Storage FAIL

Well this is my first post here, I've been lurking and reading since I got my 2020 RST in July.  I love this truck, the looks, feel, smaller wheel, tighter steering, and the engine rocks!!!

My first negative observation of this year's model is the complete lack of storage.  This one Chevy got wrong.  Ill start my rant at the drivers door and go around.

1.  There is only space in the bottom of the door, they deleted the cubby under the arm rest.  

2.  They deleted the small "ash tray" like compartment under the dash by the steering wheel.

3.  No sunglass compartment.

4.  Added a completely USELESS tray on the dash.  Good luck reaching into that.  And whatever you do put in it reflects on the windshield.

5.  The middle console just sucks.  Only 2 cup holders and the little compartments around it are worthless, other than to place your keys/fob.

6.  Inside the top center storage console is much smaller the previous model.  Not as deep.  The bottom storage is even smaller because of the vent that has to run under there to feed air to the back seat.

7.  The top glove box is shallow, less deep.  

8.  No where to mount my flashlight.

9.  The LED interior lighting sucks, its too dim, and pointed at the doors, not where you need it.

Now all these things may not seem like much but I'm a first responder/LEO and I used every bit of the spaces that were there.

My only saving grace is I went out and bought a Du-Ha under seat storage tray.  This has been a life saver so far.  But everything is still either out of reach or people have to move.  I also had to trim it because of the full mats.

So.....there is a point here.....what are you guys doing to store things up front?  In particular I miss my full center console.  Is there anything that can go in that very tight space on the floor at about the same height?  Where are you putting your cell phones, sanitizers, etc.?  

I have a ton of stuff clipped to my visors, that helps.  I got large rubber bands to hold stuff.  Problem is ....I'm a neat freak about my trucks.

20200908_170849.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Time for a center console swap!

My RST has the factory center console with the two cup holders and the little "3rd" cup holder between them (think red bull can size)

Remember there are two additional cup holders in the rear of the center console (for back seat passengers, but you can use them)

If you don't want to do that, I think there are storage solutions that sit on the transmission tunnel between the dash and the seats.

• Thanks 1

I have a 2020 TrailBoss LT and I've found it's pretty much perfect for all of my storage needs with the exception of the factory rear underseat storage. So like you I got the DuHa but unlike you, I didn't have to trim anything. I have the full size floor mats as well. It fit perfectly. Stores my extra medkit, tape (duct and gorilla), another flashlight, survival gear (water treatment, pocket knife, tarp), large ice scraper, fire extinguisher, 12volt air pump, tow rope, regular rope, tie downs, and my tools.

My center console storage is about 75% empty with everything I need stored. That includes a small med kit, flashlight, pocket knife, reading glasses, pencils/pens, and a few other things. I have a flashlight on my drivers side door along with a medium sized knife (SOG Seal Pup) in its sheath, and my tire air gauge. Just went on a 3-hour trip to the mountains with my daughters and we had plenty of room for our drinks and food when we went through the drivethrough.

Now I'm coming from a 2016 Tacoma, you talk about small...

Edited by BossTaco2020
clarification
  • Like 1

I have a 2020 TrailBoss LT and I've found it's pretty much perfect for all of my storage needs with the exception of the factory rear underseat storage. So like you I got the DuHa but unlike you, I didn't have to trim anything. I have the full size floor mats as well. It fit perfectly. Stores my extra medkit, tape (duct and gorilla), another flashlight, survival gear (water treatment, pocket knife, tarp), large ice scraper, fire extinguisher, 12volt air pump, tow rope, regular rope, tie downs, and my tools.

My center console storage is about 75% empty with everything I need stored. That includes a small med kit, flashlight, pocket knife, reading glasses, pencils/pens, and a few other things. I have a flashlight on my drivers side door along with a medium sized knife (SOG Seal Pup) in its sheath, and my tire air gauge. Just went on a 3-hour trip to the mountains with my daughters and we had plenty of room for our drinks and food when we went through the drivethrough.

Now I'm coming from a 2016 Tacoma, you talk about small...

Haha, also coming from a 16 Tacoma, so this thing is huge.

I kind of agree with that top of dash storage. Not super useful for things you don’t want to cook, or melt. Not really sure what to put up there, I lose some spare sunglasses in that pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha.... Also coming from a 17' Tacoma. I transferred all my stuff from the Taco to the Trail Boss. I was like where's everything else??? Tacoma had ZERO storage... especially with the subwoofer on the one side. 

Best part is I can now fit my climber and more then a single deer in the bed! Sales guy thought I was nuts when I said I needed more bed space to fit deer. lol. 

• Like 3

On 9/19/2020 at 2:15 AM, fsuboy75 said:

Well this is my first post here, I've been lurking and reading since I got my 2020 RST in July.  I love this truck, the looks, feel, smaller wheel, tighter steering, and the engine rocks!!!

My first negative observation of this year's model is the complete lack of storage.  This one Chevy got wrong.  Ill start my rant at the drivers door and go around.

1.  There is only space in the bottom of the door, they deleted the cubby under the arm rest.  

2.  They deleted the small "ash tray" like compartment under the dash by the steering wheel.

4.  Added a completely USELESS tray on the dash.  Good luck reaching into that.  And whatever you do put in it reflects on the windshield.

5.  The middle console just sucks.  Only 2 cup holders and the little compartments around it are worthless, other than to place your keys/fob.

6.  Inside the top center storage console is much smaller the previous model.  Not as deep.  The bottom storage is even smaller because of the vent that has to run under there to feed air to the back seat.

9.  The LED interior lighting sucks, its too dim, and pointed at the doors, not where you need it.

Now all these things may not seem like much but I'm a first responder/LEO and I used every bit of the spaces that were there.

My only saving grace is I went out and bought a Du-Ha under seat storage tray.  This has been a life saver so far.  But everything is still either out of reach or people have to move.  I also had to trim it because of the full mats.

So.....there is a point here.....what are you guys doing to store things up front?  In particular I miss my full center console.  Is there anything that can go in that very tight space on the floor at about the same height?  Where are you putting your cell phones, sanitizers, etc.?  

I have a ton of stuff clipped to my visors, that helps.  I got large rubber bands to hold stuff.  Problem is ....I'm a neat freak about my trucks.

20200908_170849.jpg

I have a 2500 custom crew cab. No center storage compartments. I really don't want to lose the floor space in that back, when the seats are flipped up. I'm thinking of investing in some custom seat covers this winter. There is an eBay vender that has molly available on the front seat backs. Thinking of not only that, but molly panels for under the rear seats too. When the seats are up in the stow position, the molly accessories will be displayed. When the seats are down, they will be hidden. 

These are the mods I had to do to my Du-Ha.  It wouldn't fit around the front of the jack because of the full mats.  There was a ridge on the mat that came up in front of the jack.   It was either cut the Du-Ha or the mat.   So I trimmed it out, got crooked in the center but oh well, its packed with stuff and no one will ever see it.

20200922_014551.jpg

20200922_013833.jpg

20 hours ago, childstoys said:

Best part is I can now fit my climber and more then a single deer in the bed! Sales guy thought I was nuts when I said I needed more bed space to fit deer. lol. 

20191123_142329.thumb.jpg.1b2bb290017b48daff51f157daafeb59.jpg

This is a photo of my undercover swing case. I use that to keep the rest of the bed open for more important items!

From opening weekend hunting with my Dad and my sister 2 years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

20191123_142329.thumb.jpg.1b2bb290017b48daff51f157daafeb59.jpg

This is a photo of my undercover swing case. I use that to keep the rest of the bed open for more important items!

From opening weekend hunting with my Dad and my sister 2 years ago.

That's what I'm talking about! I had 4 loaded in my Taco last opening day and had to try to close the Tonneau. It was busting at the seams.... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 2:15 AM, fsuboy75 said:

It looks like you and I think a like.   The biggest thing I miss about my 2015 is storage space.  I travel with my truck and have kids and dogs.  I loved all the door pockets and the deep center console.  Also loved how my cupholders were removable for a little secret storage.   Although the backseat, seat back storage is neat, I would rather have my door pockets back.  They also don't have the pocket at the back side of the center console for the rear seats. 

I also removed the under seat storage and modified the one removed from my 2015 to fit my 2020.  Made similar cuts just like you did.  The truck was two days old when I did it. lol

tote1.jpg

tote2.jpg

• Like 1