Recent 2020 Sierra blown engine (6.2 valve springs), need advice. 2019-2021 6.2L — How many of you are loving your truck?

GMCnoob

I’m trying to decide what to do next. Bought a Sierra 1500 6.2L in September 2020, catastrophic engine failure due to broken valve spring with less than 500 miles on odometer. Spent more than 2 months in the shop. Had already had some electrical issues prior to the engine failure, so overall 4-5 trips into the shop.

I previously owned a 2017 with the 6.2L and had no issues. This new truck has just been a terrible experience, in general. As much as I feel soured on the GM experience right now, I know lemons happen to all manufacturers. Besides buying a Toyota, I’m not sure any manufacturer is dramatically more reliable than GM. 

I’m thinking about getting a 2021 AT4 with 6.2 to replace my current truck (outside of the dates of the valve spring problem, of course). I just can’t deal with another issue like this one right now. Every time my truck goes into the shop, I’m stuck with a compact sedan or crossover SUV. I need a truck for spring and summer, camping and towing. 

How many of you with the 6.2L, especially AT4 are loving the truck and not having any issues? Would you buy your truck again?

I just seem to read about more and more issues everywhere I look now, but I have a feeling it’s because I’ve been looking for info about my problems. Thanks for the help!

My 2020 Sierra Denali just turned 6000 miles.  Bought it last July.  The 6.2's performance has been excellent save for the 10-12 mpg when towing and the lack of extended range fuel tank.  Overall I'm very pleased with the truck.  Hopefully GM will assist you with getting out of the lemon and into a good performing truck.  

• Like 1

Sorry about your experience but it is a vehicle and they do break. I went through the “Chevy Shake” in 2016 with my Sierra. It sucked!! It was in the shop more than my garage. Owned truck from August 2016 to January 2017. It was in shop for 4 of those months. But GM took care of me and I got a 2017 and it was perfect. I was on phone with GM and the dealership (sales manager and service manager) everyday though. They need to understand your frustration. 

I’d be on the phone with GM support/customer service get a claim number and insist GM give you a bumper to bumper 100k warranty. I’ve read that they will do this for customers. 

Also if your truck is in the shop. Tell the dealership you want another truck. I’ve always requested for a truck and they have always given me one. I just got mine back over Xmas break with a new steering column replacement and a few rattles.  They provided me with a 2021 RST.  Put over 1200 miles on it in a week???

Again, I have been in your shoes, it sucks, but it’s under warranty and be thankful you are not paying out of pocket. 

I love my new truck in every way. It’s an all around better truck than the 3 K2s I had. I wouldn’t go back and don’t have any regrets. 

Good luck with your decision and BTW.....even Toyota has there issues??

Edited by TNTSilverado
  • Like 1

My ‘21 RST 6.2 runs great and drives better/less like a truck than my 15 and 18 Silverado’s.  However I didn’t have any issues with the 15 and the 18.  The 15 was an LTZ ccsb 5.3, the 18 was an LTZ ccsb LTZ 6.2.  I don’t dislike my current truck, but the prior two were better trucks, better vehicles in my opinion.  The 18 6.2 definitely got better gas mileage than my 21 6.2.  I have had and am still having some minor electronic issues on my current truck.   And in my opinion the 15 and 18 were a lot better looking trucks, had more storage.   And the fact that my current truck does fall in the broken valve spring time frame it’s always in the back of my mind when I’m out of town, what if it breaks here....?

Edited by SILVER SLED
  • Like 1

I’m sorry you are having bad luck with your new truck. I have owned a 2020 LTZ Crew Cab short box 6.2l Z-71 since July. Even though I have the dreaded power sliding rear window “leak” that’s been repaired twice. I absolutely love ❤️ my truck! And I would absolutely buy it again. I love the view. The interior gets dumped on by the press. But it’s perfect for me. I love the column shifter. It’s very quiet going down the road. It’s kinda hard to describe. But it drives smaller than its behemoth size would lead you to believe. It is an absolute pain in the ass to park. The highway fuel economy is impressive for something so huge. I get over 24mpg in the summer months with the cruise set at 65. The 6.2 is a awesome motor!! The 10 speed transmission shifts so smoothly you can barely feel it. I’ve been driving my Corolla for 10 years. So I may be slightly biased in my opinions. But give the 2021 AT4. I’m confident that GMC will pull through the second time. Good luck whatever you decide to do. 

• Like 1

Not sure where I read that the 2017 was the "un reliable" year on these newer models . I have a 2017 Sierra SLT 6.2 with the Z71 package with shock upgraded to "Bilstein's " and leveled out. I drive hwy. to get to the Mountains of Western Colorado . In my experience its been a great truck other then the one problem about it having the "DOD" where it disactivates cylinders to save of fuel (I run a "Range" on it to keep it on 8 cyl. all the time) the other issue I've found to have is the transmission  that slams when hitting stop signs at low speed. at 90K miles I had this serviced and it seemed to be a little better but it still isn't right. I change its oil religiously at 4000 mile full synthetic . I'm now sitting at 115K miles and going strong.  There are some things I'd love to ha1994753978_GMC01.thumb.jpg.a6a052c7fc0b940fbb1d57bce6065b1e.jpgve on a wish list .....IMG_E0203.thumb.JPG.16c7538a9362c434d363b3171c3bb485.JPG 

• Like 1

I absolutely love my 19 HC w6.2 - 10 sp. Prior to this truck I had,

2017 Audi Q7

2012 Lexus LX460

2009 Tahoe

2004 Tahoe

1999 Tahoe,

This truck has been the best thing out of all of the above that I have had in the past.

I had the leaking rear window but it was replaced on the second visit and no more issues to date. 

Edited by eppieguy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chevyguy273 said:

I’m sorry you are having bad luck with your new truck. I have owned a 2020 LTZ Crew Cab short box 6.2l Z-71 since July. Even though I have the dreaded power sliding rear window “leak” that’s been repaired twice. I absolutely love ❤️ my truck! And I would absolutely buy it again. I love the view. The interior gets dumped on by the press. But it’s perfect for me. I love the column shifter. It’s very quiet going down the road. It’s kinda hard to describe. But it drives smaller than its behemoth size would lead you to believe. It is an absolute pain in the ass to park. The highway fuel economy is impressive for something so huge. I get over 24mpg in the summer months with the cruise set at 65. The 6.2 is a awesome motor!! The 10 speed transmission shifts so smoothly you can barely feel it. I’ve been driving my Corolla for 10 years. So I may be slightly biased in my opinions. But give the 2021 AT4. I’m confident that GMC will pull through the second time. Good luck whatever you decide to do. 

Thanks for all the responses. This is basically how I feel about the trucks. I like the relatively understated (outdated?) interior compared to the overdone (IMO) Ram interior styling. Like the column shifter. Love the exterior styling more than any other truck by far. Love the 6.2 w 10 speed powertrain (when it was running). Only major flaw is I wish it had a bigger gas tank.

Basically for all the reasons I bought a 2020, I should probably just get a new 2021. Then I think of all these headaches I’ve had with the electronics and then the engine and I have to think twice.  But then, sometimes one just gets unlucky. Hopefully next time I’ll get a good one!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

My ‘21 RST 6.2 runs great and drives better/less like a truck than my 15 and 18 Silverado’s.  However I didn’t have any issues with the 15 and the 18.  The 15 was an LTZ ccsb 5.3, the 18 was an LTZ ccsb LTZ 6.2.  I don’t dislike my current truck, but the prior two were better trucks, better vehicles in my opinion.  The 18 6.2 definitely got better gas mileage than my 21 6.2.  I have had and am still having some minor electronic issues on my current truck.   And in my opinion the 15 and 18 were a lot better looking trucks, had more storage.   And the fact that my current truck does fall in the broken valve spring time frame it’s always in the back of my mind when I’m out of town, what if it breaks here....?

Yes, not sure when you bought yours but I think in October they started idling all the 6.2L at 3000rpm for 4 hours or something before selling them. If they don’t break during that test, apparently they are thought to be safe from the issue.

I would almost want to replace my valve springs proactively if my truck fell in that range, just for peace of mind. Easy for me to say now.

20 minutes ago, GMCnoob said:

Yes, not sure when you bought yours but I think in October they started idling all the 6.2L at 3000rpm for 4 hours or something before selling them. If they don’t break during that test, apparently they are thought to be safe from the issue.

I would almost want to replace my valve springs proactively if my truck fell in that range, just for peace of mind. Easy for me to say now.

Well, I thought about that, but even though I've ran my truck down the track a few times, I'm not to fond of the idea of that being done to my truck.  I may spend the money to get new springs, but that kind of erks me too.  

I would say just wait and give things a chance. The engine’s already replaced. Not much else major to go wrong. Electronic bugs are everywhere and unavoidable.

Look, I hated my 2019 at times. I’ve been to the shop more times than I can count. Given Malibus and Buick Encores as loaners. It’s frustrating but now that it’s sorted out, it’s a great vehicle I enjoy driving. Why the hell would I want to start the process over again in what amounts to the same truck?

In the end, the 2021 is the same ****** in the same wrapper and not likely to be 100% perfect either. Refresh inbound. Trading a 20 for a 21 makes no sense unless the thing is actually lemon law-ed and you’re made whole.

2 hours ago, eppieguy said:

I absolutely love my 19 HC w6.2 - 10 sp. Prior to this truck I had,

2017 Audi Q7

2012 Lexus LX460

2009 Tahoe

2004 Tahoe

1999 Tahoe,

This truck has been the best thing out of all of the above that I have had in the past.

I had the leaking rear window but it was replaced on the second visit and no more issues to date. 

The Lexus 460 is a beloved vehicle, you did not enjoy it?  The Q7, I was not a fan at all, I'd take 6.2 over Q7 every day all day.

Edited by 204Denali