Anyone else regret buying a Chevy?

I’m retired and don’t need to daily a truck anymore. I do like to have one around. My last new one was my 14 GMC. At the same time I had my 92. A highly modified truck that just required maintenance for 10 years. I kept that one. I recently found a cherry 02 Avalanche and scooped it up. Probably my last one. I’m extremely happy I don’t have buy a new truck anymore.

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I’m retired and don’t need to daily a truck anymore. I do like to have one around. My last new one was my 14 GMC. At the same time I had my 92. A highly modified truck that just required maintenance for 10 years. I kept that one. I recently found a cherry 02 Avalanche and scooped it up. Probably my last one. I’m extremely happy I don’t have buy a new truck anymore.

4BFF934D-181E-4ED3-9DD5-32DE70504D8C.thumb.jpeg.e6be0e50f0c0b4005b94af1f24514b03.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mikedfw said:

Ford and ram will be similar, toyota not so much, there is no comparison on reliable with toyota, but they are so outdated, that is the trade off. 

I'm kind of in the same boat, but not as bad as the OP.  Mine is in the shop right now to have the safety tech fixed from the previous recall, also having the new recall done.  Evidently it had previously had the bcm code, so that is not reassuring. 

I haven't had most of the major issues, outside of the safety tech and parking sensors not working or going haywire, but I have had numerous issues with the infotainment system and tons of recalls forna vehicle I have had less than 3 months. 

I love the truck and am sure I will be fine with it after I get it back, just not a good new car experience in the least. 

Outdated in terms of what?  I mean the biggest most comfortable seats, the right size touch screens with big noobs, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise etc, first company to use the biggest 4 piston calipers on the 1500s. No problems with electronics engine or transmission.  I can go on.  But, Ive worked for Toyota, Ram Ford and now GM, drive a Gm, I went from a 2014 due to problems to a 2008 and the next one will be a 71 built from the ground up.  But, for everyday driving the everyday man the Toyota is by far the best. 

7 hours ago, mafd2 said:

Yea right ?  Have you been reading the Sierra issues???  Did you happen to know the Silverados and Sierras are rolling off the same assembly line at the Ft. Wayne plant?  Complaint I have with the Sierra is the horrible SIM card looking fender wells and the hideous clown grille ??

3_Screenshot_2019-07-16-16-42-10-1.png.6769ef422a958500f9eac80335824452.png

5d2e49fb2c4a1_2_Screenshot_2019-07-16-15-54-03-12.thumb.png.ed2c5bc26a57979a82bf652292d33fbb.png

1_Screenshot_2019-07-16-16-40-07-1.png.6ccc28b719a459d5a961e76c3df330fc.png

0_Screenshot_2019-07-16-15-57-10-1.thumb.png.1e05b152eac5d5ff145556e0990814ee.png

That’s hilarious. Just what mine looks like.

• Haha 1

2019 RST 4x4 5.3L 8 speed bought in august, 8100 miles....be super solid so far, a lady took out my mirror but she paid to fix it and took care of 2 recalls at same time.....runs smooth, no regrets and no problems so far....

my last 2 trucks were Toyota tundras….reliable but boring, I still drive last one from time to time....gives me fresh perspective of my Silverado, and I don't care bout bumps, loads of concrete, block, and my guys not caring same as I do when their loading it.....my Silverado is still in newborn phase, make everyone check their pockets and dust off their clothes b4 entrada for lunch

I told them if I catch anyone loading anything from side of truck, it will cost em $40 no ifs, ands or butts....I don't even care if you didn't scrape it point is one day they will.....everything through the back. lol

Edited by Dunn

2018 SLT 4x4 Z71 built in 2019... So far solid. great mpg for a small V8 and happy with interior and Bose system. Coming from F150, which if you get a good one is better.. but if you have a turbo with issues like i had.. watch out! 30 days a year in the shop.  Notice on the driveway... oil leaks from Ford are pressured washed... 

GMC2018little.jpg

Edited by PPK

2 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

Outdated in terms of what?  I mean the biggest most comfortable seats, the right size touch screens with big noobs, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise etc, first company to use the biggest 4 piston calipers on the 1500s. No problems with electronics engine or transmission.  I can go on.  But, Ive worked for Toyota, Ram Ford and now GM, drive a Gm, I went from a 2014 due to problems to a 2008 and the next one will be a 71 built from the ground up.  But, for everyday driving the everyday man the Toyota is by far the best. 

Outdated in terms of design, safety (strength of the frame etc, horrible crash tests), horrible mpg even for a truck. They have everything there, it just feels old dated.  I agree they are by far the most reliable, but they need to do some updates desperately. 

20 hours ago, mafd2 said:

Yea right ?  Have you been reading the Sierra issues???  Did you happen to know the Silverados and Sierras are rolling off the same assembly line at the Ft. Wayne plant?  Complaint I have with the Sierra is the horrible SIM card looking fender wells and the hideous clown grille ??

3_Screenshot_2019-07-16-16-42-10-1.png.6769ef422a958500f9eac80335824452.png

5d2e49fb2c4a1_2_Screenshot_2019-07-16-15-54-03-12.thumb.png.ed2c5bc26a57979a82bf652292d33fbb.png

1_Screenshot_2019-07-16-16-40-07-1.png.6ccc28b719a459d5a961e76c3df330fc.png

0_Screenshot_2019-07-16-15-57-10-1.thumb.png.1e05b152eac5d5ff145556e0990814ee.png

Rather weak argument, lemme guess you saw this on facebook?

• Haha 1

We have three post bail out GM vehicles. Dozens before. A clean low mile pre 2008 on a lot will stop me dead in my tracks every time. I should start collecting them. :) 

Reliability is NEVER out dated. 

Truth is, to date, we haven't had much trouble with these three but the trouble we have had is inexcusable. Solenoids, actuators, seals. Everything is put together with 'Christmas trees and black tape' that fail at the drop O' the hat. Thousand dollar parts with five cent fasteners. Wash it and walk around it pushing all the panels back on.

:crackup:

Pre-2008 cars and truck had solenoids, actuators etc. an they stayed together.  I've had more of this nit picky crap happen in the last five years than in the previous FIFTY. :wtf: 

Got mine back from the shop. The safety tech is working again. Found out there had been an error code about the bcm that I didnt know about, never gave me a visual error on the gauges or anything, but they said everything should be taken care of now. 

Am still having issues with the infotainment, but they are intermittent so probably just going to have to live with them. Hoping all the brake and safety stuff is really fixed now, so far so good.  

21 hours ago, Mikedfw said:

Outdated in terms of design, safety (strength of the frame etc, horrible crash tests), horrible mpg even for a truck. They have everything there, it just feels old dated.  I agree they are by far the most reliable, but they need to do some updates desperately. 

21 hours ago, Mikedfw said:

Did you look at the crash test results? different versions  of trucks perform differently overall the Tundra did well . Design applies differently to ones taste, I think the silverado HD look outdated and are ugly etc.   AS for MPG its inline with all others when towing, HWY unloaded others are much better. 

2 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Did you look at the crash test results? different versions  of trucks perform differently overall the Tundra did well . Design applies differently to ones taste, I think the silverado HD look outdated and are ugly etc.   AS for MPG its inline with all others when towing, HWY unloaded others are much better. 

The small frontal overlap crash test for the tundra was bad, on the passenger side was horrible, completely collapsed into the occupants leg compartment. The ram and ford are by the far the best in crash tests, gm/chevy aren't as good as those, and toyota was pretty abysmal, but that is because it is a design that came out in 2007, it is on par with vehicles from that time, not from now. 

I get about 17-18 combined non towing on my 6.2, a tundra would be around 13-14. I would think towing numbers would be more important for a super duty or heavy duty truck, most people with light duty dont tow or do so intermittently.  For me it's a non factor, I use my truck bed, but dont really tow anything. 

24 minutes ago, Mikedfw said:

The small frontal overlap crash test for the tundra was bad, on the passenger side was horrible, completely collapsed into the occupants leg compartment. The ram and ford are by the far the best in crash tests, gm/chevy aren't as good as those, and toyota was pretty abysmal, but that is because it is a design that came out in 2007, it is on par with vehicles from that time, not from now. 

I get about 17-18 combined non towing on my 6.2, a tundra would be around 13-14. I would think towing numbers would be more important for a super duty or heavy duty truck, most people with light duty dont tow or do so intermittently.  For me it's a non factor, I use my truck bed, but dont really tow anything. 

Ok man here compare https://www.iihs.org/ratings/class-summary/large-pickups to extended cab to GM and dont guess on MPG, my 6.2 MAX gets 14, its getting ridiculous when you start saying towing numbers are more important for a SUPER DUTY lol, Im gonna stop now because you dont know what you are talking about alot of us TOW, its not about what you do. 

My GMC is 9 months old and was 9 times to the dealer and independents for vibration in idle. GM dealers say vibration is "within spec" we measure with pico, what you feel or independent tech are diagnosing is not important. I even did pay $1080 for my mount replacement TSB with my own money. I regret not buying Toyota immensely but depreciation on GM trucks is so high I have to run it now. In 9 months truck lost $11K in value. 

3 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

Ok man here compare https://www.iihs.org/ratings/class-summary/large-pickups to extended cab to GM and dont guess on MPG, my 6.2 MAX gets 14, its getting ridiculous when you start saying towing numbers are more important for a SUPER DUTY lol, Im gonna stop now because you dont know what you are talking about alot of us TOW, its not about what you 

The tundra extended cab didnt even have all the same tests done, the crew cab fared much worse in the ratings I mentioned.  The small frontal overlap tests represent very common types of collisions and are where the toyota really struggles. Your link literally just confirmed what I said.

As for towing, yes people with light duty trucks do tow, but in general, people that are towing all the time buy heavier duty trucks, I'm not saying the mpg isn't important, but less important for this class of truck, which in general is used as often or more often without towing than a heavier duty truck.

My buddy traded his tundra in for a diesel because without towing, he was getting roughly 13 mpg combined. Can you get better? Sure, but it is a very inefficient (by current standards) engine.  And like I said on my 6.2 i get about 17-18, I'm relatively happy with that because I have a heavy foot.