6.2L (L9H) Owners - Get all your questions answered here

Damn, you're getting better mileage than I do with my 5.3! :lol: I'm guessing my locking out 5th/6th gear in town is what kills me but it drives better that way.

Yup, If I lock out 5/6 gears in town it actually goes down to 11-13 mpg in town but I'm usually beating on it pretty good at the same time, as well. I live in a large city and only drive 4 miles round trip to work everyday too so I'm usually no better than 15 mpg on average.

Edited by ChevyTech77

sorry about the 1/2 commment. I had a feeling after I posted that...it was wrong. So this L9H 6.2 L guy is basically what some refer to as a heavy half.....right? This is the motor that that claims it can tow 10,500 lbs? Also, the mileage above.....what gears did you have in back. I ask because I have the 5.3L Z71 3.73 gears and I get 13.5-17.5 mpg. That 17.5 is if all the stars align with pure highway driving and no load. It's hard to achieve. A good overall number for me is 15.5.

sorry about the 1/2 commment. I had a feeling after I posted that...it was wrong. So this L9H 6.2 L guy is basically what some refer to as a heavy half.....right? This is the motor that that claims it can tow 10,500 lbs? Also, the mileage above.....what gears did you have in back. I ask because I have the 5.3L Z71 3.73 gears and I get 13.5-17.5 mpg. That 17.5 is if all the stars align with pure highway driving and no load. It's hard to achieve. A good overall number for me is 15.5.

I have the NHT max trailer package with 3.73's and get 13-17mpg. Your 5.3L should do better than that :dunno:

Edited by Stevens11

sorry about the 1/2 commment. I had a feeling after I posted that...it was wrong. So this L9H 6.2 L guy is basically what some refer to as a heavy half.....right?

The NHT "max tow pkg" adds ~300 lbs to the regular 7000 lb GVWR on a 4wd 1500 (7300 lb total), a 9.5 ring gear (vs 8.6), disc brakes, and a little stiffer spring set. It's a heavier rating, but the F150 is the only model that offers what I would really call a "heavy half"... since those are available with a GVWR of 8200 lbs (usually special order). The 2500HD has much heavier running gear (9600 lb GVWR), but it drives like a tank in comparison, and the 6.0 is less efficient than the 6.2 in a 1500.

Edited by music
  • Like 1

In town i typically get 13-13.5 and on the highway i have gotten a worst of 13.8(driving 75 in the wind) and a best of 21(driving 55 mostly through flat ground and a few rolling hills) Driving around 75 I usually see 16-17.

In town i typically get 13-13.5 and on the highway i have gotten a worst of 13.8(driving 75 in the wind) and a best of 21(driving 55 mostly through flat ground and a few rolling hills) Driving around 75 I usually see 16-17.

I get about the same as becker .. I just came back from a 200 mile trip doing 70-75 and averaged 16.5 mpg...In the fall I took a highway trip babying it at about 60 and was getting 21 as well.. It all depends on how you drive it... I drive 6 miles to work each way and now in the cold weather I am getting 14.5 or so , but in the summer I was consistently getting 16.5-17... To get decent mileage out of the 6.2 requires a disiplined driver. It likes to eat... With my 2002 with 5.3L It really didnt matter too much how I drove it ,the mileage wouldnt change that much, no matter how I drove it, it would always get between 16 and 17...With the 6.2 beating on it gets me high 13's- low 14's, but with driving like grandpa, I can easily get 16's around town and 19-20 highway.

Hey guys, I got my new sierra a week ago. The 6.2 is amazing and so is the knowledge gained in these threads. First on the list is a K&N intake and a Magnaflow exhaust. After that a custom tune from Nelson this summer, because I can't get a response from BlackBear. Still in the break-in stage and still haven't really got on the gas :nono:

• Like 1

Is the 6.2L in th Silverado & Sierra's also called Vortex Max or is Wiki wrong? I thought the Vortex Max was just for the 6.0L but it is showing this for both, the 6.0L and 6.2L engines. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine

Past weekend went on a 200 mile trip. On the way there going about 75 was getting around 15-15.5. On the way back driving 80 i was avereging 12.5. Not much wind either way. Not great numbers, speed kills mpg's, but it's a truck, i didn't buy it for great mileage, i bought the 6.2 for the POWER!!!

^^ Yes I am finding so far is that it seems my NHT likes to run around 55mph for a better gas mileage. Really, keeping the RPM at or around 1500 is good, much above that is bad HAHA

• Like 1

^^ Yes I am finding so far is that it seems my NHT likes to run around 55mph for a better gas mileage. Really, keeping the RPM at or around 1500 is good, much above that is bad HAHA

I have driven around 55 and i get great mileage, but driving that slow KILLS me. I can drive 65 on highways but anything below 70 on interstate just seems so SLOW.