I had my 2021 LT Trail Boss with the 5.3L engine towed to the dealership yesterday.  While driving home from work, the truck started a really rough idle, engine knocking, random misfiring, had Service Emergency Brake, Service ESC messages on the display, check engine light and several other dash warning lights.  I pulled a P0300 code for random misfire.  The dealer diagnosed the truck with a lifter failure.  I haven't been told which cylinder(s) had the failure, but has anyone else had this issue on a 2021 Silverado?  I have 6,200 miles on the truck, and this seems a bit soon to have such major issues with an engine.  At what point does GM decide this is a recall and replace all the lifters?  I suspect, based upon what I've read on the forums, most who are plagued with the failing lifter issue, return to the dealership with additional failed lifters.

I wonder percentage wise what this looks like?

5.3 vs 6.2 etc blah blah is it REALLY that many or are they all congregating here?

Thus far no issue with mine although I think mine was one of the "high idle for a few hours before selling" ones as my hour meter showed hrs and I had like 2 miles on it when I bought it.

• Like 1

I do not think this is a super wide spread issue,  It was a huge issue for a number of trucks in 2019 from what i read. at that time and the pandemic  everyone who bought a truck was on the internet home off work or working from home. 

There were many trucks that had lifter failures at that time. GM issued a build date with the failed parts.  So everyone was  searching the net and this SITE is always at the top of the search. Look up how many of these T1 Trucks have been sold. then  browse or search for identified trucks with  Lifter repairs. you will find its not that great of a problem. My guess is the ones we are seeing now are just failures in the normal range . Every mechanical device manufactured will have a Product fail rate .  

if you could do a internet search  on a brand new computer tied to a brand new ip address from a brand new  internet connection not associated to any home or person and  then search  2019 2020 2021  GM  or Chevy truck issues.  You will probably find people complaining about  what Consumer reports is complaining about the Interior of the trucks. because they do not have rain sensing wipers and some of the other gimmicks that apparently  are now required for even Work Trucks.

The Issues thou are Annoying and i would be MAD as well if it were my Truck. This is not a Wide spread issue. Thou it is a issue. 

Good Luck on getting it fixed .. but i do believe you may need to switch dealerships . If a service provide does now a issue from the very first second you contact them you do not need to let them touch the product.  Listen to there voice . if they lean to  we  we will see what is wrong with YOUR TRUCK..  . They say get it to us so we can Fix this. We will take care of it.. 

Those last two make all the difference . 

Its definitely not "every truck" that does it.  Plenty of 2014-2021 trucks roll through at work here that have never had a single lifter fail on them.  

That said, the last 3 we did were all low mile 2020 and 2021s.  

The 2021’s are being built with defective lifters that come apart internally, usually with less then 10k miles. They bend pushrods sometimes, sometimes they do not. I believe it is a quality control issue of who supplies the lifters to General Motors. The problem has become so widespread that there is a shortage of parts to repair these vehicles. I am currently waiting on parts for 8 of these vehicles. 

3 hours ago, Votivegore said:

The 2021’s are being built with defective lifters that come apart internally, usually with less then 10k miles. They bend pushrods sometimes, sometimes they do not. I believe it is a quality control issue of who supplies the lifters to General Motors. The problem has become so widespread that there is a shortage of parts to repair these vehicles. I am currently waiting on parts for 8 of these vehicles. 

Problem is the parts are the same defective ones they are replacing.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:17 PM, cioservices said:

I had my 2021 LT Trail Boss with the 5.3L engine towed to the dealership yesterday.  While driving home from work, the truck started a really rough idle, engine knocking, random misfiring, had Service Emergency Brake, Service ESC messages on the display, check engine light and several other dash warning lights.  I pulled a P0300 code for random misfire.  The dealer diagnosed the truck with a lifter failure.  I haven't been told which cylinder(s) had the failure, but has anyone else had this issue on a 2021 Silverado?  I have 6,200 miles on the truck, and this seems a bit soon to have such major issues with an engine.  At what point does GM decide this is a recall and replace all the lifters?  I suspect, based upon what I've read on the forums, most who are plagued with the failing lifter issue, return to the dealership with additional failed 

On 5/12/2021 at 9:17 PM, cioservices said:

I had my 2021 LT Trail Boss with the 5.3L engine towed to the dealership yesterday.  While driving home from work, the truck started a really rough idle, engine knocking, random misfiring, had Service Emergency Brake, Service ESC messages on the display, check engine light and several other dash warning lights.  I pulled a P0300 code for random misfire.  The dealer diagnosed the truck with a lifter failure.  I haven't been told which cylinder(s) had the failure, but has anyone else had this issue on a 2021 Silverado?  I have 6,200 miles on the truck, and this seems a bit soon to have such major issues with an engine.  At what point does GM decide this is a recall and replace all the lifters?  I suspect, based upon what I've read on the forums, most who are plagued with the failing lifter issue, return to the dealership with additional failed 

I have a 2021 have the same problem you do all the same lights , and running like a zombie 🧟‍♂️ truck not a 70k truck I thought by buying a new 2021 I wouldn’t have a issue my dodge 1500 2008 Ram is still going strong with 250,000 miles. I called the service department at my dealer only to be told to find my own rental and towing company I figured spending all this money I wouldn’t have a issue

GM must know something as today they put a special return on the replacement part # prior to a specific build date range.  Any dealer with stock packaged that date or prior they can't use them/sell them.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 11:09 AM, BIGDOGx said:

Problem is the parts are the same defective ones they are replacing.

Very true my 2021 escalade had a cracked valve lifter at 4500 miles, now it's at 9k and guess what! It's back in the shop. Heartbreakimg to say the least!

2021 Trail Boss 6.2L v8. 21000.
Same thing.. parking brake engaged Evs, shaking knocking and all kinds of lights. Had it towed in bc it was unable to be driven to the dealership couldn’t control the brakes or steering well. first thing they said it was injectors then dealership said pushrod bent due to lifter failure replaced 8 lifters number 7. It has been in the shop since June 1 went to pick up Friday within a few minutes struggling to get over 40mph and wouldn’t go over 60mph. Turned around and brought it back for the same issue. Service Manager stated a wire is loose and it will be ready Monday. Let’s see hope so. Brand new truck not even a year. Anyone got this fixed and any further issues ?

18F6916C-5E0F-4B52-ADB6-48B7023A222D.jpeg