Antifreeze smell in cab

My truck drives fine, and I don't have fogging windows, but when I have the air on, but not the AC, it's still fine, and I have the new car smell, etc, but when I stop the truck, and get back into it later, I will get just the very slightest whiff of a sweet smell I thought was probably coolant, but it's so minor I questioned it.. It also goes away almost instantly, it may be there for 2 or 3 seconds, coming from the vents, and then it's gone.. Lastnight it was raining very hard, and the windows would fog, but when I put the defroster/floor on it went right away. However I did notice, while it was rainy outside, when I got back into my truck and started it while it was in defroster/floor mode I would get a little puff of fog near the vent on the dash, but was gone in a couple seconds.. Should I be worrying about this? Or seeing if it goes away? Truck is 3,000 miles and 3 months old. Also it doesn't happen all the time just periodically.

Thanks

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so far it seems it may have gone away.. probably from the stop leak.. if it becomes a problem I'll bring it in but even the few times it happened it was so quick and minor I didn't know for sure if it was even coolant.. I didn't use anything but the ac since I bought it until recently so maybe it just had to work in the bandaid..

Thanks so far it seems it may have gone away.. probably from the stop leak.. if it becomes a problem I'll bring it in but even the few times it happened it was so quick and minor I didn't know for sure if it was even coolant.. I didn't use anything but the ac since I bought it until recently so maybe it just had to work in the bandaid..

Don't worry, it will be fine, until right after you run out of warranty. Replacing the heater core probably won't cost more than a couple of thousand bucks.

Don't worry, it will be fine, until right after you run out of warranty. Replacing the heater core probably won't cost more than a couple of thousand bucks.

Yeah I figured that. I figure if it lasts for the next couple years I could always drain the system for the last year and hope it acts up.. if I keep the truck longer than the 3/36 I'll probably get their extended warranty

• 2 weeks later...

So, dealer called last Friday and said they opened a case on my truck. They said since it passed a pressure test the heater core was fine, even know my truck stinks of coolant (smells like maple syrup) and my 2014 LT loaner does not.

After getting progressively more angry with the advisor, i was able go get the North East Regional managers cell phone number. End result, assistant manager then smelt what i was talking about and ordered the heater core.

My truck drives fine, and I don't have fogging windows, but when I have the air on, but not the AC, it's still fine, and I have the new car smell, etc, but when I stop the truck, and get back into it later, I will get just the very slightest whiff of a sweet smell I thought was probably coolant, but it's so minor I questioned it.. It also goes away almost instantly, it may be there for 2 or 3 seconds, coming from the vents, and then it's gone.. Lastnight it was raining very hard, and the windows would fog, but when I put the defroster/floor on it went right away. However I did notice, while it was rainy outside, when I got back into my truck and started it while it was in defroster/floor mode I would get a little puff of fog near the vent on the dash, but was gone in a couple seconds.. Should I be worrying about this? Or seeing if it goes away? Truck is 3,000 miles and 3 months old. Also it doesn't happen all the time just periodically.

Thanks

Complain about it so it gets documented. More they replace the more dealers will recognize theirs an issue.

This is exactly what mine was typically doing (although at times the smell is much more pungent). Do not let them use the "passed pressure test" line on you because a tech does not want to do this long job. If they smell it, yet it passes a pressure test they can call and push them to get approval to warranty a heater core.

Dex-Cool has a very distinctive smell- like maple syrup. Actually- smells exactlt like maple/brown sugar quaker oatmeal lol

Funny; a friend told me she wondered why my truck always smelt like breakfast. (That was the fourth person who made a comment along those lines)

Where are you located out of curiosity?

Actually I don't know if mine is antifreeze now.. I dont run recirc so I get all kinds of smells in the cab driving around however this smell which I at first thought was sweet may possibly be a gas smell.. It's so barely noticeable it's hard to tell. Probably UN noticeable to most I'm just super sensitive to sounds and smells

Actually I don't know if mine is antifreeze now.. I dont run recirc so I get all kinds of smells in the cab driving around however this smell which I at first thought was sweet may possibly be a gas smell.. It's so barely noticeable it's hard to tell. Probably UN noticeable to most I'm just super sensitive to sounds and smells

The dealer will never smell it because they dont want these big annoying warranty jobs.

In fact, im convinced they initially didnt smell my trucks leak because the tech did not want the job.

8 days later; and my truck is still sitting in the dealers parking lot (advisor said their waiting for parts but parts the dept looked up the RO and told me the parts had come in monday). This leads me to believe that they dont really want to fix it. Ill give it till Saturday and ill seewhat kind of jerk off story they give me.

Although im annoyed, im pounding the death out of their 2014 Silverado LT loaner in the Snow. These trucks do great axis spins.

So you guys that are having the heater core issue could you possibly list out your build dates? I have not noticed anything but will be on the look out. My build date is 12-11-14

IMAG1044.jpgSo you guys that are having the heater core issue could you possibly list out your build dates? I have not noticed anything but will be on the look out. My build date is 12-11-14

Mine was built around the same time (12/2013) from the mexico plant.

Its currently going on day 15 at the dealer after really insistently pushing them to replace the heater core. Had to push them on all angles; involve corporate/regional manager, have a friend call the service director.

GM's initial reaction (after the dealer opened a case) was that if it passed the pressure test that the heater core was not to be replaced. After pressure, The dealers asst. manager had to call, and state that 2 out of 3 people at the dealer sat in the truck and smelt coolant from the HVAC. They reluctantly approved the repair.

Thank god they gave me a 4WD loaner with this snow!

Mine was built around the same time (12/2013) from the mexico plant.

Its currently going on day 15 at the dealer after really insistently pushing them to replace the heater core. Had to push them on all angles; involve corporate/regional manager, have a friend call the service director.

GM's initial reaction (after the dealer opened a case) was that if it passed the pressure test that the heater core was not to be replaced. After pressure, The dealers asst. manager had to call, and state that 2 out of 3 people at the dealer sat in the truck and smelt coolant from the HVAC. They reluctantly approved the repair.

Thank god they gave me a 4WD loaner with this snow!

Drive it like you stole it. I hope your dealer does not monitor these forums LOL. Hard to believe that it would take over two weeks to get something done.

Drive it like you stole it. I hope your dealer does not monitor these forums LOL. Hard to believe that it would take over two weeks to get something done.

Just got it back- so far i only amell the cleaned they wiped the heater box out with.

I think they took their time because i had a Silverado loaner truck. Id rather have had the tech take his time than rush.

Seat feels better too!

• 1 month later...

FYI,

Just purchased 2014 GMC Sierra SLE. Vehicle came from another dealership. Once it arrived and I test drove it I could smell the odor in the cab. Salesman said he couldn't, but later had a "Younger noise" as he put it smell. Thank god he could. So they fix a problem with the radiator, according to them. They tell me I'm all set. I go to drive off the lot, and the smell is still there. I thought OK maybe some antifreeze spilled onto the engine block and it will burn off. Well it didnt. I drove back to dealer and told them to take back this piece of Sh$#. Long story short. They contacted GM and found there are defective heater cores. GM is not sure at this time which VIN numbers were effected, but they are working on it. So get ready for recall number 6!!! Dealership has been great. They are replacing the core. I was going to tell them to get me another truck, but there is a good chance I have the same problem, so I figure they mind as well just fix it now. maybe I'll work on getting me some side steps for free due to all the aggravation. I wont hold my breath. So all you out there with this smell. Get your heater core replaced.....

Archived