(2009) GMC Sierra 1500 Towing?

GTR312

Hey Guys,

I'm having a hard time putting my head around this. My manual states my GCWR is 4449KG, On the door panel of my truck it states my GVWR is 3175KG. What is the diffrence between these two numbers? The dry trailer weight is 1459KG, and the weight of the cargo and passengers is 1500KG.

Any help will be great!

That equates to approx. 3300 lbs total weight....

Whats your trucks specs as in crew or extended... 3.42/3.73/410 gears, is the motor 4.8, 5.3 or 6.0?

After that We can help you more :thumbs:

GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating = Max weight of vehicle INCLUDING passengers, cargo, etc.

GCWR: Gross Combined Weight rating = Max weight of loaded tow vehicle + loaded trailer.

So rough estimate, if your GCWR is 11,000lbs, and your GVWR is 7000lbs, your trailer weight (loaded) should not exceed 4,000lbs.

The trailer dry weight (unloaded) that you quoted is about 3200lbs, allowing only for 800 lbs more weight (fluids, bedding, dishes, etc, etc)

That's assuming I have my numbers right... please someone correct me if I'm wrong. :seeya:

I made a mistake guys the trailer dry weight is 1600 Ibs. That gives me 2400 Ibs of equipment, from the way you calculated mc7719?

I'm still a little confused, why subtract GVWR from GCWR. I don't think I will have 7000 Ibs in my truck? Could'nt the left over GVWR be carried over to the loaded trailer weight? Which will give me more towing weight?

no. gvwr is carried on the trucks axles and your trailer weight minus your toung weight is carried on your trailer axles. to find the correct weight on the truck do not forget to add your toung weight.

just like, when not towing a trailer you can not add the rest of the gcwr to the load the truck carries.

I THINK the "rule of thumb" is to use the GVWR, so that it allows for margins of error and to be sure you're within the GCWR (and avoid having to "weigh" everything you put in/on the truck)

I've always done my calculation using GVWR just to be safe. Once you get 98L of gasoline on board, luggage, a few big guys, you start loading up the truck pretty quick.

EDIT: Thanks herm0016 for clearing it up! I totally forgot to include tongue weight as well.

Example (numbers don't represent any specific vehicle, just an example of the calculation)

Truck

Curb weight = 4823 lbs

2 people = 320

Fuel = 180

Stuff = 50

Trailer tongue weight = 580 (Typically should be 10-15% of trailer weight)

Total laden weight = 5953 (GVWR = 6400)

Trailer

Dry weight = 4499 lbs

Water = 400

Propane = 80

Stuff = 500

Total weight of trailer = 5479 (GVWR = 6158)

Gross combined weight = 5953 + 5479 - 580 = 10852 (GCWR = 14000)

EDIT: transposed two numbers. Should read right now.

Ok, I see. Makes a lot more sence. I think there a typo in your numbers though when you add the combined gross weight. Couple of questions and I will stop bugging you guys :D Why subtract the tounge weight, shoudn't it add more weigt to the truck? On the axles more specific? I know I need the specific size for the hitch ball for the coupler but is there any specific's on the ball mounts (Length and stregnth) Or just get one the same level as the trailer hitch?

As the tongue weight is assigned to the TRUCK, it is included to ensure the weight on the axles isn't overloaded (within the trucks GVWR). As for the total Combined weight of the rig, the TW is not in addition as it is downward weight, the actual weight of the two units themselves added together results in the Combined weight. Hm. It makes more sense in my head LOL

Archived