Should I get the big bad 6.2

Good morning. Soon to be new Silverado owner here. I need some opinions please. I’m a compact car driving kind of guy. I haven’t owned anything remotely close in size to the new Silverado in the last 20 years. But. I took one for a several hour road test by myself on suggesting by the sales guy. And I absolutely fell in love with it. The shear size and driving dynamics will take a bit of getting used to. But. The view and lack of noise in the spacious cabin was stunning. And the power compared to my little Corolla was mind blowing. Here’s where the problem is. I test drove a 5.3 and a 6.2. Both equipped the same. 1500 Crew Cab short box LTZ 4 wheel drive Z-71. Both engines have plenty of power. Especially compared to my current ride. But. I absolutely love the 6.2. I’m leaning towards the big v8. I don’t tow anything that heavy to really need it. I’m fine with paying extra for premium fuel each fill up. I know the 6.2 is overkill for what I will use the truck for. With all that I have written so far. Am I crazy for wanting to buy the 6.2 because it’s more powerful and you get the 10 speed automatic with it? Or should I just get a 5.3 LTZ? 

Edited by Chevyguy273
Bad grammar
  • Haha 1

I own the 6.2L. I have a wake board boat and a 27’ enclosed snowmobile trailer. That was my main reasoning for the 6.2l. Personally speaking if I was using my truck as a daily driver after driving all 4 engine combinations (depending on miles driven) I would choose either the 2.7l HO 4 cyl Turbo or the 3.0l duramax (the duramax wasn’t available when I bought my 6.2)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

For pure enjoyment 10 speed and 6.2. For practical purposes and some enjoyment 10 speed and 5.3. For real practical purposes, 2.7 Turbo with 8 speed [do not know if the 10 speed is available]. Stay away from the 8 speed.

6.2 no question. I have owned both many times. I am a car/truck nut and trade often. 5.3 is fine and not slow but for a couple grand the 6.2 is well worth it. I do not tow heavy but entrance ramps are so much more fun with the 6.2! Also just around town the extra tq is really nice getting in traffic. To me it is hands down the 6.2. It is better to have the hp/tq and not always need/use it vs falling short down the road. If you buy the 5.3 and regret it it will cost you a lot more than just biting the bullet and getting the 6.2 to begin with. 

• Thanks 2

Welcome to this forum! Your question is one that you'll have to answer for yourself.  This is a case of what you want.  I agree about the appeal of the size, quiet and comfort of a truck when compared to a compact Toyota.  I'm not clear on the "mind blowing power" difference between the two.  There is no comparison in power between a truck and a compact when doing heavy stuff but as a daily driver the power and nimbleness of your Toyota will get you from point A to B just as quick.  (if not quicker)  IMO, the 2.7 is a far better choice than the 5.3 or 6.2 especially when using your truck as a daily driver.  You will find that your peers will support whatever decision you will make!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Through my working life I drove diesels the most a couple of V-10s. When I shifted my role to sales and training I went to 1/2 tons. My mileage was around 50-60K a year. I usually bought package leftover trucks. When buying GMs I found they would leave their big engine to up models and usually offering no deals. Buying Texas Edition SLEs trucks offered no 6.2. To get a 6.2 would have cost me up to 15K more, no thanks. That was up to my last 14 model. I hope they’d changed that. Otherwise I’d go with the big engine for a few dollars more.

• Like 1

6.2 hands down.  I've owned mine for 3 weeks.

I had a 03 Chevy, 09 Chevy, 13 Tundra and a 16 Ram Rebel.  The 6.2 is more powerful than any of them (which it should be) but it is very noticeable.

My best 25 mile MPG is 20.2 and my best 50 is 17ish (I can't remember the exact number).  I am in maine, 850 miles on the engine, cold, idling at time, winter fuel.  So I expect it to get better this spring.  If it wasn't a TB (2 inch lift, duratracs, lack of a large air damn on the front chin) it would be even better.

10 speed is smooth and always feels like it is in the right gear.

Diesel for me was not an option as I didn't want to pay the extra for diesel fuel, def, maint etc. and in some of the areas I go diesel is not available (my camp).  I wasn't interested in the 4 cyl turbo as I would prefer it to be proven for a couple years.  I drove the 5.3 w/ 8 sp in a 19 TB and was surprised at how powerful it did feel.  The 5.3 would be fine for me but I would always be wondering "what if"....

• Thanks 1