Should I get the big bad 6.2

I'm all for the 6.2, but after driving a new style truck with a 5.3 8 speed for a bit, it is a lot more peppy than the old body style 5.3, and with just a short drive with a new body style 6.2, it didn't seem any quicker, if maybe a bit slower than an old body style 6.2.  I'd still get a 6.2 though.  

I’ve test driven both in top models and the 6.2 is DEFINITELY much more faster. The 5.3 and the 6.2 both are carried over from the previous K2’s. If anything, the new may be lighter but only in the top models as they get the lighter beds. I’ve currently got an 18 SLT 6.2 CC that will BLOW the doors off of a 5.3 and I’m lifted [emoji6]. Both engines are excellent choices as they’ve both been around for a very long time, seems they’ve been upgraded every model though. If you’re not expecting to lift and add heavy tires then the 5.3 is an excellent choice, towing and or lifting them the 6.2 will be a much better choice. People tend to do whatever they want to do anyway and either complain or make stuff up so that said, to each their own but I’d recommend buying what works for you, you’ll get more bang for your buck with either.

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I’ve test driven both in top models and the 6.2 is DEFINITELY much more faster. The 5.3 and the 6.2 both are carried over from the previous K2’s. If anything, the new may be lighter but only in the top models as they get the lighter beds. I’ve currently got an 18 SLT 6.2 CC that will BLOW the doors off of a 5.3 and I’m lifted emoji6.png. Both engines are excellent choices as they’ve both been around for a very long time, seems they’ve been upgraded every model though. If you’re not expecting to lift and add heavy tires then the 5.3 is an excellent choice, towing and or lifting them the 6.2 will be a much better choice. People tend to do whatever they want to do anyway and either complain or make stuff up so that said, to each their own but I’d recommend buying what works for you, you’ll get more bang for your buck with either.

Sent from Above

I'm just sayin that a new body style with a  6.2 doesn't seem to be as proportionately quicker as the new body style 5.3.  

• Like 1

Owned a 6.2 and a 5.3 in back to back years.

6.2 sounds throatier/better when it starts. (at least to my ear, and it may not be the same with the 2019/20 generation motors)

I got essentially the same mileage doing the same job with them.

Of course this means the cost-per-mile higher on the 6.2 (and the OP indicated and economy car type driver). 

'Here' high test is significantly higher cost than regular. 

That said, I almost never used full throttle on either - even when towing.  Other than bragging rights, there was no benefit to me for the extra power. 

I'm considering a 1500 with the 3.0.

6.2 torque (but from lower rpm),  best fuel economy of them all, always comes with the 10 speed..

'Here' diesel is a little more than regular (usually, sometimes it is less than regular) but quite a bit less than premium (always). 

As others pointed out, get whichever one makes you smile.

Choice is wonder. If there was a clear choice -- they wouldn't be offering so many engine and transmission options.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Btw, I’d like to own a factory lifted Trail Boss Flex fuel 5.3, skies the limit there. Wouldn’t need to lift and it’s already for trails [emoji6]

Flex fuel gives you the option for E85, regular, plus and super!

Sent from Above

2 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Btw, I’d like to own a factory lifted Trail Boss Flex fuel 5.3, skies the limit there. Wouldn’t need to lift and it’s already for trails emoji6.png

Flex fuel gives you the option for E85, regular, plus and super!

Sent from Above

I've never understood why they went away from flex-fuel availability.

(except as an option on the AFM (L82) engine that is still the used on the base trims trucks.

I'm just sayin that a new body style with a  6.2 doesn't seem to be as proportionately quicker as the new body style 5.3.  

May have had something to do with the transmission, but it is.

Sent from Above

I've never understood why they went away from flex-fuel availability.

(except as an option on the AFM (L82) engine that is still the used on the base trims trucks.

Agreed, I put in 7 gallons of E85 then top off with Super. It seems much more responsive and tail pipe isn’t as black. Some prefer the smell of Lays potato chips lol

Sent from Above
  • Haha 1

There is a huge performance difference between the 2014-2018 5.3 and the 2019+ 5.3. Weight reduction and tuning some of the lazy throttle response out of it makes a big impact. I felt it right away.

All numbers from Car & Driver

2014 5.3 6 speed: 0-60 6.7s

2016 5.3 8 speed: 0-60 7.2s

2019 5.3 8 speed: 0-60 6.1s

6.2 difference is not as big over the years, and between 3 different transmissions:

2014 6.2 6 speed: 0-60 5.4s

2015 6.2 8 speed: 0-60 5.7s
2019 6.2 10 speed: 0-60 5.4s

Curious to see what kind of numbers the 5.3 / 10 speed manages but I haven’t seen any magazine tests of it yet.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, It's Tim said:

Buy either one you like but pay cash, silly to take on a second job working for a bank for a vehicle, plus you'll sleep like a baby at night knowing full well it's yours.

Most definitely paying cash. This is my mid life crisis I’ve got to spend it before I die I don’t give a dam what anybody thinks vehicle. 

• Like 2

I bought my 5.3L RST one year ago when the 6.2L wasn’t available. 

If it had been available when I bought it, it would have been a really tough choice. I had a final sales price in mind for any truck I bought, so I might have opted to keep the 5.3L and get $2500 higher in trim. (Eg the LTZ with tech package). 

I will say that my 5.3L / 8 speed feels very fast. I know the 6.2Ls are quicker, but I’ve never yet been disappointed standing on the gas with my 5.3L. 

Lastly, I would not have been able to do the $20 exhaust hack if I bought the 6.2L. I really enjoy the extra little bit of noise that simple hack has given my 5.3L, and it makes it feel more sporty to drive. 

5 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Lastly, I would not have been able to do the $20 exhaust hack if I bought the 6.2L. I really enjoy the extra little bit of noise that simple hack has given my 5.3L, and it makes it feel more sporty to drive. 

What's this exhaust hack you speak of that only the 5.3 can get?