Should I get the big bad 6.2

10 hours ago, redwngr said:

Owned a 6.2 and a 5.3 in back to back years.

6.2 sounds throatier/better when it starts. (at least to my ear, and it may not be the same with the 2019/20 generation motors)

I got essentially the same mileage doing the same job with them.

Of course this means the cost-per-mile higher on the 6.2 (and the OP indicated and economy car type driver). 

'Here' high test is significantly higher cost than regular. 

That said, I almost never used full throttle on either - even when towing.  Other than bragging rights, there was no benefit to me for the extra power. 

I'm considering a 1500 with the 3.0.

6.2 torque (but from lower rpm),  best fuel economy of them all, always comes with the 10 speed..

'Here' diesel is a little more than regular (usually, sometimes it is less than regular) but quite a bit less than premium (always). 

As others pointed out, get whichever one makes you smile.

Choice is wonder. If there was a clear choice -- they wouldn't be offering so many engine and transmission options.

Same way I see it!

On 2/20/2020 at 12:52 PM, redwngr said:

That said, I almost never used full throttle on either - even when towing.  Other than bragging rights, there was no benefit to me for the extra power. 

Ego will ignore that simple fact. 

Here's another. That fella in the truck next to you in the Walmart parking lot has no idea what's under your hood and is so not impressed with the fact that you do. 

I have data acquisition on my truck and can tell you that in over 100K miles I've used over 200 hp. fewer times than I have fingers on one hand with several to spare. What I find useful every time I turn the key is the use of small amounts of cheap fuel. 

Hot tip. Buy the 4.3 and Ebay some of those fancy fake chrome plastic 6.2 emblems.

:drool:

No one that matters will ever know the difference. 

Your wallet will.

:thumbs:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Ego will ignore that simple fact. 

Here's another. That fella in the truck next to you in the Walmart parking lot has no idea what's under your hood and is so not impressed with the fact that you do. 

I have data acquisition on my truck and can tell you that in over 100K miles I've used over 200 hp. fewer times than I have fingers on one hand with several to spare. What I find useful every time I turn the key is the use of small amounts of cheap fuel. 

Hot tip. By the 4.3 and Ebay some of those fancy fake chrome plastic 6.2 emblems.

:drool:

No one that matters will ever know the difference. 

Your wallet will.

:thumbs:

He doesn't drive at full throttle because he doesn't have to due to the additional torque of the larger displacement. If you use less than 200hp very rarely you could have easily purchased a Honda ridgeline and it would suit your needs and driving style. That's the beauty of the truck market there are a lot of choices in drivetrain, cab configuration, colors, trim options, wheel sizes and fuel types to fit people's wants and needs. To belittle 6.2 or even 5.3 owners based on your ego statement is a very closed minded opinion. The op was impressed with the power of the truck he test drove so evidently one of his wants/needs is a powerful engine option not the cheapest option available.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Car Dude said:

He doesn't drive at full throttle because he doesn't have to due to the additional torque of the larger displacement. If you use less than 200hp very rarely you could have easily purchased a Honda ridgeline and it would suit your needs and driving style. That's the beauty of the truck market there are a lot of choices in drivetrain, cab configuration, colors, trim options, wheel sizes and fuel types to fit people's wants and needs. To belittle 6.2 or even 5.3 owners based on your ego statement is a very closed minded opinion. The op was impressed with the power of the truck he test drove so evidently one of his wants/needs is a powerful engine option not the cheapest option available.

Try this. ICE's are DEMAND devices. They don't make torque based on size. They make enough torque to overcome the resistance that is applied against them. If you need 5 lb-ft to do a job it doesn't matter if the motor is a Briggs & Stratton or a CAT C175-20. HP on the other hand is how quickly that 5 lb-ft of work gets done. 

If this were not true you could not throttle a motor period. 

But it's okay to belittle a 4.3 or 2.7 Turbo. I see. 

As far as the OP NEEDING the that much power...reread his first post. He states he doesn't need it. Want IS Ego. 

On 2/20/2020 at 6:22 AM, Chevyguy273 said:

Good morning. Soon to be new Silverado owner here. I need some opinions please. I’m a compact car driving kind of guy. I haven’t owned anything remotely close in size to the new Silverado in the last 20 years. But. I took one for a several hour road test by myself on suggesting by the sales guy. And I absolutely fell in love with it. The shear size and driving dynamics will take a bit of getting used to. But. The view and lack of noise in the spacious cabin was stunning. And the power compared to my little Corolla was mind blowing. Here’s where the problem is. I test drove a 5.3 and a 6.2. Both equipped the same. 1500 Crew Cab short box LTZ 4 wheel drive Z-71. Both engines have plenty of power. Especially compared to my current ride. But. I absolutely love the 6.2. I’m leaning towards the big v8. I don’t tow anything that heavy to really need it. I’m fine with paying extra for premium fuel each fill up. I know the 6.2 is overkill for what I will use the truck for. With all that I have written so far. Am I crazy for wanting to buy the 6.2 because it’s more powerful and you get the 10 speed automatic with it? Or should I just get a 5.3 LTZ? 

Go argue with that. 

I can easily argue with that. Half the people on here don't "need" a truck to drive back and forth to work. They "want" to drive a truck as a daily driver. They don't "need" to buy a Silverado they "want" to buy a Silverado. They don't "need" a lift on their truck. They "want" a lift on their truck. Ect, ect, ect. The point is they are making the payments and it puts a smile on their face to pay for what they want. It's not up to someone's option that has different wants and needs to tell them they are dumb for their purchase.

Edited by Car Dude
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had a 2018 double cab, 5.3L and really loved it. It was my first full size truck after a long series of lux sedans. I added an exhaust/intake and a tune and really was quite happy with the performance. But on trips with long uphill inclines the 5.3 could have used a bit more juice. But around town and in 90% of situations it did just fine.

BUT life is short, so I traded in an expensive sports sedan and my 2018 truck and bought the 6.2L in the high country trim...because it’s fun, it’s faster and it laughs at those long hills between NY and OH. It’s got lots of toys, lux and tech stuff to keep me happy. It also sounds great, I’ve added the CAI and will probably do an exhaust this summer. Put some cool looking wheels and tires on it too. I’m having a lot of fun adding mods and reading about all the cool things other guys are doing to theirs. Just a few weeks after that I had the GM 2” lift installed because I liked the way the Trailboss looks.

This isn’t a practical vehicle, I didn’t buy it to be practical. I love the 6.2L, I knew mpg would probably be about 16, but I don’t really care.

Cars and trucks are purely a personal preference, have fun with it. If it’s your mid life crisis vehicle, get whatever lights you up and forget about everything else. You can always trade it when the next shiny object comes along.

I for sure learned after I bought the 18 double cab that I really wanted a crew cab. So after 14 months I traded it!

Re-read your first post, you seemed pretty pumped about that 6.2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2020 at 6:22 AM, Chevyguy273 said:

Good morning. Soon to be new Silverado owner here. I need some opinions please. I’m a compact car driving kind of guy. I haven’t owned anything remotely close in size to the new Silverado in the last 20 years. But. I took one for a several hour road test by myself on suggesting by the sales guy. And I absolutely fell in love with it. The shear size and driving dynamics will take a bit of getting used to. But. The view and lack of noise in the spacious cabin was stunning. And the power compared to my little Corolla was mind blowing. Here’s where the problem is. I test drove a 5.3 and a 6.2. Both equipped the same. 1500 Crew Cab short box LTZ 4 wheel drive Z-71. Both engines have plenty of power. Especially compared to my current ride. But. I absolutely love the 6.2. I’m leaning towards the big v8. I don’t tow anything that heavy to really need it. I’m fine with paying extra for premium fuel each fill up. I know the 6.2 is overkill for what I will use the truck for. With all that I have written so far. Am I crazy for wanting to buy the 6.2 because it’s more powerful and you get the 10 speed automatic with it? Or should I just get a 5.3 LTZ? 

My rule of thumb when it comes to car buying is, generally, to get what you want. There's so many things we don't "need" but if you just got what you "needed" you'd be stuck driving a boring old Corolla.

If after driving both engines, there is something just pushing you towards one of the engines over the other you better listen to it. There's no sense in spending $40K-$50K-$60K on a truck to give up on something you really wanted and then have a feeling of regret every time you drive.

If you're under a super tight budget then maybe pay attention to it (the gas prices, oil changes, maintenance, etc). But don't overlook the "cost" of NOT getting what you really want and regretting it later. Or taking a hit on the depreciation and trading it in for the 6.2 after a few years.

Go with the 6.2 and drive that bad boy with pride.

*note - This is based solely on your original post, in case you've added any other info or changed minds : )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tow, so I got the 6.2.  If it was just a daily driver, I would get the 5.3, especially if it has the 10 speed.  The 6.2 is just overkill if you have no need for it.

There’s always a need for the 6.2 and not just for “More Smiles Per Miles” 6.2 all the way!

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 4:22 AM, Chevyguy273 said:

I fall, mostly, in you same boat as far as what I use the truck for. I got the 6.2l and I do not regret it in the slightest. For only getting, according to the window sticker, like 2 mpg around town and 1 mpg on the highway it’s a no brained. I average about 16 mpg with mostly in town driving. DO IT!! You will not be upset.