Antifreeze smell in cab

I don't smell DexCool, I smell another cover up by GM instead of a recall and repair. In the 2011's theyblamed it on a pinched drain pipe. Mine flooded my cab, They first agreed heater core then changed story (my guess it stop leak). Starting to feel uneasy that I just ordered a new 2500.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're having a similar problem with the Cruze too. My Wife's goes in Monday because you can smell antifreeze inside the car. They think it's the water pump, but won't know until they look at it. It could also be a bad overflow tank cap or a bad cowl seal from what I've read. Not sure if the new trucks would have any of this in common or not?

Sent from my Droid Ultra

yep tag on another few thousand dollars too. The reason all the jobs are outside the US is because its cheaper. The consumer wants cheaper. Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC using Tapatalk

Are these trucks cheap? Who reaps the benefits of having marginal quality parts manufactured in China and Mexico for a fraction of the cost of good quality US made parts, and then assembling these vehicles in Mexico? I do not think it is the customer, or a US worker. No, the customer gets a super expensive vehicle that GM made with cheap parts and cheap labor, so the profit margins are really high. Once again, how does the customer benefit from this? Please explain.

My truck was built in Mexico. You can check by looking at your VIN. If it starts with a 3 its Mexico, a 1 means it was built in the US. Looking at most of the recalls and complaints it appears that most where built in Mexico. Since my truck has been in the shop the dealership as given me a loaner. Truck rides and handles great no smell...Guess what VIN starts with a 1...Good ol USA!!

My truck was built in Mexico. You can check by looking at your VIN. If it starts with a 3 its Mexico, a 1 means it was built in the US. Looking at most of the recalls and complaints it appears that most where built in Mexico. Since my truck has been in the shop the dealership as given me a loaner. Truck rides and handles great no smell...Guess what VIN starts with a 1...Good ol USA!!

It's easier than that..crew cabs mexico. .double cabs fort Wayne. .that's for 1500. But all these bad heater cores came from a u.s. supplier

It's easier than that..crew cabs mexico. .double cabs fort Wayne. .that's for 1500. But all these bad heater cores came from a u.s. supplier

• 10 months later...

Need help from gm customer service manager my new gmc 1500 has same smell passed pressure test and I still smell antifreeze smell inside of the cab. Dealer said nothing wrong with truck but makes me sick to smell this smell for a hr one way in to work each day. If someone could please contact me to resolve this issue it would be greatly appreciated. I don't know how else to resolve this ?

• 2 weeks later...

Truck back at dealer and getting cab air filter replaced. Said don't see a leak this is really getting old quick I can't pay for a truck I can't stand to drive in due to the smell of coolant. I'm going to have to get a new truck from a new manufacturer

• 8 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I so glad to have found this site. Just bought a 2015 Canyon. Great truck but the burning smell is really bad. First noticed it with the AC, brought it in to dealer and they said it was a clogged drain line. The AC was a little better but now with the cold weather the heater smell is giving me a head ache by the end of the day. Brought it back and service said couldn't find any ant freeze leaks so did a dye test. Bringing back on Mon. to see what they say. I will be telling them what I have found on this site. This leaking heater core issue is a real problem. It's not healthy breathing ant freeze fumes all day. I drive a lot. I' m not accepting drive it a few thousand miles, it will go away. I post the out come after Mon.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I so glad to have found this site. Just bought a 2015 Canyon. Great truck but the burning smell is really bad. First noticed it with the AC, brought it in to dealer and they said it was a clogged drain line. The AC was a little better but now with the cold weather the heater smell is giving me a head ache by the end of the day. Brought it back and service said couldn't find any ant freeze leaks so did a dye test. Bringing back on Mon. to see what they say. I will be telling them what I have found on this site. This leaking heater core issue is a real problem. It's not healthy breathing ant freeze fumes all day. I drive a lot. I' m not accepting drive it a few thousand miles, it will go away. I post the out come after Mon.

Thanks

Took canyon into dealer after dye was added. Sure enough the heater core was found to be leaking. My service rep has ordered a new core and will be installing tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed it all turns out good. Will repost after I get the truck back with results. From what I've been reading here one day install sounds optimistic.

Happy to report my local GM service center did an outstanding job and replaced the heater core on my 2015 Canyon. They even gave me a loaner truck. No nonsense service just fixed it correctly. It's so nice driving the truck without that horrible smell. Couldn't be happier.

• 1 month later...

My 2014 scsb z71 had a leaking heater core...dealer replaced it at 32000 miles no charge...glad it happened before 3 yr 36000 warranty ran out...had whole dash and column out..did good job i guess..no rattles, and no smells after i changed the cabin air filter myself because filters arent covered under warranty...the filter had a bit of a dexcool smell to it until i changed it...

• 1 month later...

I had a slight smell in cab but could smell it worse after I got out of the truck. I just bought this truck had 55000 miles on it I have only put 4000 in 4 months. So I called the dealer where I bought it they said bring it in. So I drive 1.5 hrs one way they look at it an hour later they say radiator is seeping. Then they proceeded to tell me it was going to be 1000.00 to replace radiator and thermostat since my truck was out of the 3/36 warranty.

This is a load of crap they showed me where it was seeping and clearly it has been doing this before I bought it. I think they are trying to get money out of me on something they should have fixed before they sold it. So I contacted another dealer closer to me and they tell me that it is a know problem on the 14 and some 15 Silverado's and there is a new designed thermostat that helps to regulate press so it doesn't happen again.

So I asked them if there was anything that they could do which there wasn't. If this is a known problem on the Silverado then GM should fix it. It is ridiculous that a truck with less than 60000 miles that the radiator is leaking. So I called GM and they say there are no problems with the trucks (ok) I said we'll then you should look at all the complaints on the radiators and heater cores that have been replaced. I think this will be my last GM product I have owned them for 25 yrs but the quality control sucks. Here is a pic of the radiator post-155704-14578282173_thumb.jpgpost-155704-145782824385_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

post-155704-14578282173_thumb.jpg

post-155704-145782824385_thumb.jpg

Archived