Antifreeze smell in cab

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, looks like it's time to call the dealer again and have a talk with the service manager. Not looking forward to fighting fogged windows for three hundred miles.

Hey watanacreek,

I can understand your concern in this matter. We would be happy to reach out to your dealership regarding this issue. If this is something you would like our assistance with please PM us your full name, contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.

GM Customer Care

• 4 weeks later...

My 2014 Silverado was diagnosed at 1300 miles with a leaking heater coil. I had to have it replaced under warranty and yes they had to take the dash completely apart. I was told that the failure was due to a manufacturing flaw on a crimp fitting on the heater core. Truck seems to be fine now except for a lingering anti freeze smell at times. Hoping the smell will subside over time. Sounds like GM needs to have their supplier come up with a new design.

Mine had antifreeze smell from day one. I bought it in October and now have about (2300km) 1300 miles on it? Dealer decided to finally replace heater core Dec 18 and still waiting to get it fixed. They also ordered in a heater motor at the same time and apparently is on back order. I am very disappointed with this truck. Its still pulling to the left( after dealer doing an alignment), totally dislike the steering and now the drivers seat belt wont retract. Keeps getting jammed between door and seat

I am looking at getting a 2014 but they seem to be having issuies.

Fuel pumps, sliding rear glass, heater core leaking, and don't forget the big one where your truck could catch on fire. Is is all within about six months of production. Makes you wonder what will be happening in a year. I am a GM fan but they have stumbled on these new trucks.

I am looking at getting a 2014 but they seem to be having issuies.

Fuel pumps, sliding rear glass, heater core leaking, and don't forget the big one where your truck could catch on fire. Is is all within about six months of production. Makes you wonder what will be happening in a year. I am a GM fan but they have stumbled on these new trucks.

You're delusional if you think that other makes or models don't suffer from manufacturing defects. The sky is not falling.

I have had three new vehicles in the last seven years. Only had two issues on those. One was leaking transmission cooler hoses after 3.5 years.

Other was a/c metal line that hooked to condenser was not welded good at fitting and leaked out freon. Took about 8 months from when I bought it to run out of freon.

These were both GM trucks. Now I have a dodge ram truck that I have had for about 16 months, just got a recall on reprogramming pcm for emissions compliance.

Nothing about quitting due to fuel pump issues, tearing the dashboard apart for leaking heater core, or better yet catching on fire if you leave it idling.

The ram truck was the one I figured to have trouble but it has been a good tuck so far.

Like said I am a GM fan but it looks to be like they are having too many problems right off the bat. Folks say it is first year bugs, whatever they did not reinvent the wheel. They have tested these components for a long time before they were given the go ahead for production.

Feel like the fuel pumps, heater cores and rear window regulators are poorly made by outside vendor. GM is not directly to blame but they approved this vendor to supply said parts. GM is made to look bad because of it even if it is not all their fault.

I have had many new vehicles over the years and never have I had one with this many issues almost immediately. My last GM was a 2007 Silverado LTZ and was the first year for this body style. The only warranty work required on this truck was having the heated washer fluid disconnected because some were getting so hot it melted then tank. I am sure this will be a good truck but hoping to get over these issues soon. Not many people would post on here if they are having no issues so I am sure 1000's of them are working great.

When I first brought my truck home with about 40 miles on it in my driveway, I noticed the windshield in front of the passenger seat was fogged down by the dash after turning off the engine. I thought it was weird, but didn't worry too much about it. It did it again after turning off the engine for maybe a day or two longer. Since then, the problem hasn't reappeared. Maybe the hose just had time to seal up a little, but sure, it shouldn't have done it in the first place. I have an appointment Friday to have the ECM flashed for the fire thing, and I may bring this up. And I will watch for fogging very closely, although I have not noticed it since those first few days with the truck.

December 31,2013 I bought a new 2014 Silverado High Country Crew Cab with 2 miles on it. On drive home at 45 degrees I noticed the passengers side front windshield and both side windows fogged up. I turned up the defrost to full and they stayed fogged up except for the area in front of the passengers mirror. I thought there was a strong new vehicle smell but it was sweet like syrup. If i crack the window on that side it clears up but that is not how it is suppose to work. I told my dealer and had a mechanic drive with me 2 miles and he said it was antifreeze and he was starting to get a headache. (me too but i think mine is stress induced by a new vehicle needing major repair from the get go.) They corrected the fire problem with a software revision but returned the truck and told me they couldn't find a leak so they put in a "DYE" and told me to drive it and if it happens again to let them know. I drive 50 miles to work and just 2 miles on my way home it all happens again. The "DYE" may have some kind of sodium silicate (water glass) or something to stop the leak. It hasn't worked yet after over 150 miles so will go back to the dealer again. I really like this truck but problems like burning up and heater core leaks should have been handled before it gets to the customer. But that is in a perfect world and that is what the warranty if for.

I will let all know what happens next. Thanks for the info from this forum. It does help confirm what I had thought was the problem. :throwup:

Here is an update on my heater core problem. Drove my 2014 Sierra 300 miles to the nearest GMC dealer, roll of paper towels to keep windshield clear enough to see through. Drivers side window open about 3 inches at 20 below zero so I could breath fresh air. Called a week before I made the trip, to make sure they had a heater core in stock and was told they did. Dropped the truck off at the dealer, they then told me no heater core in stock and had to order it. It took five days to fix the truck. On the positive side, it looks like they fixed the problem. I am a long time GM customer, but I may be changing my mind. I asked about the exhaust fire recall and they told me they had no word from GM on that recall as of Jan 15.

Won_Hunglo, on 15 Nov 2013 - 09:53, said:

This might be your first GM truck so bear with me. GM puts stop leak in from the factory. Often heater cores leak from the supplier, letting in death cool into the heater box. The stop leak takes time to Band-Aid the leak. Until then, you will smell the death cool. Sometimes a little will seep out and the smell will return. The truck will have no problem passing a pressure test. The solution is to never change your death cool after 3/36 is up.

That's one of your funniest posts to date. GM uses BAR stop leak in their new heater cores? I suppose they also use Motomedic and Slick50 in the engine oil and Transmission Doctor in the transmission before the trucks leave the factory? :lol:

Archived