Considering a 2018 Sierra Denali ultimate...

Hi guys,  I'm considering purchasing a slightly used 2018 Denali ultimate with the 6.2 Engine/8-sp tranny.  it has 2k miles, is advertised @ 57.8k but can get it for about 55k.   

Originally I was going to buy a new 2018 F150, but really like the look of these Denali's, as well as the big V8.  My concern is I'm reading a lot of horror stories about these truck's reliability both on youtube comments and the consumer affairs website. For starters I am seeing LOT's of people complaining about problems with the transmission and how the dealers are basically doing nothing about it.

How much of this is BS and how much is reality?   For the record this particular truck has a build date of 11/17.

Don't want to spend $55k for a headache.

For the record this is the truck here: https://sayvilleford.com/sale/used-gmc-sierra-1500-denali-long-island-ny/2018-gmc-sierra-1500-denali-3gtu2pej8jg229299

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO

You only hear about the ones with problems.

Many trucks have no issues.

Take it for a long test drive on all types of roads and speeds.

:)

Where did the 2K miles come from?  Demo? Upset customer?  The Denali is a fabulous truck and I would not hesitate to buy a new one.  My concern would be the same for buying any "used" vehicle.  A vehicle can get into a lot of mischief in 2,000 miles! 

56 minutes ago, kbreese said:

Hi guys,  I'm considering purchasing a slightly used 2018 Denali ultimate with the 6.2 Engine/8-sp tranny.  it has 2k miles, is advertised @ 57.8k but can get it for about 55k.   

Originally I was going to buy a new 2018 F150, but really like the look of these Denali's, as well as the big V8.  My concern is I'm reading a lot of horror stories about these truck's reliability both on youtube comments and the consumer affairs website. For starters I am seeing LOT's of people complaining about problems with the transmission and how the dealers are basically doing nothing about it.

How much of this is BS and how much is reality?   For the record this particular truck has a build date of 11/17.

Don't want to spend $55k for a headache.

For the record this is the truck here: https://sayvilleford.com/sale/used-gmc-sierra-1500-denali-long-island-ny/2018-gmc-sierra-1500-denali-3gtu2pej8jg229299

Thanks in advance.

Not sure where you are located , but Laura GMC in Illinois, has atleast 15 Denali Ultimate, priced between $51,000- $55,000 BRAND NEW...with no hidden fees or rebates you don't qualify for..The price on the web is what everyone pays

FWIW, I just bought an SLT there last month , it had a build date of 11/17 as well, 6.2 w/8spd.. no issues at all driving it home almost 900 miles..worked great!

19 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Where did the 2K miles come from?  Demo? Upset customer?  The Denali is a fabulous truck and I would not hesitate to buy a new one.  My concern would be the same for buying any "used" vehicle.  A vehicle can get into a lot of mischief in 2,000 miles! 

Good question and I don't know the answer, going to ask the rep what the story is with the truck. It's actually at a Ford dealership, so I am assuming it was someone who wasn't that happy with it and traded it in for a new F150.  One of the things I don't like about the engine is the GDI which will cause carbon buildup, where as the Ford has dual injection to keep the valves clean. But again, I really like the look of this truck, and they supposedly have a really nice ride quality too with the mag suspension, which I like.

55k is too much, IMO. I would also guess that the truck has some sort of issue if it was traded in w/ 2,000 miles on it. I would be tempted if the price was under $50k, depending on options. And like others said take it for a long test drive on different roads, some places around here do 24 hour extended test drives, I would actually request  24 hour test drive if I were in your position.

13 minutes ago, ajensen383 said:

Not sure where you are located , but Laura GMC in Illinois, has atleast 15 Denali Ultimate, priced between $51,000- $55,000 BRAND NEW...with no hidden fees or rebates you don't qualify for..The price on the web is what everyone pays

FWIW, I just bought an SLT there last month , it had a build date of 11/17 as well, 6.2 w/8spd.. no issues at all driving it home almost 900 miles..worked great!

Wow, if they have no games or fees those are some awesome savings!  Unfortunately I am located on Long Island, NY and everything is a rip-off here. The dealer/truck I linked above is only 15 minutes from my house.  I have two trade-ins, 2012 Mustang GT Premium and 2008 F150 XLT Screw 4x4, which makes it more complicated, and I get a tax break if I trade-in, and I only pay tax on the net amount. However, after seeing all these awesome deals out of state, I am now leaning toward selling my vehicles privately, then buying other of state, either making the trip or having it shipped to me.

32 minutes ago, kbreese said:

Wow, if they have no games or fees those are some awesome savings!  Unfortunately I am located on Long Island, NY and everything is a rip-off here. The dealer/truck I linked above is only 15 minutes from my house.  I have two trade-ins, 2012 Mustang GT Premium and 2008 F150 XLT Screw 4x4, which makes it more complicated, and I get a tax break if I trade-in, and I only pay tax on the net amount. However, after seeing all these awesome deals out of state, I am now leaning toward selling my vehicles privately, then buying other of state, either making the trip or having it shipped to me.

Yeah, its 100% true no games just an extra $182 doc fee & temp tag fee, otherwise what you see on the web is what you pay.. Pplus you can choose your color..I am not too far from you in Poconos of PA...It was a 12 hour drive to get there, but In my case I saved $8,000 over what the dealers were asking here in the NE... One thing with Lauras is that you have to go to the dealership in person to sign everything, they don't ship anything. I assume you can arrange to have it shipper there with you  when you are there signing the papers, and then put it right on the truck..

I read on here a lot about everyone saying to check them out if in the market for a GMC and they were right..... I tried to negotitate with a dealership in NH since it was a lot closer to me, and they just told me there was no way they could come close to Lauras pricing. I could have traded my 2011 in with Lauras, but I feel I could definitely get more money outright and make up for the tax difference selling it outright....

16 minutes ago, ajensen383 said:

Yeah, its 100% true no games just an extra $182 doc fee & temp tag fee, otherwise what you see on the web is what you pay.. Pplus you can choose your color..I am not too far from you in Poconos of PA...It was a 12 hour drive to get there, but In my case I saved $8,000 over what the dealers were asking here in the NE... One thing with Lauras is that you have to go to the dealership in person to sign everything, they don't ship anything. I assume you can arrange to have it shipper there with you  when you are there signing the papers, and then put it right on the truck..

I read on here a lot about everyone saying to check them out if in the market for a GMC and they were right..... I tried to negotitate with a dealership in NH since it was a lot closer to me, and they just told me there was no way they could come close to Lauras pricing. I could have traded my 2011 in with Lauras, but I feel I could definitely get more money outright and make up for the tax difference selling it outright....

Cool, my brother lives in Kunkletown.  Originally when I was trying to buy an F150 here locally I couldn't work out a deal, as same story, no one will give me near what other out of state dealers are advertising. It's frustrating.  How long ago did you buy from Laura GMC? I see you have a 2011?

I have a 2014 that is a bad one, and a 2015 that has none of the common issues. Hit or miss. If they will let you, test drive it for a day or two. Put a few hundred miles on it on different road surfaces to see if it is a "Shaker". If they don't want you to do that there is probably a reason. I would feel skeptical, why was it turned in so fast, the guy couldn't afford it, or was it a problematic unit? My 2014 shakes, the other grievances I have are minor. If this truck shakes, walk away, there will be no consolidation with GM over the issue and the solutions to the issue are not cheap out of pocket. Aside from shaking, I wouldn't be concerned as you still have lots of warranty left. 

24 minutes ago, kbreese said:

Cool, my brother lives in Kunkletown.  Originally when I was trying to buy an F150 here locally I couldn't work out a deal, as same story, no one will give me near what other out of state dealers are advertising. It's frustrating.  How long ago did you buy from Laura GMC? I see you have a 2011?

Nice, Kunkletown isn't too far from me, in the same "area" of the state... I drove my truck home 3 weeks ago on Friday  from Laura GMC....Havent had time to update my profie here though..lol....The 2011 will be for sale soon

2 hours ago, kbreese said:

I'm actually considering an SLT with the premium plus package now, as I might be able to get atleast $10k off MSRP from a local dealer.....does that still have the LED headlights?

The Premium Plus package has the signature  LED  headlights. Pretty sure you need that package to get the LED headlights.

Why was it traded in with 2k miles would be my worry... is it a vibrator? Just make sure to get it up to 80 mph on your test drive. As others have said though, for $55k you can get new. I probably would shoot for $51-52k.

20 hours ago, kbreese said:

Nice, Kunkletown isn't too far from me, in the same "area" of the state... I drove my truck home 3 weeks ago on Friday  from Laura GMC....Havent had time to update my profie here though..lol....The 2011 will be for sale soon

Archived