Should I get the big bad 6.2

I think the 6.2 is the best bang for your buck option available. The cool thing about the new trucks is the multiple trims and options. I hear time and time again on this forum that for a daily driver the 6.2 is not needed. To me it's not as much a need as it's the most performance available. The mpg between the 5.3 and 6.2 is almost identical and the 2.7 is only slightly more. I seriously doubt if you are already looking at a trim level that offers the 6.2 that you will say " I wish I would have bought the 5.3". But I bet there are plenty of people who would say I wish I would have bought the 6.2. Not knocking the 5.3 I have owned several of them. But personally every one I owned I would have preferred to have more power. This time I purchased the most performance available and have 0 regrets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chevyguy273 said:

With all that I have written so far. Am I crazy for wanting to buy the 6.2 because it’s more powerful and you get the 10 speed automatic with it? Or should I just get a 5.3 LTZ? 

Buy either one you like but pay cash, silly to take on a second job working for a bank for a vehicle, plus you'll sleep like a baby at night knowing full well it's yours.

The pay cash crowd for a new vehicle is amusing to me. When the day comes it cost me more use someone else’s money I’ll consider it. I make more with investment than the 0-2 percent it cost for a vehicle loan.

• Like 4

I do tow a really heavy trailer and have had three 6.2 powered Silverados all optioned pretty much the same. Crew cab LTZs with the 6.2 and max trailering package.  The 14 was a 6 speed and 3.73 gear the 17 was a 8 speed and 3.42 gear and the 20 is a 10 speed 3.42 gear. The 17 did get better mileage and was quicker with the 8 speed than the 14 but it did have the quirky shifting sometimes not enough to do anything about just mildly annoying. I have only had my 20 for 2 days but so far it seems to shift much smoother and has about the same power as the 17. That said I drove my brothers 19 LD double cab with a 5.3 and thought what a turd. Its about the same when I drive the wife's 5.3 18 Tahoe as it too seems under powered. She says the opposite that when she drives the truck it feels like a race car. I enjoy having the extra power do I absolutely need it??? Only occasionally when I am towing. Other than the initial cost and the premium fuel there really isn't a downside. I would recommend it as the 6.2 is way more fun to drive. 

Buy either one you like but pay cash, silly to take on a second job working for a bank for a vehicle, plus you'll sleep like a baby at night knowing full well it's yours.

Low interest and zero percent Financing is available too. For whatever reason, in the real world, most people can’t put aside that much due to whatever comes up in the family life. I write off, so can most. Zero % or very low % rates are very doable for just about anyone.

Sent from Above

7 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Zero % or very low % rates are very doable for just about anyone.

That's a very cleverly designed trap. What happens when they lose their job and they have $300.00 in checking?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

49% Of Americans Expect To Live Paycheck To Paycheck This Year

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2020/02/19/financial-survey-debt-loans-credit/#1ca13a91578c

• Thanks 1

That's a very cleverly designed trap. What happens when they lose their job and they have $300.00 in checking?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

49% Of Americans Expect To Live Paycheck To Paycheck This Year

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2020/02/19/financial-survey-debt-loans-credit/#1ca13a91578c

Well then, you just can’t fix stupid. Don’t buy beyond your means.

Sent from Above
  • Like 4

I'm all for the 6.2, but after driving a new style truck with a 5.3 8 speed for a bit, it is a lot more peppy than the old body style 5.3, and with just a short drive with a new body style 6.2, it didn't seem any quicker, if maybe a bit slower than an old body style 6.2.  I'd still get a 6.2 though.