Update: got a call at 3 o’clock Friday afternoon parts are in mechanic is starting to tear down should have my truck back by Wednesday or Thursday. All 16 lifters are being replaced. Pending any push rod or any other damage.

i’d like to hear from some people that had this done. How many miles do they have on their vehicle after the fix , see about the longevity I might try to dump the vehicle possibly get some of my down payment back and wait for the 2022s to hit lot or possibly a 2021 that was built after March 2021

On 5/12/2021 at 9:32 PM, Robby James said:

I wonder percentage wise what this looks like?

5.3 vs 6.2 etc blah blah is it REALLY that many or are they all congregating here?

Thus far no issue with mine although I think mine was one of the "high idle for a few hours before selling" ones as my hour meter showed hrs and I had like 2 miles on it when I bought it.

You hit the nail on the head. I've been trying to say this all over the place. People forget that GM has sold somewhere around 1.5 million of these trucks...the vast majority of them have no issues at all. Sure there's going to be issues...especially with a new generation of trucks. Ford, Ram and even Toyota will have their issues.

It's just the internet doing its thing. People naturally only post things when bad things happen, not when nothing out of the ordinary happens. So if you just surround yourself on the internet, you'd believe that all of the trucks must be just falling apart. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 7:51 AM, ram1067 said:

Update: got a call at 3 o’clock Friday afternoon parts are in mechanic is starting to tear down should have my truck back by Wednesday or Thursday. All 16 lifters are being replaced. Pending any push rod or any other damage.

i’d like to hear from some people that had this done. How many miles do they have on their vehicle after the fix , see about the longevity I might try to dump the vehicle possibly get some of my down payment back and wait for the 2022s to hit lot or possibly a 2021 that was built after March 2021

I had all 16 done at around 8k miles and now have over 13k miles with no issues at all.

I do still really like this truck.  I have no plans to trade it in or anything like that.

Honestly my only concern is the mark it has on it because the engine was worked on.  That means nothing to me but a lot of people are making it sound like something is wrong with a truck that was fixed so that is all.

• 2 weeks later...

2021 Trail Boss owner here. Under 18,000 miles and just had truck towed to the shop. Push rods and lifters being replaced on one side, and then the service shop will deal with what sounds like it could be either a U Joint going out, a bearing that wasn't packed, or possibly the drive shaft going out. My service engine light never came on until dealership started it to pull it into the shop. 

6 minutes ago, klbrower said:

2021 Trail Boss owner here. Under 18,000 miles and just had truck towed to the shop. Push rods and lifters being replaced on one side, and then the service shop will deal with what sounds like it could be either a U Joint going out, a bearing that wasn't packed, or possibly the drive shaft going out. My service engine light never came on until dealership started it to pull it into the shop. 

I would fight for both sides to be replaced, I have seen several people on here have to go through this twice because their dealers followed what is in my opinion the incorrect procedure for fixing this issue. All lifters and push rods should be fixed, your chances for this happening to the other side is rather good.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:32 AM, stormslinger1 said:

I just dropped my 2021 Silverado 5.3L (13,000 Miles) to the dealer this weekend, same issues. Service Parking Brake, Service ESC and Engine Light Indicators went off while driving. Shuddering, knocking at idle and while driving, basically running like dogshit. Service Department called and said there were several misfires, countless error codes and that my Lifters were bad. Of course, they are backordered from the factory, so who knows when I'll get it back. Definitely time for a recall!

This just happened to my 2020 6.2L Trail Boss. Truck threw all those codes while driving, so I pulled over parked and shut her down. Then I tried to restart the truck and it wouldn’t start. About 20min later it finally started. 

Has anyone had ALL lifters replaced and then had them fail again afterwards?

I have a 21 RST w the 5.3L and had both sides replaced. First set went at 22,000 kms, left me stranded 6 hours away from home. After a 4 week wait, one side was fixed. Second side went at 24,000 kms, that one only took 3 days to fix.

My build date was Dec 2020, so right in the problem area.

I'm honestly thinking about getting rid of this truck, but possibly for another 5.3L or 6.2L. But curious if Im just getting back into the same boat, with a new truck that's going to need ALL lifters repaired again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 3:18 PM, BBroker71 said:

Has anyone had ALL lifters replaced and then had them fail again afterwards?

I have a 21 RST w the 5.3L and had both sides replaced. First set went at 22,000 kms, left me stranded 6 hours away from home. After a 4 week wait, one side was fixed. Second side went at 24,000 kms, that one only took 3 days to fix.

My build date was Dec 2020, so right in the problem area.

I'm honestly thinking about getting rid of this truck, but possibly for another 5.3L or 6.2L. But curious if Im just getting back into the same boat, with a new truck that's going to need ALL lifters repaired again. 

I wasnt going to sign up to post until my 2021 Silverado 6.2L failed again at 11500 miles (still waiting on confirmation of what happened) , my first call from service advisor said a main fuse blew causing my engine to shut off on a busy highway. The first time a lifter failed was at 8000 miles, replaced one side and was told the likely hood of this happening again is very low.

Vin# 3CGUYEEL6MG300606

2021 5.3 RST - 15,300 miles, Just had the dreaded lifter issue.  Happened on saturday, was able to limp the truck home because no service departments were open.  Chugged it to the dealer this morning blowing smoke everywhere.  Dropped it off at 7:50am, and picked it up same day at 5:30pm.  Can't say enough good stuff about Supreme Chevy in Gonzales.  Now i'm concerned about the driver side going out.  Looking at the Range Technology module that will disable the DFM, don't really care about the mileage, just don't want to get stranded.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2021 Chevrolet Silverado with 5700 miles. I fueled up a couple days ago and got about a mile down the road and the truck started sputtering, running rough and engine knocking. I assumed it was bad gas but turns out it was a bad lifter and collapsed valve spring. Looks like this is a common issue. Doesn’t make sense to have engine problems with this low of mileage vehicle.  

50 minutes ago, Joe Curtis said:

I have a 2021 Chevrolet Silverado with 5700 miles. I fueled up a couple days ago and got about a mile down the road and the truck started sputtering, running rough and engine knocking. I assumed it was bad gas but turns out it was a bad lifter and collapsed valve spring. Looks like this is a common issue. Doesn’t make sense to have engine problems with this low of mileage vehicle.  

Welcome to the club….Just fight like hell to have both sides done!!!! Also demand they provide you with a loner. 

Hopefully it won’t take to long to fix. Mine  was it the dealership for 2 weeks. Good luck 

6 hours ago, Joe Curtis said:

Known issue.  Read the thread for details.  Engines made from June 2020 to March 2021 may have this problem.  Supplier screwed up.

spacer.pngMine was the #5 cylinder that collapsed at 11,440 miles 6.2L. I was only a mile from dealer when the engine started making noise and running rough so I limped in. They took it in right away and showed me the bent pushrod an 2 hrs hater.  Mechanic who started it up, knew right away what it was.  Said they seen a few but mine had more miles then most.

Curious if its always the same cylinder?  Never thought to ask dealer.

Replaced all lifers on same side of engine (drivers side 3rd one from front is #5.

PS, in at 3pm Weds, had truck back at 10am Friday. They had parts in stock so that tells you a lot. They don't stock parts like this unless they use them frequently.  At least this dealer has savvy parts people to anticipate the need.

Edited by elcamino

On 11/13/2021 at 3:36 AM, elcamino said:

Curious if its always the same cylinder?  Never thought to ask dealer.

Just had mine go, Silverado LTZ with 16k miles.  Cylinder 4 with bent pushrod and failed lifter, and cylinder 6 lifter failed.  Waiting on parts now.  Had it towed to the dealer and the tech knew exactly what it was as soon as he heard it, of course the service manager hadn't heard of any lifter problems.