On 7/19/2021 at 7:39 AM, Mileon said:

I recently purchased a 2021 Chevrolet Silverado LT Trail Boss (3 months ago) and last weekend I experienced my truck making a very strange noise.  I quickly contacted the dealership and they just confirmed that my lifters are defected.  They are replacing the lifters on the truck this week.  My first GM truck I bought was a 2006 Silverado.  That truck is still up and going with over 220,000 miles.  I then purchased a 2016 GMC Sierra and the dealership notified me of the truck being a lemon due to the transmission.  Now I am worried about this brand new truck having these issues so early on.  

Everything changed in model year 2007.  2006 was the last good year, imo.  With that said, I have 16,000 miles on my 2020 and have had zero issues. 

On 7/19/2021 at 11:32 AM, stormslinger1 said:

I just dropped my 2021 Silverado 5.3L (13,000 Miles) to the dealer this weekend, same issues. Service Parking Brake, Service ESC and Engine Light Indicators went off while driving. Shuddering, knocking at idle and while driving, basically running like dogshit. Service Department called and said there were several misfires, countless error codes and that my Lifters were bad. Of course, they are backordered from the factory, so who knows when I'll get it back. Definitely time for a recall!

Not a safety issue, therefore won't be recalled.  This has been a problem for 15 years and GM has never issued a recall for it.  Why?  You are still able to safely control your vehicle to the side of the road and wait for a tow truck. 

On 7/19/2021 at 7:58 PM, Niki said:

My 2021 Chevy Silverado Trail Boss has 3500 miles. They determined it is a collapsed lifter. Parts are on back order. Could be months.. the dealership service consultant recommended, I do a buy back (lemon law). Is it worth it? Or do I be patient and wait it out? Has anyone experience this and how long did it take for the parts to come in? 

thanks In advance.

It can take several months for the lemon law prices to work itself out.  I'm in California.  My neighbor started the lemon law process in March.  Currently the truck is in his possession, but GM is making the payments. 

Same issue with my 2021 GMC Yukon, purchased it in Nov. 2020 and has less than 10K miles. Code registers misfire in cylinder six but dealer never could replicate the issue. Dealer switched spark plugs between 2 and 6 and I took it home. Within 15 minutes of leaving, I stopped at a light and the rough idle started up again. Took it back to the dealer and had another misfire in cylinder 6. They replaced the injector only to have another misfire register the next day. Last I heard, they are waiting for authorization from GM to remove and inspect the lifters. I've also opened a case with GM 3 days ago and have yet to hear from them. Was told by the dealer about the defective hydraulic lifters that exist on certain vehicles and if that is my issue then all 8 will need to be replaced. Made it seem like it would take months to get those parts. I've already been without the vehicle for 11 days. Hoping for another update today!

Sounds like GM kinda keeps the dealer in the dark about parts availability. They show up when they do. 

$2k in on new lifters and it seems to be running fine. Still trepidatious on the other side 8 though. 

I posted this in a similar thread here, but just started having this same issue in my 2021 RST (5.3l V8) bought in March of this year. Started running rough and misfiring yesterday on the way home. Could hear the knocking in the engine (thinking it was a stuck lifter or valve issue because that's what it feels/sounds like). Turned it on today and engine is still running rough. After idling for about a minute, I got the Service Parking Brake and Service ESC messages with the traction control light. Calling dealer tomorrow.

I know stuff happens. Machines aren't perfect. Factories mess up. Humans make mistakes. But I will ride the dealer and GM hard over loss of the use of the truck while it's repaired or waiting on pazrts. It sounds like I could be without the truck for a while if the availability of parts is an issue.

Visited the dealer in my other car on Monday. Explained what happened, what I knew about it, and what I needed (the truck fixed and a loaner). This dealership normally has 300 cars on the lot, is down to 30. The service manager was waiting on three loaners that were "on the way". While I was standing them, the sales guy I bought the truck through said that they were unloading the loaners that very minute. They had me get the truck towed through the warranty's roadside assistance.

The service manager said the latest bulletin on this is that if the truck falls under a certain VIN range (built between 9/20202 and 1/2021) or has less than 8,000 miles, GM says to rebuild both sides of the engine, not just the side with the faulty lifter/s. I guess they want to avoid more buybacks and lemon law complaints. Since my truck fell under both conditions (built in October of 2020 and had less than 6,500 miles on it), he was able to get the parts I need quickly (should be here in a week). The tech foreman is the one who does these rebuilds and he's done about 3 in the last week. Some of them were waiting were waiting on parts for 6-8 weeks a while back (older with more miles on them presumably).

ETA to have my truck back is the end of next week. I'm glad they found a loaner for me, the car rental places are charging insane rates and none of them have many cars anyway since they sold off most of their fleets during Covid to stay afloat.

Well,  here we go again.  Had one bank of lifters repaired at 9k.  Tried to get GM to do right thing but no go.  Now, 3000 miles later the springs go out!  

I’m done.  Love the 6.2 but can’t just wait around till the next problem. 

Worked with my dealer and traded it in on a Duramax.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 2:48 PM, MAC21 said:

Well,  here we go again.  Had one bank of lifters repaired at 9k.  Tried to get GM to do right thing but no go.  Now, 3000 miles later the springs go out!  

I’m done.  Love the 6.2 but can’t just wait around till the next problem. 

Worked with my dealer and traded it in on a Duramax.

Good for you. I have been working with issues on my 5.3 since day one. GM even replaced the engine. Working on buyback now. Probably going F-250 or F-350 next. 40 year Chevrolet owner. Done with GM.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I have a 2021 Silverado RST-last week headed up north in MI pulling 800 lb trailer, and long story short, the truck started making a clicking noise like a switch was trying to turn on, hesitation, vibration, and followed by a light show of every warning light coming on in the IP. Mind  you, truck has 3700 miles since April 2021. Dealership in area told me they had another customer with same issue with only 127 miles-diagnoses was cyl 6 push rod knocking. Told I could return home (250 miles) and did. Took to my dealership 2 days ago and was called and told GM has instructed them to replace all 16 lifters. My concern is what does this mean to the life of my truck and the resale of my $55000 truck. Not happy but gosh I sure love my truck. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 10:13 AM, SteveG said:

Good for you. I have been working with issues on my 5.3 since day one. GM even replaced the engine. Working on buyback now. Probably going F-250 or F-350 next. 40 year Chevrolet owner. Done with GM.

What was the song and dance to get the engine replacement? I had all 16 lifters replaced last week and the CEL is back on.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this just happened to me on the way to work! Hopefully I make it home.  No lights on the dash but lifter noise and a intermittent knock, Dropping it off at the dealership today.  I ask if they seen any others his reply a few but fixed with re-flashing. 

2021 RST 5.3 5482 miles

My 2021 LT Trail Boss doing exactly everything you just just wrote 1st cylinder fail knocking like the police! My  a/c not cooling properly, brakes, traction control, stability trak all this at 10k miles! We’re  so disappointed. This seems to be an on going problem with Chevy. I’ve already had mine in the shop twice for a/c issues now massive engine failure. Parts are back ordered. No signs of getting it repaired anytime soon. At what point is there a recall.?? 

Edited by Donny Block