that shows pictures but since then I have found out a lot more information about it.

But yes the company that did the update before the truck was sold new calibrated it.  He also says that mileage sounds typical...

The whole thing is driving me crazy because I just can’t imagine that kind of crappy mileage with 4.10 rear. 

Maybe a tune is the way to go I don’t know. My life has been so chaotic I just haven’t had enough time to sit down and really look at this truck, crawl underneath to see what was done, blah blah.

Edited by Plumber101010
  • Like 1

My diesel was $50,000 new. My gas was $58,000 but it was a denali. I'm happier with my diesel WT than I was with the Denali, but I could care less about heated vibrating seats and all that other crap. The diesel is an extra $9,000. Over 5 years I save $7700. At the end of that 5 years I'll get between $10,000 and $15,000 extra at least in resale. The worst that will happen to a diesel owner after 5 years is that they break even. If you've taken care of the truck then you will make money vs a gas. This is the case unless you want to keep you truck. Then the savings are bigger and you can keep your truck longer because diesels last alot longer. Just offering up a solution as you dont have a solution for your current situation. Those 6.0 gassers are great but are horrible on gas and you cannot make them better. Just because of your fuel costs, going diesel you would break even financially after 2 years, much less with the miles you are putting on it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're after highway mileage - don't lift it, don't put big tires on it, don't use tires with a blocky tread.  

Yes, doesn't look as cool.

Yes, won't off-road as well - (but in fairness if a little common sense is used they will, even in stock form, do a lot better off-road than many are willing to admit) 

Accelerate gently, pay attention to slower traffic and get off it sooner instead of waiting til the last second and jumping on the brakes. (after all, you gotta wait for the traffic to clear anyway...)

Same things will apply to a diesel. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, redwngr said:

If you're after highway mileage - don't lift it, don't put big tires on it, don't use tires with a blocky tread.  

Yes, doesn't look as cool.

Yes, won't off-road as well - (but in fairness if a little common sense is used they will, even in stock form, do a lot better off-road than many are willing to admit) 

Accelerate gently, pay attention to slower traffic and get off it sooner instead of waiting til the last second and jumping on the brakes. (after all, you gotta wait for the traffic to clear anyway...)

Same things will apply to a diesel. 

You are misunderstanding the question. I’m not after good mileage, if I was I wouldn’t have bought a lifted truck.

I think anybody knows that lifts and big tires will decrease gas mileage that goes without having to say.

Do you really think anybody lifts a truck and puts 35 inch tires on it because they are in search of good gas mileage or surprised when it goes down?

Nobody but nobody does that kind of work on a truck and invests that kind of money while simultaneously caring at all about gas mileage!

I’m not trying to get good mileage and the trade-off for worse mileage is MORE than worth it for anyone who wants to go off-roading!!!

I'm trying to ascertain if the mileage I am getting is normal or abnormal, compared to other lifted trucks with big tires, NOT compared to normal trucks.

Edited by Plumber101010