Should I get the big bad 6.2

33 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

I have Amp Research power steps.  That's why I like them so much - they blend in and are virtually hidden when they are retracted.

Which AMP steps did you use ? They used to have regular and xtreme versions (the later with two motors vs one) And I saw a new one with sort of built in rock rail..  I really like how they disappear on your truck.

Good morning. Soon to be new Silverado owner here. I need some opinions please. I’m a compact car driving kind of guy. I haven’t owned anything remotely close in size to the new Silverado in the last 20 years. But. I took one for a several hour road test by myself on suggesting by the sales guy. And I absolutely fell in love with it. The shear size and driving dynamics will take a bit of getting used to. But. The view and lack of noise in the spacious cabin was stunning. And the power compared to my little Corolla was mind blowing. Here’s where the problem is. I test drove a 5.3 and a 6.2. Both equipped the same. 1500 Crew Cab short box LTZ 4 wheel drive Z-71. Both engines have plenty of power. Especially compared to my current ride. But. I absolutely love the 6.2. I’m leaning towards the big v8. I don’t tow anything that heavy to really need it. I’m fine with paying extra for premium fuel each fill up. I know the 6.2 is overkill for what I will use the truck for. With all that I have written so far. Am I crazy for wanting to buy the 6.2 because it’s more powerful and you get the 10 speed automatic with it? Or should I just get a 5.3 LTZ? 
The only thing I like about my truck is the 6.2. That and bed length are really the only things you can't upgrade down the road. Get the biggest engine you can.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, huntwyo said:

The only thing I like about my truck is the 6.2. That and bed length are really the only things you can't upgrade down the road. Get the biggest engine you can.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

I agree.  If I could have, I would have bought an 8' bed crew in Denali trim but with a z71 package.  Works for me.

Why not?
82aa8c0c7936694aef8fe47653678cc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does everyone post their gas mileage over the last 25 miles, it’s not an accurate gauge, it can be high or low going through the mountains depending on which way you’re going, set it to the longest setting (my 15 is last 400miles) it’s more accurate than 25

• Like 3

Why does everyone post their gas mileage over the last 25 miles, it’s not an accurate gauge, it can be high or low going through the mountains depending on which way you’re going, set it to the longest setting (my 15 is last 400miles) it’s more accurate than 25

To make it look like they’re getting great mileage.
  • Like 2

It’s all BS anyway. My last 400 miles means nothing if your last 400 miles weren’t driven side by side to me at the exact same speed and terrain. The 6.2’s seem to be getting much better mpg’s than the 5.3’s too. Again, even the 400 mile average means nothing if it’s not exactly matched terrain and mph.

Example: I had someone claim his 2017 5.3 loaded with a motorcycle was getting 24 mpg’s, beating my empty 2018 6.2. Later he posted he was doing 50-55 mph to my 65-70 mph. I don’t believe what anyone says in these forums anymore, everyone’s truck is better than everyone else’s lol.

Sent from Above
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, romclean1 said:

Which AMP steps did you use ? They used to have regular and xtreme versions (the later with two motors vs one) And I saw a new one with sort of built in rock rail..  I really like how they disappear on your truck.

I have the regular, single-motor version.

15 hours ago, lapoolboy said:

I have the regular, single-motor version.

Wow! Those are some nice steps. Not hanging out like an elephant ear. I didn’t notice them in your photo of your truck. I ordered my truck with mud flaps. I’m 6”2 so I won’t have any problem getting in and out. But. My 5”5 European Princess will probably have issues. 

I would NEVER give up 4WD in a 6.2. It’s part of what makes it so fun. Launching in auto 4x4 is a riot, she just gets up and goes. Great way to take your passengers (or a Camaro) by surprise.

420hp to just a leaf spring solid axle with no weight over it....you ain’t ever gonna get off the line.

• Like 1

The 5.3 is awesome but the 6.2 is fun and awesome. Personally with the way electric is coming on this might be our last chance to drive a pick-up with some moxie. Especially if you grew up in the Muscle Car era or the late 60's. I will drive gasoline til I die! lol

Edited by Likarok

6.2 all the way. I baby my truck since it's brand new but every now and then I'll punch it and its all there when I need regardless if off the line, 40mph, or at 70mph. Huge difference compared to my wife's 2016 Yukon SLT with the 22's and 5.3. 

On 3/3/2020 at 9:15 PM, disneybaker said:

My brother's DIC showed a best economy of 28 mpg (8.5L/100 km) because there's a long downhill section of highway heading out of the town where he lives. Even he admitted it was lying. ?

On 3/1/2020 at 11:14 AM, lapoolboy said:

Truth hurts and life's rough.  Get a helmet.

Well played sir, well played..... Good looking truck by the way!

Any suggestions on the melon protector? We can probably get a new post going.....