I love my 8 speed

There. I said it. It's butter smooth. It's smart (compared to my old 6 speed which didnt understand what a hill was). It tows well. It hasnt let me down (big old knock on wood there). It isnt alway changing gear trying to make up its mind. The truck gets great gas mileage. The only fault is the occasional jolt between first and second when its cold. And it really is rare. There's so much  negativity on here about the 8 speed I thought Id give it at least one thumbs up. 

EF86B071-4775-4248-BACA-893D9DB1090E.JPG

IMG_9917.JPG

• Like 2

There are plenty that work just fine but among all the transmissions it is known to have more issues/failures/recalls/buybacks than others. They are having issues with it in every platform it is used. I believe some of the camaro and corvette groups are trying to sue gm. Think i read that somewhere. If 10,000 people complain on a forum it looks like every 8 speed is bad but there are a million out there not on a forum complaining. 

55 minutes ago, smrr1 said:

There are plenty that work just fine but among all the transmissions it is known to have more issues/failures/recalls/buybacks than others. They are having issues with it in every platform it is used. I believe some of the camaro and corvette groups are trying to sue gm. Think i read that somewhere. If 10,000 people complain on a forum it looks like every 8 speed is bad but there are a million out there not on a forum complaining. 

There has been a class action lawsuit for this transmission going on for a while, its had a lot of legitimate issues.

21 minutes ago, Mikedfw said:

There has been a class action lawsuit for this transmission going on for a while, its had a lot of legitimate issues.

The lawyers will probably get some kind of windfall from it, the ones that file a claim will probably get a coupon for a meatless Whopper value meal.  ?

Class actions are like death penalty cases, they don't mean what peeps think they mean...

Edited by It's Tim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

The lawyers will probably get some kind of windfall from it, the ones that file a claim will probably get a coupon for a meatless Whopper value meal.  ?

Class actions are like death penalty cases, they don't mean what peeps think they mean...

No there is little pay out individually with a class action lawsuit, my point was that there are enough people having problems with the transmissions for there to actually be a class action lawsuit. It's not just a few people having the problem. 

I just ordered a 2020 Chevy silverado and other than this forum could not find anyone or any place that had anything bad to say about the 8 speed. I'm coming from a 2017 Chevy truck that I bought out of need because I wreck my 2009 and had to take what they had on the lot.  I talked with 3 friends that have them, I talked with the dealer and the service department. Could not find anyone  that didn't like the 8 speed. ?????

Have to say I also love the 8 speed. Coming from my 2009 Silverado 6 speed. First back out of driveway in  morning put in drive from reverse. It a little slow to respond. But warmed up your fine. The only other thing sometimes driving say 70 75 on the highway. Punch it I  experience like a drive line lag catch up. Like a trans slip than bang. You feel the truck shake. but not all the time. Not worried about it. Enjoy your Trucks.