Correct oil filter for 2021 5.3L engine

My brand new 2021 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L engine came with the incorrect oil filter on.

I did my first oil change after 1000 miles break in period, I always do this on my new vehicles and never been sorry.

However it had on it an ACDelco PF63 oil filter, after some research I found that the newer engines have higher oil pressure and that the emergency bypass valve in the PF63 opens at 12 psi so it opens too soon causing the oil not to get filtered. I was then told to use the ACDelco PF63E which has an emergency bypass pressure of 22 psi. So I used that. When I went to purchase a new oil filter for my next oil change I was told to use the ACDelco UPF63R because it has a bypass pressure of 36psi. So my question to any GM experts out there is the PF63E the right one or should I switch to the new UPF63R ?  With all these lifter issues going on I don't want unfiltered oil running through them.

• Like 1

PF63 current stock has the 22 psi bypass. The PF63E has been re-labeled to the previous part number. The UPF63R also has a 22 psi bypass. It's just a can upgrade with a 'better' anti drain back valve. 

All in all you OEM factory installed PF63 had the correct bypass setting. Take a breath and thank your GM manufacture for a historic FUBAR in marketing.  

Purolator PL22500 is better than the lot of them. FRAM ULTRA GUARD is also on par. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

Well, what you heard is wrong. They can not deny your warranty if it has a non AC Delco filter on it. We are not required to service our vehicles at the dealership, we do not sign any contract stating that.

I run a WIX filter from Napa on any of these newer engines, 100255 is the part number.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Logical Guy said:

Thanks for the information. However I will pass on the Purolator and the Fram. I have heard that using other filters can lead to GM voiding your warranty should something go wrong and you take it in.

Not remotely true. I use the dealer for NOTHING but warranty and recall work and have never been denied a claim. It's not just untrue. It's illegal. Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

Another lie that refuses to die. :nonod: The burden of proof is on GM not you to prove cause. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disclaimer:  I use aftermarket everything if it's superior to OEM.  

OEM's can deny warranty if the aftermarket product caused the problem or failure. Burden of proof on the OEM.

WIX oil filters had metal parts coming loose from crappy stamping in 1999' ish for the Dodge pickup 5.9L Cummins Diesels and was found liable so they paid for the engines.  

They can deny for engine oil /fluids and lubes, if they can show it caused problems, a popular synthetic had issues with same OEM and was found to have caused engine failures and that fell on the owners of the HD engines because that same company refused to pay for the engines. After review years later we found the oil wasn't the issue.  Like consumers but worse, trucking companies need to move yesterday so they ate the failures.  

Point is use a reputable brand and most likely Magnuson- Moss will protect you.  Grumpy Bear is correct. . 

8 hours ago, Logical Guy said:

Thanks for the information. However I will pass on the Purolator and the Fram. I have heard that using other filters can lead to GM voiding your warranty should something go wrong and you take it in.

I don't find there to be any problem with Purolator filters as I believe their manufacture is Wix (or it was.)

With all of the "bad press" Fram received a decade or more ago with cardboard drainback vales and also disintegrating and destroying some select Diesel motors I'll never use one.  I vowed not to use Fram oil filters since I've started driving.  Air filters, maybe, but I haven't yet either.

All good information above.  Napa house brand is a Wix filter and basically the same thing.  Another option is AMSOIL's EaO17,  but currently it seems AMSOIL is out of stock on a bunch of filters.  Earlier  this past summer it was the diesel EaO52.  Now the gas filters, EaO17, EaO34, Ea15k13, and  Ea15k02 which are all popular filters are out of stock.  No known date of when they will become available. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Logical Guy said:

My brand new 2021 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L engine came with the incorrect oil filter on.

I did my first oil change after 1000 miles break in period, I always do this on my new vehicles and never been sorry.

However it had on it an ACDelco PF63 oil filter, after some research I found that the newer engines have higher oil pressure and that the emergency bypass valve in the PF63 opens at 12 psi so it opens too soon causing the oil not to get filtered. I was then told to use the ACDelco PF63E which has an emergency bypass pressure of 22 psi. So I used that. When I went to purchase a new oil filter for my next oil change I was told to use the ACDelco UPF63R because it has a bypass pressure of 36psi. So my question to any GM experts out there is the PF63E the right one or should I switch to the new UPF63R ?  With all these lifter issues going on I don't want unfiltered oil running through them.

That PSI info is wrong.  PF63 has always been 22psi bypass pressure.  UPF63R is also 22psi but has a higher burst rating filter can, and better construction.

You can use the PF-63/63E (GM dropped the "E" again) or the UPF-63R, or any equivalent filter.  

The new UPF63R oil filter has a thicker outer shell to provide higher burst pressure resistance during cold temperature conditions and greater fatigue strength. Failing to use this filter could result in external oil leaks due to gasket blowout or wrench flute cracks.

• Like 1